How to Resolve 'Excel cannot open the file '(filename)'.xlsx' Error of MS Excel 2007?

A common error message that an Excel 2007 user generally encounters when he tries to open a spreadsheet received in an email is:

"Excel cannot open the file 'filename.xlsx' because the file format for the file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

However, this error message is not limited to the Excel files that a user gets via emails. Instead, it is often encountered with commonly used files also. You may find that an Excel workbook, on which they were working for a long time, suddenly starts throwing this error message when you try to open it.

To find out the unique number associated with this error message, press 'CTRL+SHIFT+I' together. After that, you get the following number besides the error message:

"101590"

This error message is encountered when:

Causes:

The file is not compatible with the version of Excel that is used.

The file has got corrupt.

Resolutions: You can try the below mentioned resolutions to rectify this error message and regain access to your Excel sheet.

Change the File Extension of Your Excel Sheet: Sometimes, the problem is seen due to the unsupported file extension of your Excel file. To check the support of xlsx extension, go to 'My Computer'. Browse 'Tools >> Folder Options >> File Types'. Check if 'xlsx' extension is included there or not. If not, then rename this file and change '.xlsx' to '.xls'.

Use 'Open and Repair' Option of MS Excel: For this, open Excel, and then go to 'File >> Open'. Select the file that you want to open, but do not double-click it. Go to the 'Open' drop-down provided in the 'Open' dialog box, and then select 'Open and Repair' option from there. This process repairs the corrupt Excel sheet and opens it normally.

Excel Repair Software: If none of the above mentioned resolutions is able to do any needful to you, then use of Excel repair software is recommended. Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair is one such software. It repairs corrupt excel sheet and restores entire data stored in it without altering its original formatting.

You can try any of the above mentioned resolutions to rectify this error message: however, Excel repair software is best-suited one for the case wherein other two methods fail to do any needful to you.

Category: Excel Repair

Last updated on December 16, 2015 with 117856 views

SUMON
April 9, 2014 11:50 am

john
February 5, 2015 10:28 am

Change the File Extension of Your Excel Sheet:
pls explain in wins7 way ..i cnt find the above option in wins7

Kevin
April 21, 2015 08:16 am

I THANK YOU SO MUCH! IT WORKED FOR ME. I copied and pasted the file to my desktop, right-click and changed '.xlsx' to '.xls'. AND BOOM I HAVE MY FILE BACK. ALL RESEARCH IS UPTO DATE.

May 19, 2015 03:23 am

Hi John,
Thanks for posting!!

To find this option in Windows 7, follow these steps:
Open the Control panel> Visit Default Programs> Check Associate a file type with a program.

Rahul
August 2, 2015 10:22 am

what if after doing all still excel file not opening and showing same error. all excel file in a particular folder are corrupted. new files and files in other folders are working properly. plz help how can i get my data

August 4, 2015 08:56 am

Hi Rahul,

Did you tried our Excel repair software? If not, then download the software from URL below and repair the corrupted file using the tool:

If still need any help, please let me know.

Daniel
August 16, 2015 10:33 am

Hi, I downloaded Stellar but it seems it can not repair my excel file? The message shows:

Original file size: 0 KB
Total no. of sheets:1
Status: File is severly corrupted,cannot be previewed.

Preview process finished on Sunday, August 16, 2015, 06:28:01 PM

August 17, 2015 05:56 am

Hi Daniel

Thanks for contacting Us!

Before answering your question, we need the following details:

What is the version of Excel you are using?
Which version of Windows you are using?

Please provide the above details so that we can reply you suitable answer.

Kavin
September 10, 2015 05:36 am

My friend had suggested me to try Google Docs to open the file but it failed. I tried your suggested software and successfully open the file. It worked for me!‚Äč

Mike
October 19, 2015 09:37 pm

Hi there,

I downloaded your repair software but it could not recover my document. The error message was:

Original file size: 26 KB
Total no. of sheets:3
Status: File is severly corrupted,cannot be previewed.

I'm using Excel 2007 and Windows Professional 7.

Is there any way to recover my file?

Thanks very much,

Mike

October 27, 2015 05:00 am

Hello Mike,

Can you please sent the corrupt file for review purpose? Without corrupt file, it is very hard to say anything because your file is severely corrupted.

You can sent the file at amit(dot)pandey(@)stellarinfo(dot)com

Mike
November 4, 2015 09:47 am

Thanks Amit - I sent it to you on 28th October.

November 5, 2015 05:11 am

Hi Mike,

We have analyzed your file and found that your file is severely corrupted. Sorry to say but there is no hope of data recovery from this file.

Natasha
November 10, 2015 02:23 pm

Thank you very much!! I did the same thing Kevin did and it worked smile
"THANK YOU SO MUCH! IT WORKED FOR ME. I copied and pasted the file to my desktop, right-click and changed '.xlsx' to '.xls'. AND BOOM I HAVE MY FILE BACK. ALL RESEARCH IS UPTO DATE."

November 20, 2015 03:34 am

Hi Natasha,

Good to know, it is helpful for you.

HAIDER
November 21, 2015 10:45 am

Hi Amit,
Tried everything. 1)in my folder option there is no tab of 'file type'
2) tried 'open and repair' - didnt work
3) option of changing .xlsx to .xls doesnt appear on right click
can you pls help?

November 21, 2015 11:14 am

Hi Haider,

To change the extension of file, just copy and paste the file at any other location and rename it with new name using .xls as extension.

Hope this information will be helpful. Do let us know for further query.

Good Luck!!

HAIDER
November 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks amit. tried that and renamed the file to abc.xls, now when i try to open it, it says abc.xls. xlsx cannot be opened.......(same warning).
i also tried using your software it says the fle is corrupt beyond recovery. however thats (seemingly) not the case since it is a freshly downloaded file.
thanks in advance for your help.

HAIDER
November 22, 2015 05:48 am

hi amit!! Any advise for me?

November 23, 2015 02:37 am

Hello Haider,

Can you please share the corrupt file for review purpose? Without corrupt file, it is very hard to say anything because your file is severely corrupted.

You can sent the file at amit(dot)pandey(@)stellarinfo(dot)com