Home   >  Support   >  Knowledge Base   >  Mac Data Recovery
   Stellar on Google   DMCA.com

How to recover data from unmountable volumes on Macintosh OS X?

A hard drive is divided into different logical volumes so that system files, software files and user data can be stored independently. These logical volumes created on Mac OS help manage, store and access the data accordingly. On booting a Mac, the local file systems are mounted by the OS X which helps the OS to gather information about the corresponding volumes on the system. That clearly means, in order to gain the access of the data from a logical volume, it must be first mounted properly on the OS X. However, few times due to an unpredictable error a volume may go unmounted leading the data to become inaccessible. The most common reason behind a unmountable logical volumes are: Virus/Malware Infection, File System Corruption, OS Malfunction etc.

For such situations, Stellar Phoenix Macintosh Data Recovery has come up with an innovative solution and to easily perform data recovery from unmountable volumes. With the 'Quick Recovery' option of the software, you can recover all your data from the 'No Mountable Volumes' quickly and efficiently. Below steps will give you a clear idea on the easy recovery process of the software:

Data Recovery From Unmountable Volumes or Drives

Run Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery and click the 'Quick Recovery' icon under the 'Drive Recovery' tab.

The 'Select Volume' window opens, which lists all the mounted as well as unmounted volumes in your Mac system. The volumes which were not mounted earlier will be shown as different icons (not so prominent), along with the other mountable Mac volumes. Select the 'No Mountable Mac Volume' and click 'Scan' button.

The software scans the selected volume and lists all the recoverable files and folders in a tree view. While scanning the volume, the software shows preview of the recoverable files. Also, after completion of the scanning process, you can click any file from the tree and see the preview, using Mac preview.

Select the files or folders to be recovered and click the 'Recover' button on the bottom right corner of the interface.  Provide the destination location and the software will save all the recovered data at the specified location.

Category: Mac Data Recovery

Last updated on April 3, 2014 with 15543 views

kp.gores
May 3, 2012 11:45 am

Hi, i di use stellar phoenix version 4 on my powerpc mac. It run about 1 1/2 days and came up with results. I saved the scan. The applications documentation promises that one can resume restore from a saved scan. I shut down my mac and later wantedt to c ontinue with restoring using the saved scan file. THIS DOES nOT WORK. AM i doing something wrong or does the software simply does not have this feature?

kp.gores
May 6, 2012 11:24 am

found the solution myself:
the disk in question is external. so it may mount at different mount point after unmount/restart etc.
In my saved scan file the disk was expected at /dev/rdisk2, but when I resumed the restore it was mounted at /dev/rdisk3 - thus the saved scan file was useless for stellarphoenix4.
Simply editing the file did work - resuming a restore is possible.

If the current version of stellarphoenix behaves the same, dear developers. please fix this. You cannot expect to find a disk at the same mount point when using a saved scan.

regards
kp

May 10, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks Kp.gores,

We will definitely work on the suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,

mutt65
May 25, 2012 08:27 pm

Almost seems to easy.........will be trying it soon and will report the volume recovery steps listed in the KnowledgeBase.

pavso
June 21, 2012 07:31 pm

Considering Stellar Recovery for Mac OS X Lion and WD external drive unmountable, after I changed permissions and locked it in the "Get Info window" trying to restrict access, after having received lots of spam mail. Since disk did not boot, I replaced it with new internal disk and have it external. Disk utility does not permit to verify or repair it.

Thanks a lot!

Jose Sosa
October 16, 2012 04:06 pm

I downloaded your evaluation version for Mac. In the system requirements you specify at least a G4, Leopard and Power PC compatibility. I have a G5, Leopard and, of course a PowerPC, but the downloaded file only runs on Intel.

So, do you have a version that runs on PowerPC?

Thanks!

October 17, 2012 02:37 am

Hi Jose Sosa,

If you see under free download button their is a link of Power PC User's Download here. Or you can directly download from here: http://download.stellarinfo.com/stellar/StellarPhoenixMacDataRecoveryPPC.dmg.zip

Thanks...

Michael Topel
March 11, 2013 01:57 am

I downloaded the trial on my older intel iMac and scanned an external drive that had been partially re-partitioned by mistake, and then lost power during that process. The drive is inaccessible. It has taken 3 days to complete the propgress bar and has sat for another day with the progress bar at 100%. The program seems to be running. This is a 1.5tb drive. Ideas?

March 13, 2013 10:36 am

Hi Michael,

Please find the possible solution for your query:

1) Kindly check if the Mac recovery software is generating on the fly preview while scanning your hard drive. If the preview is flashing on the screen then leave the Mac until the entire scan is finished (It will take time because of the HDD size). Once it completes you would be able to recover those previewed files.

2) If the scan is running without any sort of preview then cancel the scan. As you mentioned you lost power while re-partitioning the drive, there are high chances of the partition getting instantly corrupted due to halt. Run disk utility to fix errors existing on the partition. You should also try Stellar Volume Repair (http://www.stellarinfo.com/mac-software/volume-repair.php) to analyze the directory structure of the hard drive partition.

kyle
April 4, 2013 12:12 pm

i did a quick recovery on my external hard drive and it finished then i saved the files but they wont open in anything

April 5, 2013 10:01 am

Hi Kyle,

We would like ask few questions like - did you save the files to a volume other than the one you scanned with the software. Recovered files should be saved to a different location.

