SD card or Secure-Digital card is a tiny flash-storage card that is mostly used in digital cameras to store pictures, videos, and in smartphones to increase the storage. SD cards are particularly popular for their small size and high capacity. Since there are no mechanical parts, SD cards are more durable. SD card manufacturers even claim that these cards can survive a run over by a heavy vehicle, are safe from water damage, and can withstand a huge amount of magnetic force exerted by an MRI scanner.
There may be a case where you want to sell, donate, or bestow your existing SD card upon someone because you want to upgrade your SD card with a new one having a higher capacity & read/write speeds. SD cards are robust as we mentioned earlier. There are chances that you or someone else (to whom you sold or gifted your SD card) loses the SD card or else inadvertently gives it to someone with malevolent intentions. Such a person can easily get access to your personal and confidential data even if you have deleted pictures or formatted your SD card.
Therefore, you must erase and not just delete your pictures and confidential data from the SD card with the help of a secure data erasure software.
Follow these steps to delete photos from SD card Beyond Recovery:
- Download and install ‘BitRaser for File’ – it supports 17 international data erasure algorithms such as DOD 5220.22-M (3 pass/7 passes), NATO. etc. that you can use to destroy your pictures permanently from your SD card
- Connect your SD card to the system using a card reader or USB cable connected to your smartphone or camera
- Run BitRaser for File
- Go to ‘Tools’. Choose the ‘Erasure Algorithm’ and ‘Verification’ method from the respective drop-down menus. Click ‘Apply’
- Click ‘Home’. Click ‘Erase Now’ in the left pane.
|If you want to wipe the entire SD card with the selected algorithm, click the SD card volume checkbox, otherwise, expand the SD card volume and select the pictures & videos you want to delete permanently|
- After selecting the drive or the pictures, click ‘Erase Now’ button at the bottom right
- Wait until the selected drive or pictures are wiped from the SD card. When it asks you to reboot, click ‘No’
|*If you have not wiped the entire SD card, consider wiping the empty storage space on the card as it may contain previously deleted pictures. Follow these steps to wipe the empty storage on SD card using BitRaser for File:|
- Click on ‘Erase Empty Space’ in the left pane and then select the SD card volume from the available options
- Click ‘Erase Now’ button and wait. After erasure, it asks you to reboot, click ‘No’ and then eject your SD card
That is it. You have successfully sanitized your SD card to a stage where no one can recover your personal pictures or data from your SD card even with a data recovery software/service including forensics.
BitRaser for File is a privacy-safeguarding tool that helps you sanitize all kinds of storage devices. Stellar Data Recovery has developed this software, which is a renowned organization in the field of data recovery since 1993. They know how data recovery works and thus, have the requisite expertise to make it unrecoverable too.
Deleted pictures and images from a formatted SD card can be recovered easily with the help of a data recovery software. Therefore, securely erasing data from your storage devices such as SD card is crucial before you sell, donate, or gift someone to safeguard your privacy. You can accomplish this by using a reliable data erasure software such as BitRaser for File that supports 17 international data erasure standards such as DOD 5220.22-M (3 pass/7 passes), NATO, etc. to erase pictures and data from your SD card beyond the scope of recovery. This software also helps you wipe empty spaces (that may contain previously deleted files) on your SD card with selected data erasure algorithm and helps you sanitize your sensitive data such as browsing history, system, & application traces, etc. on Windows with just a few clicks.