Stellar Drive Monitor shows an alert when any monitored attribute exceeds its threshold value (or the value set by the user). It continuously monitors various hard disk parameters (such as Temperature, Performance, and Health) and alerts the user in real-time.
- Runs continuously in the background, thereby providing real-time information about the condition of the hard disks.
- Provides standard hard disk information such as Serial/Model Number, Partition Information and so on.
- Provides information on various hard disk attributes and also displays their fitness level.
- Has an option to scan and display bad sectors on hard disks.
- Provides an option to ‘clone’ hard disks (i.e., it creates a replica of a disk).
- Can test any PATA/SATA disk, USB drives, SSD.
- Simple and easy to use, with no loss in system performance.
Following a few simple steps, you can install Stellar Drive Monitor. This section includes the sequential steps to install the software.
Before beginning installation, make sure that the computer meets minimum system requirements as listed below:
|Operating System||Windows 10/ 8.1 / 8 / 7|
|Memory||1 GB RAM|
|Hard Disk||100 MB of Free Space|
To install the software, follow the steps:
- Double-click ‘Setup.exe’. A setup dialog box is displayed.
- Click ‘Next‘ to continue. ‘License Agreement‘ dialog box is displayed.
- Select ‘I accept the agreement‘ option. Click ‘Next‘ to continue.
- The next screen displays the default path where the software will be installed. If you want to change the path, specify the location and click ‘Next‘ to continue.
- Select the name that will be shown in the ‘Start’ menu. A default folder is suggested in ‘Select Start Menu Folder’ box. Click ‘Next.
- In ‘Select Additional Tasks’ dialog box, mark or unmark the checkbox depending on whether or not you want to create a desktop shortcut or a quick launch icon. Click ‘Next.’
- Review entries as shown in the summary page. Click ‘Back‘ if you want to make any changes. Click ‘Install‘ to start the installation. The installation process displays on the screen.
- After completion of installation process, ‘Completing the Software Setup Wizard’ screen opens. Click ‘Finish.’
Note: To prevent the software from launching automatically after completion of installation, unmark the ‘Launch Setup‘ checkbox before clicking on the ‘Finish’ button.
2.2.Launching the Software
To launch Stellar Drive Monitor in Windows 10:
- Click Start icon -> Stellar Drive Monitor folder (expand the folder) -> Stellar Drive Monitor. Or,
- Double click Stellar Drive Monitor icon on the desktop.
To launch Stellar Drive Monitor in Windows 8.1 / 8:
- Double click Stellar Drive Monitor icon on the desktop.
To launch Stellar Drive Monitor in Windows 7:
- Click Start -> Programs -> Stellar Drive Monitor -> Stellar Drive Monitor. Or,
- Double click Stellar Drive Monitor icon on the desktop.
2.3.Ordering the Software
You can purchase the software online. For more on pricing details and to place an order, you can click the Buy button on the main user interface, to purchase the software electronically.
Once the order is confirmed, you will receive a pre-paid registration key sent through e-mail, with which you can register the software.
2.4.Activating the Software
The demo version is for evaluation purpose only. You need to activate the software to use its full functionality. Use the Activation Key received via email after purchasing the software to activate it.
To activate the software:
- Run Stellar Drive Monitor.
- Click the Activation button. Activation window is displayed as shown below:
- If you don’t have the activation key, click Get it now button in the window to purchase the software.
- Once the order is confirmed, an Activation Key is sent to the email that you have provided while purchasing the software.
- Paste or type the Activation Key (received through email after purchasing the product) and click Activate button (Please ensure an active Internet connection).
- Stellar Drive Monitor automatically communicates with the license server to verify the entered key. If the entered key is valid, activation is completed successfully.
- ‘Activation Completed Successfully’ message is displayed. Click OK.
3.Main Interface Overview
This section helps you to become familiar with the application and to know the different features provided for hard drive analysis. The purpose of Main interface design is to make the interaction as simple and efficient as possible.
This help documentation helps you understand the functionality of all the buttons and settings to monitor the disks connected to the system.
Using the Select Language button, you can change the entire application to a different language at any time/instance without having to re-install the application.
Click the button on the top left corner of the application to configure General and Temperature settings for Stellar Drive Monitor.
Click this button to read information about Stellar Drive Monitor.
Click this button to open the user help guide.
Click this button to check for both, major and minor updates of the software.
Click this button to buy Stellar Drive Monitor online.
Click this button to activate Stellar Drive Monitor after purchase.
This button starts the scanning process.
Click this button to start the cloning process of the disk.
