How to fix “PST File Missing/ doesn’t show Sub-folders under Inbox”
Summary: Many Outlook users reported facing issues, like ‘Outlook PST file missing in Windows 10’ or ‘PST file doesn’t show subfolders under Inbox”. This blog post mentions some effective ways to fix the problem. It also mentions an advanced PST repair tool for repairing the corrupt PST file.
Outlook PST file is a proprietary data storage file used by Microsoft Outlook. It contains email folders, contacts, personal information, contacts, and other email data. On the other hand, PST file can also be used as a back-up file for migrating from Microsoft Outlook to other email management software as an import data item.
However, several users of MS Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 and other versions experience Outlook subfolders missing issue / PST file doesn’t show subfolders or ‘outlook.pst cannot be found’.
This could be a debacle most especially for Outlook users who intend to restore previously stored email data available in their PST file.
Nevertheless, there are both manual and automated solutions available in resolving the PST file missing/Outlook subfolders missing problem or PST file doesn’t show subfolders Outlook error.
How to fix Outlook subfolders missing problem
- Run the SCANPST.exe tool
One of the main reasons why
- Exit Outlook program and browse to the program file location.
- Locate and run Inbox Repair Tool for Outlook
- Select Browse to select the corrupt Outlook Data File (.pst) you intend to scan.
- Click on Start to initiate the scan process
- If the Inbox Repair Tool detects any PST file error, click on Repair to start the repair process.
- After the repair process, Start Outlook using the profile associated with the repaired PST file.
If repairing Outlook PST file does not fix outlook pst file missing error or PST File doesn’t show subfolders problem, you may proceed to the next solution.
- Reset All Views in All Folders
Another manual mode of resolving the PST File missing or doesn’t show subfolders problem is by resetting the views for the entire Outlook mailbox. This method reverts your Outlook view back to its default state thereby allowing you to view all folders and subfolders under Inbox.
Here’s how to resolve Outlook subfolders missing problem by resetting all views:
- Exit Outlook on your Windows PC. Go to Start menu, type Run in the Cortana search box and then hit the Enter key. (Or Press Windows key + R) to launch the Run window.
- In the Run window, type outlook.exe /resetnavpane to restart Outlook.
- Create a new Outlook profile and then import the PST file associated with the ‘Outlook subfolders missing’ problem into the new profile.
Alternatively, you can also reset folder view by using the reset view feature available in Outlook 2010 up to Outlook 2019. This method can also fix the PST File doesn’t show subfolders problem without hassles.
Here’s how to do this:
- Launch MS Outlook, navigate to the folder that you intend to reset its view.
- Click View > Change View, and then specify the view mode from the drop-down list.
- In the View tab, click Reset View, and then click the Yes button in the dialog box. (This will automatically reset the selected folder to its original view.)
- Now, click the View tab > Change View, and then click Apply Current View to Other Mail Folders on the View tab.
- In the Apply View dialog box, tick the checkbox for ‘mailboxes and their subfolders’ option.
- Also, tick the checkbox for ‘Apply View to subfolders’, and then click the OK button.
- Use an efficient PST repair tool to Fix Outlook PST file Missing Issue
If you still experience PST File doesn’t show subfolders problem after trying any of the manual methods we mentioned above, what you need is an automated solution to repair your corrupt PST File such as the Stellar Repair for Outlook tool.
Stellar Repair for Outlook is a powerful PST repair tool that can resolve numerous PST file errors such as Outlook subfolders missing, PST File doesn’t show sub-folders and many more by repairing the corrupt Outlook PST File.
With this software, you can repair corrupt PST files and recover MS Outlook mailbox data such as emails, notes, calendars, journals, contacts, tasks, and many more.
In addition, Stellar Repair for Outlook can repair both encrypted and severely corrupt PST files. Also, this tool allows you to recover deleted emails, attachments, contacts and other email data.
Nevertheless, here’s how to use
- Launch Stellar Repair for Outlook program
- In Select PST File for repair menu, select the PST file associated with the Outlook subfolders missing’ problem using ‘Browse’ or ‘Find’ option
- Click Repair tab to start the repair process
- Preview the repaired mailbox items
- To save PST, Click on the Save Repaired File option
- From the Save Options dialog box, select either PST, EML, PDF, MSG, HTML, or RTF file formats
- Click on the Browse tab, Select the Destination Location for the repaired file
- Import the repaired PST and Start Outlook using the profile associated with the Outlook subfolders missing the issue. Check how
PST file is a popular email file format which can be used to migrate from one Outlook version to another as well as other email client platform. On the other hand, the PST file contains a series of email data such as emails (including folders and subfolders), contacts, tasks, journals, notes, attachments, and many more.
With an efficient PST file recovery software such as Stellar Repair for Outlook, you can easily resolve errors emanating Outlook platform or PST file related errors such as the Outlook subfolders missing or PST File doesn’t show subfolders among others. This makes Stellar Repair for Outlook a must-have for Outlook users for their critical mailbox repair needs.
Hi Eric, I just bought a new complete and after transferring all my file to the new computer I lost all my personal folders on my Outlook. I’ve had everyone from the Geek Squad (who did the transfer) to Microsoft Reps to help me recover those folders, but none could help me recover those folder. Geek Squad said they can’t find my .PST file(s) on the Stargate backup folder where they stored all my files during the transfer.
My old computer had Outlook 2010 (Windows 10) and my new computer is Windows 11. Can you help me?
I configure IMAP account in outlook but all my sub-folder are missing… How to recover all my folders
Which Outlook version are you using?
Looking forward to your reply to help you further.
Could i configure both POP & IMAP account in outlook.
Tell me about your requirements so we can suggest you better.
Thanks for sharing!
This article is really helpful and fixed our ongoing issues in Outlook 2019.
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback.
Does this work for OST files too? I have a synced ost file where many subfolders are not showing up.
For OST repair you can use our other utility i.e. Stellar Converter for OST or you can read this helpful article- Read More
Inbox e-mails gone, how to recover?
Try free demo of Stellar Repair for Outlook to recover missing emails from Outlook inbox.
To fix PST file problem, I have opened many times scanpst.exe file but it can’t open. To fix this issue, I have restarted system and outlook as well but can’t succeed. Please provide efficient solution.
If the manual solution doesn’t work then you can opt for PST repair tool like Stellar Repair for Outlook tool. It will repair corrupt PST files and recover Outlook mailbox data.
I have wasted 2 hours for resetting the views for the entire outlook mailbox but nothing happened. Please suggest simple & quick solution to fix subfolder problem.
You must try an automated tool such as Stellar Repair for Outlook which is simple, safe and quick solution to repair Outlook problems.
After using second method, it reverts Outlook view backs to its default state. But still facing outlook subfolders missing folders. Help.
If Reset all views method doesn’t work then you can try inbox repair tool Scanpst.exe. It will detect PST file errors and repair the corrupt file.
After using Scanpst.exe tool, still sub folders are missing. Then I used Stellar Repair for Outlook software and access my all sub folders under inbox.
You have selected the best PST repair tool to fix PST repairs. In many scenarios, Scanpst.exe inbox repair tool can’t fix PST file errors.