Also, at the time of scan did you check the preview of recovered files before saving them to Mac? If the files preview were fine then they should open normally after you save them. But if corrupted files are recovered it will fail to generate preview and will not launch even after saving it to desktop.

Richard
July 22, 2013 04:02 pm

Hi folks,

My ext hard drive stopped mounting due to a power spike I guess, ran the scan and it came back with all my directory structure and files.. very exciting. I paid my money and recovered the files, and it all looks perfect but the files are all unreadable (primarily different types of video files, but also jpgs.

Why are the recovered files unusable? Is there a setting somewhere or a trick that I'm missing?

Many thanks,

Richard

July 23, 2013 08:14 am

Hi Richard,

Are all videos & image files unreadable or some of them are not showing?
Stellar Phoenix Mac data recovery will recover your data from the external hard drive even if its in corrupted form.

I suggest you try to run a MOV repair or JPEG repair software to see if the corrupted files can be repaired.

Richard
July 23, 2013 10:58 am

Hi Amit,

Thanks for getting back. Yes, all the files in their correct directory structure appear on my recovery list, however all of the files are unplayable once recovered. Would you have a recommendation for a good video file repair utility?

Many thanks,

Richard

July 23, 2013 04:12 pm

Hi Richard,

we have Stellar Phoenix MOV Repair tool that fixes corrupt mov files.
If you have any other video formats then please search appropriate tool for the same, I don't have any idea about other video repairing tools.

greg
March 9, 2014 02:03 am

hello. i get to the point where I have selected from the list on the left, it shows up on the right window, I go to press the "recover" button, and it's not responding. heartbreak. am i doing something wrong. please help. again, the recover button is not responding to my clicking.

March 10, 2014 11:16 am

Hey Greg,

We'd recommend you to uninstall & reinstall the software and then try again. It should work after reinstallation.

Let us know for further query!!

Charles
June 23, 2014 10:21 am

Hi I'm trying to recover some files from an unmounted external drive, but when I select it on the 'Select Volume' stage and press 'Scan' I instantly get told "No Data Found". The only way I can seem to recover the files is if I use the 'Raw Recovery' or 'Photo Recovery' options. Which is okay but sorts all the recovered files into mass grouped folders putting all the jpgs, avi, mp3 etc together despite on there original location on the uncounted drive.

Personally I don't feel like trawling through 1.6 TB of files and trying to work out where they belong! :/

Any idea how I can sort this?

June 24, 2014 09:34 am

Hi Charles,

Please find answer to your query below.

'No data found' message will come in case of unmountable volumes only, if File System Area of Volume is Zero filled or heavily damaged. In this case we can't recover data in originally hierarchy.
Raw recovery and Photo Recovery option will only help in this case as you told.
There is no original data hierarchy in both options. You have to choose selected file format for both option to recover only needed data.

Quick, Formatted and Deleted recovery for HFS+ only works if File System Area not completely damaged. Once try with Formatted/lost file recovery.

Hope this helps!! Do report back.

Jose G.
July 31, 2014 08:49 pm

I have a failed external 3 TB ExFAT HDD. Disk Utility cannot recognize it. I would like to know if your software can read the disk before buying. I downloaded ToolBox and MacDataRecovery demo versions and both fail to find the disk.
Questions:
1. Is this a limitation of the demo versions or the disk is so damaged that your products cannot mount it at all?
2. Is there any way I can test if I can use one of your products to repair or recover my disk?

August 1, 2014 06:46 am

Hey Josh,

Detection of a failed hard drive depends upon the level of corruption. Mac data recovery can read a logically corrupted drive but not a physical one. May be your drive is physically damaged or severely corrupted. We recommend you try Stellar Volume Optimizer to check if it is scanned by the tool for repair. You can download from here http://www.stellarinfo.com/mac-software/mac-volume-optimizer.php

Note: This tool repair logically corrupted HFS, FAT HDD but doesn't repair any physical damage. Good Luck.

k
October 5, 2014 05:45 am

I followed all these steps and quite a bit of my data was recovered but there is still some missing and a lot of files with .part extensions. Is there anything I can do about those? Thank you!

October 9, 2014 03:36 am

Hi

You can manually add .part file type to the header section of the software. To add file extension follow below steps:

1) Run Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery.
2) Click Preferences button on the main user interface or select Preferences option from
StellarPhoenixMacDataRecovery menu.
3) Click Add Header button in Preferences window. Add Header window open.
4) Browse to the location of file type you want to add.
5) Drag n drop the file at the place where 'Drag 10 sample files here' is written. You need to add 10 samples / files of the same type (.part) to include it in the list of supported file types.
6) Name of the added file type will be listed in the right hand side box
7) Type in header file name in the dialog box and then select the header file type from Select Group drop down list and the Add Header Automatically screen 37 size from Put Average Size of File text box.
8) Click Add Header button.

Now run scan again and this time the software will scan & recover drive for .part file(s).

Hope this helps!!

Let us know your further query.