Click this button to stop the scanning or cloning process.
Settings button of the application is used to configure General and Temperature settings for Stellar Drive Monitor.
Follow the steps given below, to apply the various settings on this screen:
- Run Stellar Drive Monitor.
- On the main screen, click the Settings icon on the top left corner. The settings screen opens.
The user can apply the following settings:
- General has the following settings:
- Show status in tray – Enable checkbox label for the application to show the status of the disk in the system tray (at the bottom right corner of the taskbar).
- Temperature has the following settings:
- Show Temperature in – The user can change the unit of temperature displayed on the screen to Celsius or Fahrenheit (by default, Celsius option is selected).
- Enable Temperature warning – Using this option, the user can set the threshold value for temperature after/ on which application gives the warning.
- Warning Temperature – Use this option to set temperature for system shutdown warning. This ensures that your hard disk doesn’t fail due to high temperature.
- Shutdown Temperature – Use this option to Shut the computer down if the temperature of the disk exceeds the warning temperature. In such a scenario it is advisable to identify the cause of rising temperature. This will save you from a probable data loss due to hard disk failure.
Click OK or Close button to apply the settings.
Note: If the Show status in tray box is checked, only the hard disk Temperature will be displayed. To view complete details, you need to open the software.
4.Monitoring the Disks
Stellar Drive Monitor is created with the motive to monitor different attributes of the hard disks connected to the system.
Following are the main components/ modules for monitoring the status of the disks :
Note: If the computer has multiple hard disks connected to it, you can select the desired drive from the drop-down in the top right pane.
This module consists of information related to the overall general health of the Hard Disk. If the computer has multiple hard disks connected to it, you can select the desired drive from the drop-down in the top right pane.
The information comprises :
- Temperature: The proper functioning of the hard disk is based on how quickly the disk heats up. At every temperature range, the module changes color as per the temperature range of the disk.
The suitable temperature range is described as follows:
|Hard Disk Temperature||Suitability||Color|
|Less than 49°C||Ideal||Blue/Teal|
|50°C to 65°C||Acceptable||Orange|
|More than 65°C||Too hot||Red|
The temperature limit is user-defined and is modified from the Settings window. Temperature beyond the specified range may lead to disk failure.
- Performance: The performance of the hard disk is based on some factors wherein the access time is one of the most important. Thus, the performance factor of the software displays the transfer rate of the disks.
- Health: The health of the hard disk determines the total running time of the hard disk, the amount of write/read errors and many others. Stellar Drive Monitor displays the health status of the hard disks.
|Hard Disk Health||Suitability||Color|
|More than 80%||Ideal||Blue/Teal|
|80% to 65%||Acceptable||Orange|
|Less than 65%||Worse||Red|
Other than exhibiting the statistical information about the disk, the software also displays the details of the disks connected/ selected from the right pane. The disk details such as Disk number, Model number, Firmware Revision, Interface type, Serial number, and Total sectors are displayed.
Note: The color of the tiles displaying the current value of the Performance, Health, and Temperature attributes change from blue to orange to red as per the condition of the disk. Blue color tile stands for acceptable value and red for critical. Orange colored tile represents that the attribute value is at an alarming level.
Smart Status shows information about all the SMART attributes of the hard disk. It gives you a complete idea of its overall health of the selected hard disk.
The Smart Status window consists of 7 columns: ID (of the Attribute), Attribute Name, Status (either OK or FAIL), Attribute Value (current value of the Attribute), Worst Value (that the attribute has ever reached), Threshold (the limit above/below which the hard disk is likely to fail), and Fitness Percentage (this can be used as a guide to the condition of the disk).
A list of the attributes that are identified in the Smart Status module of the Stellar Drive Monitor are:
|Read Error Rate||Number of times hardware read errors occur while seeking data from the hard disk.|
|Spin Up Time||It is the average time, taken by the spindle to become fully operational.|
|Start Stop Count||This attribute indicates the total number of counts of hard disk spindle has started or stopped. This count increases when the disk is turned on after the power off or after the sleep mode.|
|Reallocated Sector Count||This attribute records the number of transfers of data from bad sectors to a special reserved area. Therefore, more reallocated sectors reflect the deteriorating health of the hard disk.|
|Seek Error Rate||This attribute displays the number of failures of the magnetic heads to the right position on the platter. This error occurs due to partial failure of the mechanical positioning system.|
|Power On Hours||This attribute displays the total count of hours the disk is powered on.|
|Spin Retry Count||This attribute denotes the count of total spin start attempts to get to fully operational speed. Increased value of the attribute depicts problems in the hard disk mechanical subsystem.|
|Calibration Retry Count||This attribute stores the count of re-calibration requested. Increased value of the attribute depicts problems in the hard disk mechanical subsystem.|
|Power Cycle Count||This attribute indicates the count of full hard disk power on/off cycles.|
|Uncorrectable Errors||Count of errors that could not be recovered using hardware ECC (Error-correcting code).|
|High Fly Writes||Hard Disk has a Fly High Monitor that protects write operations by detecting when a recording head is flying outside its normal operating range. If such a condition is encountered, the information is reallocated to a safe region of the hard disk.
