Secure data eraser utilities, as the name suggests, are safe to use. However, you will come across several data eraser tools on the web that pretends to be safe but are not able to efficiently accomplish their purpose of destroying the data permanently from the storage drives beyond the scope of recovery. To protect your data from unauthorized access, you must erase your data and wipe your storage drive, before selling or donating your laptop, PC, or any equipment with storage, so that the data is completely destroyed and can’t be recovered with any data recovery software or service.
Several safe data eraser tools can help you safeguard your privacy such as BitRaser for File, SDelete, Eraser, DBAN, etc. There are few important aspects of deciding whether a secure data eraser software is actually secure.
- Ease of use
- Is the software able to destroy data beyond recovery
- Does it allow erasing important system & program files or the main OS drive
One tool that has made news across the web is BitRaser for File, which is popular as it supports 17 international data erasure standards with ‘Total’ and ‘Random verification’ methods that ensure 100% data sanitization. In addition, the software generates a ‘Certificate of Erasure’ which guarantees data cannot be recovered with any software/service including the forensics. This certificate helps businesses meet the regulatory compliances and gives a sense of certainty about your data destruction. Some other noticeable features that distinguish the BitRaser for File are as follow:
- Safe and Easy to Use
- Doesn’t let you erase system and program files
- Users can choose erasure standards and verification method
- It’s the only data erasure software that lets you sanitize your sensitive data by destroying the system and application traces
- Helps sanitize your Internet Activities containing highly sensitive information such as passwords, logins, browser history, online transactions, cookies, etc.
- Facilitates scheduled file erasure based on time and boot status
- Users have an option to create ‘File Erasure List’ with which one can quickly destroy files that are created automatically (contains traces of your activities) when you use your system
- Option to search and Erase individual files with the desired data standard
- Let’s you wipe the entire drive volume except for the one that contains OS. However, you can wipe empty spaces on all volumes with desired data erasure algorithm (as empty space might contain previously deleted files and folders)
- Wipes internal volumes and external drives
- Supports NTFS, exFAT, and FAT32 file systems
- Compatible with Windows 10 and earlier versions (up to XP)
Solid State Drives or SSDs works differently than a traditional mechanical disk. Therefore, data erasure software fails to destroy data on SSDs due to features such as garbage collection and wear leveling. Not even multiple wipes or erasure can destroy the data from an SSD. However, modern data erasure software like BitRaser can be used to securely erase or sanitize the data on SSDs as well.
When it comes to destroying data, employing a reliable data destruction tool— also referred to as data sanitization or data erasure software— is of utmost importance. People often ignore this, which could be lethal as deleted data remains on the storage drives unless overwritten and can be recovered. Most importantly, choosing the right data erasure software helps you accomplish the purpose of destroying the data from storage drive safely. One such software we discussed in this post is the BitRaser for File, which is equipped with 17 international erasure standards, generates a certificate of erasure, and offers additional options that are required to achieve complete data sanitization. Not to mention, the software is developed by Stellar Data Recovery, an organization working in the field of data recovery since 1993. They know how data can be recovered and thus, developed BitRaser for destroying the data beyond scope of any recovery to safeguard your privacy.