Summary: The blog highlights simple techniques to fix corrupt MOV media files. Stellar Repair for Video software is ideal for fixing damaged MOV files as well as video files of many other formats.
MOV is a term well recognised in the world of video files. MOV files use Apple’s proprietary compression algorithm and the format itself is a MPEG 4 video container format used in Apple’s QuickTime program. Although many video files found on the Internet are MOV files, to play such files on a PC you either need to install the QuickTime media player, or install an extra component into your regular media player, use a universal media player like VLC, or convert such files into another format using proper video converters.
MOV files like other video files are prone to damage or turning corrupt owing to a number of reasons. More often than not, fixing minor corruption within MOV videos is quite simple and can be done using media players that are equipped with file repair capabilities. Read about how to repair corrupt MP4 and MOV file using VLC and other Media Player
However, at times, video files can be damaged beyond the scope of such quick fixes; therefore, to repair HD MOV files, you need to rely on a safe and reliable method.
Let’s discuss the topic in a little more detail.
How HD MOV files get corrupt?
There could be various reasons that trigger corruption in video files, particularly MOV files:
- Faulty firmware of the camera or camcorder used to record MOV videos can corrupt them
- Missing data frames within HD MOV files can corrupt them
- Interruptions like accidentally turning off camera while recording videos can damage them
- Recording videos when your camera or camcorder is low on battery
- Damage to the memory card that stores such videos
- Inadvertent corruption caused while editing MOV videos using different tools
- Interruptions while transferring MOV files between devices
- Trying to open MOV files with media players that don’t support MOV file format
- Virus infection or bad sectors on the storage media where such files are stored
- Forcefully converting MOV files into any other non-compatible format
- Trying to compress MOV videos using random tools can result in corruption
- Changing file extension to any other random extension
- Video file header corruption
As shown above, there are several ways by which MOV files, and in fact, video files of any format can get damaged. However, usually, minor issues can be handled by efficient media players such as VLC and QuickTime that have file repair capabilities. Simply opening damaged MOV videos with such players triggers their auto-repair function. You can also set the auto-repair function to always check for errors in video files through Preferences in such players.
If, however, VLC, QuickTime or other media players are unable to repair HD MOV videos, then you’ll need a more advanced video repair tool.
Let’s look at how.
Repair HD MOV files in a few clicks with the help of Stellar Repair for Video :
Stellar Repair for Video software is a powerful tool for repairing damaged or corrupt MOV, MP4, 3GP, F4V, and other video files. The software is adept in handling complex video corruption cases triggered due to compression issues, changes made in the file formats, read or write errors, virus attack, and other reasons. With this product, you can easily repair videos stored on hard drives, memory cards, and other storage media. The application allows you to save repaired videos on any location of your choice and also lets you preview repaired videos before saving them.
Follow the below steps to repair HD MOV files:
Download, install and launch Stellar Repair for Video
- Below is the main software interface, click Add file to repair.
2. Next, you can add more files to repair.
3 . The desired video file is repaired, with the stop button below to stop process.
4. Preview any file after repair process.
5. Save the repaired file on desired location by pressing Save Repaired File.
The Final Word
It is best to avoid scenarios that lead to MOV video corruption. Refrain from recording videos with a device that is running low on battery, always keep a backup of all important videos, and do not interrupt when videos are being transferred between devices. In doing so, your precious videos will stay safe and secure.