Stellar Converter for EDB
Stellar Converter for EDB
Stellar Converter for EDB / 5. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. What does Stellar Converter for EDB do?
Stellar Converter for EDB converts mailboxes from MS Exchange database files into PST files. It allows you to convert Online and Offline Exchange database (EDB) to PST files. The software also provides preview of mailbox items such as - Emails, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Attachments, Sent items, etc.
2. What is the difference between 'Online' and 'Offline' conversion of EDB to PST files?
In Online conversion, EDB files on running server are converted into PST files, while in Offline conversion, EDB files stored on a local machine are converted into PST files.
3. What is the difference between an EDB file and a STM file?
The .EDB file is the main repository for the mailbox data. The STM or streaming media file is used in conjunction with the .EDB file to comprise the Exchange database. Both files together make up the database, and as such, they should always be treated as a single entity. Typically, if you perform an action on the EDB file, the STM file is automatically included. The purpose of the STM file is to store streamed native Internet content.
When you install a new Exchange server in an organization, two data stores are created automatically: a default mailbox store and default public folder store. Two database files are associated with the default mailbox store:
Priv1.EDB: A rich-text database file containing message headers, message text, and standard attachments.
Priv1.STM: A streaming internet content file containing audio, video and other media that are formatted as streams of Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) data.
The STM file houses Internet content message streams as defined in Request for Comments (RFC 822), and the EDB file contains messages that are in MAPI format (Rich Text Format).
When an Internet mail message comes into the Exchange information store, the body of the message is saved in the STM file, and the header information (From, To, Cc, Time Sent, and so on) is converted to Rich Text Format (RTF), and then stored in the EDB file.
4. I am not able to find my EDB file, how do I locate it?
Use Find EDB option to search and locate the EDB files.
5. I want to convert my Calendars and address book, how do I convert them using Stellar Converter for EDB tool?
First you need to convert mailboxes from the EDB file using the software. refer to Working with the Software section of this guide. Then, you can save the Calendars and Contacts folder in the PST format for outlook.
6. How many files can be scanned at one time?
Stellar Converter for EDB Offline scans one file at a time.
7. Can I export the converted mailbox to Live Exchange or Local Exchange Server?
Yes, you can export the converted mailbox to an Exchange Mailbox. Refer to Save Scanned Files section for complete steps.
8. Is it necessary to have administrative credentials to export the data to Live Exchange Server and Office 365?
Yes, you must have administrative credentials and permissions to export the data to Live Exchange Server and Office 365.
9. My MS Exchange Server 2013 crashed. I installed a new MS Exchange Server 2019 and want to import my mailboxes from MS Exchange Server 2013. Is it possible with your software?
Yes, Stellar Converter for EDB allows you to convert the corrupt and crashed server database files and export them in Live Exchange Server.
10. What is mapping of mailboxes?
Mapping is a process to link a mailbox from your source EDB file to a mailbox that already exists on the destination server before exporting the data. The mapping process is required to make sure that the mailbox data from the EDB file is exported to the desired mailbox on the Live Exchange Server or Office 365. If mapping is not done, the Stellar Converter for EDB creates a new user mailbox on the destination server and export the data from the source EDB file to the new mailbox.
Stellar Converter for EDB provides options to either Auto-Map or Manually Map the source mailbox from the scanned EDB file to the destination mailbox on Live Exchange Server or Office 365. Refer to Mapping of mailboxes for Live Exchange Server or Mapping of Mailboxes for Office 365 sections for detailed information.
11. How can I create a new mailbox of a user on Live Exchange Server?
Stellar Converter for EDB provides a feature to create a new mailbox of a user on Live Exchange Server to export the data from source EDB file. Refer to How to Create Mailbox section for detailed information.
12. What does Apply Filter option do?
Apply Filter option can be used to filter the converted mailboxes that you want to save or export. This allows you to make the scanned results more precise as per your requirement. You can exclude Junk Mails and Deleted Mails, set the filters to save the data of a particular Month, Date and Year. Using Apply Filter you can also exclude one or more senders from the results. See Apply Filter - Offine EDB and Apply Filter - Online EDB sections to know more how Apply Filter option works.
Note: You can use the Apply Filter option to save filtered data in PST, MSG, EML or RTF format or to export data to Live Exchange Server or Office 365.
13. How many mailboxes can I save to each folder in the mailbox?
Stellar Converter for EDB recommends some folder limits for Live Exchange Server, Office 365 server, and PST:
To know detailed information about the Mailbox Folder Limits set by Microsoft click https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/exchange-online-service-description/exchange-online-limits#mailbox-folder-limits
14. How do I mount the corrupt and dismounted database?
Dial Tone Recovery is a process of using the Dial Tone Portability feature available in Microsoft Exchange Server. The feature provides an empty Exchange database (with the same database schema version) that allows users who had mailboxes on the failed and dismounted database to send and receive new emails. By Using Dial Tone Recovery, you can mount the corrupt and dismounted database. To know more information, click here.
15. I am trying to convert an EDB file and export the data to Office 365. When I enter the Mail ID and Password, the system shows an error. What can I do?
The application shows error because of following reasons,
16. Can I decide which mailbox will be saved first and which will be saved last?
Yes, you can set the priority of the mailboxes according to your requirement. Refer to the following topics to know the steps to set the priority of the mailbox:
17. After saving my converted mailbox in PST format. How to view and access the mailbox items?
After you have saved the converted mailbox in PST format, you can import the PST file in MS Outlook. See Importing PST file in MS Outlook, to know how to import PST file.
18. What is a Public folder and how to export data to that folder?
Public Folder is one of the feature within Microsoft Exchange and Office 365 which gives users access to common folders for sharing information. To export the mailbox to the Public Folder, you must have full-mailbox permissions and full access to public folder root for the Exchange Server or Office 365 where you want to export the mailbox. See Export Mailbox to Public Folder, to know how to export the mail files.
19. Can I export mailbox to the Public Folder of MS Exchange server or Office 365 using your Software?
Yes, you can export mailbox to the public folder of Exchange Server or Office 365. To know how to export, click here.
20. Does the application maintain a log of the complete converting and saving process?
Yes, select Log Report from the View ribbon. In the Log Report, you can get all the information related to scanned files and exported data. See View Log Report, for more information.