This attribute indicates the count of these errors detected over the lifetime of the disk.
|Power-off retract count or Emergency Retract Cycle||Count of number of power off cycles.|
|Load/ Unload Cycle Count||Count of load/unload cycles into head landing zone position.|
|Temperature Celsius||This attribute indicates the device temperature.|
|Reallocation Event Count||The value of this attribute shows the total count of attempts to transfer data from reallocated sectors to a spare area. Successful/ Unsuccessful attempts are counted.
|Current Pending Sector Count||This attribute stores the count of unstable sectors that are waiting to be remapped, because of unrecoverable read errors.|
|Uncorrectable Sector Count||This attribute stores the total count of uncorrectable errors while reading/writing a sector. Increased value of the attribute depicts problems in the hard disk mechanical subsystem and/or the defects of the disk surface.|
|UltraDMA CRC Error Count||The count of errors in data transfer via the interface cable as determined by ICRC (Interface Cyclic Redundancy Check).|
|Write Error Rate||The total count of errors when writing a sector. Increased value of the attribute denotes the worsening of the hard disk mechanical subsystem.|
|Data address Mark Errors||This attribute indicates the count of number of incorrect or invalid address marks.|
Disk Partitioning is the method of creating disk spaces of various size formatted in the different file system. These regions are called Partitions.
The Disk Partition module of the software displays the Partition Details of the hard drives such as:
- Partition: each represented by a drive letter, for example, C:, D: and so on
- Status: partition status like Healthy or Failed
- Space: available storage capacity, for example, 232 GB free of 313 GB
- The free space of disk in percent, for example, 74% free
It also displays the Serial number, Interface type and the Capacity of the disk.
Scan Disk module of Stellar Drive Monitor scans the hard disk for bad sectors. This process will report all the bad sectors in the disk that are identified in the scanning process.
Perform the following steps to scan a hard disk:
- Run Stellar Drive Monitor.
- Select a hard disk you want to scan from the top right pane.
- Click Scan. Scanning process starts, you can view the process in the Scan Window.
- ‘Scan Completed’ message is displayed after the process gets completed successfully. Click OK.
Processed blocks that are healthy show up in blue, while bad blocks are colored red.
The total time elapsed and the remaining time left in the completion of the scan process is also indicated at the right of the window.
- A scan process can be stopped at any moment by clicking the Stop button. However, stopping a scan process will mean that running a new scan will start from the beginning and not from the block it was stopped at.
- It is strongly advisable to create a Clone of a hard disk with bad sectors. A hard disk with bad sectors has a high probability of failure.
Cloning of the disk is the process of copying the entire data from the Source Disk to Target Disk, retaining every detail of the original disk. The cloning process will overwrite the existing data of the Target Disk with the data from the source disk. Once a clone of the source disk is created on the target disk, overwritten data is lost beyond the scope of data recovery.
To clone a disk:
- Run Stellar Drive Monitor.
- Select the Source Disk from the drop-down list of the top right pane. Disk details are displayed.
- Select the Target Disk from the drop-down list. Disk details are displayed.
- Click Clone to start the cloning process.
- A warning message is displayed. Click Start to start the cloning process, otherwise, click Cancel.
- Cloning process starts, and the percentage of cloning completed displays in a circular progress bar.
- ‘Disk cloning finished’ message is displayed after the process gets completed successfully. Click OK.
The total time elapsed and the remaining time left in cloning is also indicated at the right of the window.
- If the size of the target disk is smaller than or equal to the source disk, ‘Destination disk size is smaller than the source disk. Select different destination disk‘ dialog appears.
- Data on the target disk is lost while cloning and it can not be recovered again.
- The Target Disk should have a capacity greater than the Source Disk as overwriting is done from the beginning of the disk.
1. How many types of hard disks does Stellar Drive Monitor support?
Disks supported: PATA/SATA disk, USB drives, SSD.
