Recover Drive or Volume Erased Accidentally with Disk Utility

August 27, 2018     6880 views     0     0

Though accidentally but it is possible that you may erase or remove an important drive or volume from the Mac using the Disk Utility. It happens to the best of us but results of accidental deletion of a Mac disk drive or partition are harmful. It results in loss of contained documents, emails, videos, photos and audios from the Mac drive.

However, with Stellar Mac Data Recovery application, you can search the lost or deleted Mac partition and recover all the data which was erased using Disk Utility.

Follow the steps listed below and recover your deleted drive and the data:

1. Launch Stellar Mac Data Recovery and customize your scan

2. Next, click ‘Can’t find Volume’ to search deleted or erased drive

3. Select your hard drive and search the partitions

4. Shortly, the software will list up ‘Lost Volume’

5. Select your lost volume and start the scan

6. Preview the scan after scan completion

7. Recover your data to another drive

Supported File-systems for partition recovery are - HFS, HFS+, NTFS, FAT, ex-FAT

Slava
March 19, 2013 01:18 am

I have a external drive that was quick formatted, i used all of the steps above, they got me to the root tree and i can see all of the data that was before on the drive,, i recover most of it till i realize that all of the file that has been recovered already to a separate drive won't open,, none of the file wave, jpg, zip, avi and so on. just wont open the size is there the file name too folders as well but cant be rad.. very strange any Help???

March 19, 2013 04:03 am

Hi Slava,

Did you further use the formatted hard drive to write data onto it? This might be one of the possible reason of data corruption as important file components got partially overwritten by some new files. The recovery tool will recover formatted data but won't fix any already corrupted files.

Mila
March 27, 2013 03:24 pm

I have very similar problem as in Slava' s case. I also formatted external hard drive, and scaned disk using Tellar DAta Recovery, got the root tree. But after recovering files- I couln'd open them.
I didn't write anything on the disk after formatting.
Any sugestions?

April 17, 2013 10:04 am

Hi Mila,

The Mac hard drive has catalog files that act as index to data saved on to the drive. When the hard drive is formatted, first catalog file always gets overwritten by new catalog. When you run Stellar Mac data recovery tool it will recover those files but due to overwriting of index file, recovered files may not launch as expected.

Paulo
May 17, 2013 12:06 am

I have a 2TB xternal HD formatted accidentally, before formatting it has 20% Free Space. Can I save the recovered files into the same volume after scannig? Thanks lot

May 17, 2013 09:40 am

The software will prompt you to save the recovered data on a different drive or location, So, it is advisable to save recovered data on different media.

Elena
June 7, 2013 06:19 am

Help! I also cannot read the files after recovery! I did not write anything on the external hard disc. I lost my files because I needed to modify the sice of the second partition that was on the disc. So the other one with my photos... well, everything was gone.
I ran MacDataRecovery and purchased it because it showed me that everything could be recovered. I recovered the jpegs - but NOTHING! It says the files cannot be open. what can I do?

June 10, 2013 06:48 am

Hi Elena,

Though the software has successfully recovered the lost data but files recovered seems to be corrupted. This might have happened when you resize the partition and lost these images. The data recovery software finds the header of the lost file on the hard drive. If the header is located it then recovers files successfully. But to run a file, other parts of the file should also be present in correct manner. There is a chance that header was intact while other important components of the file were damaged while resizing the Mac partition. We do have a JPEG repair tool for Mac, if you want to try you can use the demo of the Stellar Repair for Photo for Mac.