Repair your macOS Mojave 10.14 Start-up Drive
Summary: This blog helps you repair the startup disk on MacBook, iMac, Mac mini or Mac Pro.
To make your macOS Mojave 10.14 perform smoothly forever; you should perform the simple task of repairing the macOS Mojave start-up disk drive with the help of the Disk Utility application. macOS Mojave’s boot volume which is also known as the Macintosh HD will be APFS formatted. Like any other file-system; the APFS has its directory structure and the partition map. Though the former can be repaired with the Disk Utility application, the latter is impossible to fix.
Disk Utility is the free and native application that performs multiple tasks on your storage device. The utility verifies and repairs the corruption. It can re-partition your SSD or the HDD into more than a single partition. Further, the Disk Utility allows you to erase and secure erase your macOS Mojave volumes.
How to Verify & Repair macOS Mojave?
Follow the sequential steps to verify and repair macOS Mojave start-up disk drive:
- Start your macOS Mojave and launch Disk Utility from the Utilities folder
- Locate your internal SSD (or HDD) in the Disk Utility left-corner
- Figure out at what level of the storage volume you want the utility to repair? Else, you can repair all of them one-by-one. For instance: In APFS, you have the Apple HDD, Container disk# and the macOS.
- Select the Apple HDD and press First-Aid. A message saying ‘Would you like to run First Aid on Apple HDD_’ will pop-up. Proceed by clicking on the Run.
- Disk utility will perform verification and repair of the chosen storage drive. A message saying ‘Running First Aid on Apple HDD’ will pop-up. Let the process of First Aid end successfully.
Note: A message ‘The partition map appears to be Ok. Operation Successful.’ will appear.
- Press Done and repeat the process on the start-up disk, container, and the storage volume.
Steps to Repair Container on Mojave
- Select Container and Click First Aid. A pop-up will appear ‘First Aid needs to temporarily lock the boot volume’. Press continue to start the repair process.
- Disk utility will soon end the repair process.
Result: Operation Successful
Steps to Repair macOS Volume on Mojave
- Select macOS Volume and Press First Aid. A pop-up will appear ‘First Aid needs to temporarily lock the boot volume’. Press continue to start the repair process.
- Click Done when finished.
Result – Volume appears to be OK. Operation Successful
Similarly, the Disk Utility application can repair HFS, HFS+ volumes, external hard drive partitions, SSDs, USB flash drives in a similar manner.
- Download, Stellar Data Recovery DMG to run Mac data recovery free trial.
- How to Repair macOS Catalina Startup Disk
Running on my iMac, Mojace version 10.14.3. After the pop-up ‘First Aid needs to temporarily lock the boot volume’ appears when I run Disc Utility, I press continue to start the repair process. My computer then locks up. It just sits there until I shut off and restart my system. Any ideas?
In this particular case data recovery from the corrupted hard drive can be possible using data recovery services/experts. You can contact our support team on support[@]stellarinfo.com for further queries.
My iMac running macOS Mojave is not showing external USB drive that contains several important files. I am unable to understand if the USB drive is failing or already failed. I need the files first, pls help if you can.
Your USB drive might have undergone corruption and it may fail entirely. I suggest you give a trial to the free version of Stellar Data Recovery Professional on your iMac. Visit the webpage and download; scan the USB to preview recoverable files.
When installing Mojave, my MacBook drive got corrupt and received some error code. Is this the OS bug? I want to access my files saved in hard drive. What should I do to access files from this corrupt drive?
You can retrieve data from your corrupt hard drive using Stellar Data Recovery Professional for Mac. But before using the software, you should stop using your Mac hard drive so that inaccessible data on it is not overwritten with new data.