In the case of pen drives, Smart status information, the model number and the serial number can not be seen.
2. What if the temperature, health, and performance of the hard disk are not displayed?
The problem is related to the hardware being analyzed (hard drive controller, port multiplier, etc.) or it’s driver which may block the detection.
If you update the drivers of the disk controller, then it may help to resolve the issue. The user can also use a different version of the Windows because of the different drivers available with a specific window.
3. Why hard disk temperature has the significant role to play in the working of a hard disk?
High-speed hard disks and their chassis can be very congested. Due to both these reasons, the disk heats up, and the working of the hard disk diminishes. Also, the reliability of the hard disk decreases.
By using Stellar Drive Monitor, the user can keep track of the temperature of the hard disk and if required, can set the application to give the user a warning about the increase in the temperature above a specific limit.
4. Does the user have the facility of deducing out the bad sectors on the hard disk?
Yes, the user can deduce out the bad sectors using the software. The software analyzes every block containing the sectors, and by in-depth analysis, the software results out the bad sectors count.
Using the ”Scan Disk” module the user can deep scan the whole hard disk to find the number of bad sectors on the hard disk.
5. Why is it necessary to clone a hard disk?
Sometimes due to the frequent use of the disk, not shutting down the system and number of bad sectors in the disk the proper working of the disk is hindered and also the data of the hard disk is lost. To avoid the improper working of the disk and to make the data safe it becomes compulsory to take backup of the data. One of the solutions is to clone the hard drive.
Stellar Drive Monitor facilitates the cloning of the hard disk to avoid the impending issues using ”Clone Disk” module.
6. Can a smaller hard disk be cloned?
No, the target disk should be greater in size as compared to the source disk.
7. Why Stellar Drive Monitor?
Stellar Drive Monitor is a proactive approach that safeguards you from unwanted data loss situations. It keeps an eye on the health and performance of the hard disk and in most of the cases, alerts you before any data loss scenario.
Stellar Drive Monitor software, accompanied user manual and documentation are copyright of Stellar Information Technology Private Limited, with all rights reserved. Under the copyright laws, this user manual cannot be reproduced in any form without the prior written permission of Stellar Information Technology Private Limited. No Patent Liability is assumed, however, with respect to the use of the information contained herein.
Copyright © Stellar Information Technology Private Limited. INDIA.
The Information contained in this manual, including but not limited to any product specifications, is subject to change without notice.
STELLAR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PRIVATE LIMITED PROVIDES NO WARRANTY WITH REGARD TO THIS MANUAL OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN AND HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE WITH REGARD TO ANY OF THE FOREGOING STELLAR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PRIVATE LIMITED ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES INCURRED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM ANY TECHNICAL OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS OR OMISSIONS CONTAINED HEREIN OR FOR DISCREPANCIES BETWEEN THE PRODUCT AND THE MANUAL. IN NO EVENT SHALL STELLAR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PRIVATE LIMITED, BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL SPECIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, WHETHER BASED ON TORT, CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS MANUAL OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN OR THE USE THEREOF.
Stellar Drive Monitor® is a registered trademark of Stellar Information Technology Private Limited.
Windows 7®, Windows 8®, Windows 8.1® and Windows 10® are registered trademarks of Microsoft® Corporation Inc.
All Trademarks Acknowledged.
All other brands and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
License Agreement – Stellar Drive Monitor
Stellar Drive Monitor
Copyright © Stellar Information Technology Private Limited. INDIA
All rights reserved.
All product names mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.
This license applies to the standard-licensed version of Stellar Drive Monitor
Your Agreement to this License
You should carefully read the following terms and conditions before using, installing or distributing this software, unless you have a different license agreement signed by Stellar Information Technology Private Limited.
If you do not agree to all of the terms and conditions of this License then do not copy, install, distribute or use any copy of Stellar Drive Monitor with which this License is included, you may return the complete package unused without requesting an activation key within 30 days after purchase for a full refund of your payment.
The terms and conditions of this License describe the permitted use and users of each Licensed Copy of Stellar Drive Monitor. For purposes of this License, if you have a valid single-user license, you have the right to use a single Licensed Copy of Stellar Drive Monitor. If you or your organization has a valid multi-user license, then you or your organization has the right to use up to a number of Licensed Copies of Stellar Drive Monitor equal to the number of copies indicated in the documents issued by Stellar when granting the license.
Scope of License
Each Licensed Copy of Stellar Drive Monitor may either be used by a single person or used non-simultaneously by multiple people who use the software personally installed on a single workstation. This is not a concurrent use license.
