After reading this blog thoroughly, you will know about:
Regardless of the way one uses their Mac machine, data recovery is an area every Mac user comes across at least once in a while. Most aware users take a good amount of security measures to safeguard their data from threats of leakage, theft, and corruption and also engage in regular backup routines. However, data loss evolves with each passing day; hence, new loop-holes are discovered now and then. Awareness of the latest and most efficient Mac data recovery products is thus, the only way one can consider oneself as covered.
Let us now look at the popular Mac data recovery tool and compare it to test the worth.
TestDisk is open-source software licensed under the GNU General Public License. It’s a free utility that restores lost data from MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini and other file systems.
Further, TestDisk Mac data recovery utility can recover Mac partitions and data and helps make non-booting MacOS boot again. This tool helps fight data loss resulting from accidental formatting, unintentional deletion of data, partition table damage, faulty software, etc. Some of the core features of this software include:
- Recovers data from HFS, FAT, NTFS, EXT, ex-FAT file systems
- Fixes MFT using MFT mirror
- Fixes partition table and recover deleted partitions
In addition to Mac, TestDisk can run under DOS, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and SunOS and can find lost partitions for 20+ file systems.
TestDisk Mac Data Recovery – Pros vs. Cons
TestDisk is aimed at recovering different types of data from a variety of platforms. As such, TestDisk has similar advantages and disadvantages.
- TestDisk recovers lost partitions and help rebuild boot sectors
- TestDisk recovers lost documents, photos and media files from a number of storage devices
- It provides detailed information and fulfills the exact purpose
- It’s free, open-source utility
- TestDisk is purely command-line based utilities, meaning they lack a Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- TestDisk is not suitable for novice or less experienced users
- TestDisk has no live update feature that shows which files have been found
- It can often take a lot of time to complete the process
- TestDisk doesn’t yet support APFS data recovery
Although TestDisk is a popular free data recovery Mac software, it has some very strong drawbacks, the biggest one being the missing GUI. In the absence of an adequately explained interactive interface, non-technical users may find these tools complicated to work with.
The Best Alternative to TestDisk Mac Data Recovery
Leverage Stellar Data Recovery Mac to overcome the shortcomings of the TestDisk and to recover Mac data quickly, accurately, and in a risk-free manner. This professional Mac data recovery application restores deleted or lost documents, photos, music files, as well as videos from APFS, HFS, HFS+, FAT, an ex-FAT and NTFS format based file systems.
How to use Stellar Data Recovery Mac Easily?
It deftly reclaims permanently deleted data from iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro. Further, the product facilitates Deep Scan recovery on severely corrupt hard drives, lost Mac volumes and supports data recovery from Encrypted file systems as well as Time Machine backup drives. The software can be downloaded and installed easily, and its highly advanced and interactive GUI makes it super easy for all types of users to work with it.
- Equipped with one of the best & easiest graphical user interface
- Able to customize the scan for a smooth recovery
- Option to recover a corrupt drive with Deep Scan
- Previews recoverable Documents, Photos, Videos and more
- Supports hard drives, SSDs, external media, SD, Time Machine & more
- Supports macOS High Sierra till OS X Snow Leopard
- It’s not open source like TestDisk
- The free version allows previewing the recoverable data
- The deep scan might take several hours depending upon the size and condition of the storage drive
The Way Forward – Stellar Data Recovery Mac
Therefore, instead of using a command line utility to perform Mac data recovery, employing the secure and reliable Stellar Data Recovery Mac software would be a more preferred option. Which notable features such as live-update of recoverable files, file preview before recovery, option to save recovered data at the desired location, and many more, Stellar Mac Data Recovery software is a cut above TestDisk!