Summary: Fixing errors in Microsoft Outlook is not always an easy task. For instance, the Outlook error 0x80004001 which appears when a user fails to add PST in Outlook 2016. This blog tells users the simple methods to fix this Outlook PST import error when unable to import PST.
As an Outlook user, when you import a PST file that contains crucial data but failed to add PST in Outlook 2016 installed in your office laptop. You encountered the error 0x80004001 just after executing the import steps viz. Control Panel ->Mail -> Data Files in Mail Setup – Outlook ->Add to add PST file data.
So, what to do in a situation wherein there’s an urgent need to download and share the PST data with team members?
In other words, such situations demand users to fix Outlook 2016 error 0x80004001 at the earliest by knowing how to successfully add PST in their Microsoft Outlook 2016.
In this post, we present 6 different methods and preventive measures to fix the Outlook PST import error.
Read on to know more…
- Adjust the antivirus and Windows firewall settings in your PC:
Check if the antivirus program installed in your PC or the Windows firewall has settings that are conflicting with Outlook functioning. Adjust the settings so that these programs don’t interfere with Outlook to cause the error.
- Try out the Outlook 2016 interface to add the PST file:
- Open Outlook 2016
- Click File tab -> Info -> Account Settings drop-down -> Account Settings button
- In the ‘Account Settings’ window, click Data Files button -> Add
- Add the PST file and click OK
- Close the ‘Account Settings’ window
Note – By using this process for adding PST file, you can prevent the Outlook error 0x80004001.
3. Do not store PST on network
This is applicable in case the Outlook PST file is stored on the network as this can lead to corruption in PST File. To avoid losing important PST data, always keep the latest backup of PST file on your PC.
- Enter correct and accurate details in your Outlook Account settings:
Check the Account Settings of your Outlook profile to ensure that all the details entered are correct. If not, enter the correct details.
- Open Outlook in Safe Mode:
Sometimes, opening Outlook in Safe Mode helps the users to work in a hassle-free and error-free manner, and allows to add PST in Outlook.
- Repair the corrupt PST file and then import it into Outlook
The PST file may have gone corrupt. Some of the common causes of PST file corruption include power failure, software conflicts, oversized PSTs, hardware issues, faulty networking device, sudden termination of Outlook, and virus/malware attack, etc.
Also check and remove suspicious emails in the Outlook mailbox, as these can cause corruption in Outlook profile and PST file.
You can use the following methods to repair a corrupt PST file:
- Run the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) – an inbuilt PST repair utility for Outlook Data files. Read More
- Run a specialized and user-friendly PST repair tool such as Stellar Repair for Outlook.
All of the above methods can address the ‘unable to import PST’ issue in MS Outlook. However, the effectiveness of these methods also depends on the specific factors that caused the error.
Further, if the cause of the error is known to be a damaged or corrupt PST file, we recommend using a PST repair software such as Stellar Repair for Outlook. The software is also recommended by MVPs and industry experts.