All rights of any kind in Stellar Drive Monitor, which are not expressly granted in this license, are entirely and exclusively reserved to and by Stellar Information Technology Private Limited. You shall not rent, lease, modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative works based on Stellar Drive Monitor nor permit anyone else to do so. You shall not make access to Stellar Drive Monitor available to others in connection with a service bureau, application service provider or similar business nor permit anyone else to do so.
Warranty Disclaimers and Liability Limitations
Stellar Drive Monitor and all accompanying software, files, data and materials are distributed and provided AS IS and with no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied. You acknowledge that good data processing procedure dictates that any program including Stellar Drive Monitor must be thoroughly tested with non-critical data before there is any reliance on it and you hereby assume the entire risk of all use of the copies of Stellar Drive Monitor covered by this License. This disclaimer of warranty constitutes an essential part of this License. In addition, in no event does Stellar authorize you or anyone else to use Stellar Drive Monitor in applications or systems where its failure to perform can reasonably be expected to result in a significant physical injury or in loss of life. Any such use is entirely at your own risk and you would not hold Stellar responsible for any and all claims or losses relating to such unauthorized use.
In no event shall Stellar Information Technology Private Limited or its suppliers be liable for any special, incidental, indirect, or consequential damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of business profits, business interruption, loss of business information, or any other pecuniary loss) arising out of the use of or inability to use the software product or the provision of or failure to provide support services, even if Stellar Information Technology Private Limited has been advised of the possibility of such damages. In any case, Stellar Information Technology Private Limited’s entire liability under any provision shall be limited to the amount actually paid by you for the software product.
This License is the complete statement of the agreement between the parties on the subject matter and merges and supersedes all other or prior understandings, purchase orders, agreements and arrangements. This License shall be governed by the laws of the State of Delhi, India. Exclusive jurisdiction and venue for all matters relating to this License shall be in courts and fora located in the State of Delhi, India and you consent to such jurisdiction and venue. There are no third party beneficiaries of any promises, obligations or representations made by Stellar herein. Any waiver by Stellar of any violation of this License by you shall not constitute nor contribute to a waiver by Stellar of any other or future violation of the same provision or any other provision of this License.
Copyright © Stellar Information Technology Private Limited. All rights reserved.
Stellar is the world’s foremost Data Care Corporation, with expertise in Data Recovery, Data Erasure, Mailbox Conversion, and File Repair software and services. Stellar has been in existence from past 25+ years and is a customer-centric, critically acclaimed, global data recovery, data migration & erasure solutions provider with cost-effective solutions available for large corporate, SMEs & Home Users.
Stellar has a strong presence across USA, Europe & Asia.
Stellar provides a wide range of Do It Yourself (DIY) Software for Consumer as well as Software for Businesses:
The widest range of data recovery software that helps you recover your valued data lost after accidental format, virus problems, software malfunction, file/directory deletion, or even sabotage!
The most comprehensive range of file repair software for Windows, Mac and Linux. Recover your files, which have been infected by viruses, malwares or have been damaged by improper shutdown and other corruption-related issues.
Best software for IT assets disposition. Secure and erase variety of storage media and files from PC/Laptop, Servers, Rack Drives or Mobile devices. Data once erased cannot be recovered by using any data recovery software or service.
Email Repair & Converter
Email Backup Tools
Robust applications to restore inaccessible mailboxes of MS Exchange, Outlook, AppleMail, Thunderbird, Eudora, Spicebird, Entourage, and Pocomail mailbox. Also, tools to convert mailboxes and database files from one format to another.
Professional and reliable software to repair corrupt or damaged database for Microsoft SQL Server, QuickBooks®, Microsoft Access, SQLite and many more.
Fully featured backup utilities that provides a comprehensive solution in case of any disaster. These software facilitates taking back up of all your mails, contacts, tasks, notes, calendar entries, journals etc. with full & incremental backup options.
Photo and Video Tools
Professional tools to rebuild damaged or corrupt photos, videos, audios, and other multimedia files, from Window and Mac systems. Recover files from hard drives, memory cards, iPods, USB flash drives, digital cameras, IBM Micro Drives and more.
A range of utility software such as SpeedUp Mac, Drive Clone and Partition Manager for Mac systems as well as Password Recovery for Windows and Password Recovery for Windows Server based systems
Stellar also provides toolkits that are combination of Powerful Tools Designed for Data Recovery, File repair, Mailbox repair and File Conversion. All in one power packed toolkits to meet the need of every business.
For more information about us, please visit www.stellarinfo.com.