BitRaser for file uses 17 international data erasure algorithms, such as U.S. Department of Defense (DoD Standard 5220.22-M) 3 passes/7 passes, NATO, German Standard, VSITR (7 passes), etc. The tool provides an option to choose the Erasure Algorithm under the Tools option. By default, the erasure algorithm is ‘Zeroes’.
Follow these steps to set a default algorithm for erasure before performing data erasure using BitRaser for File:
- Launch BitRaser for File and click on the ‘Tools’ tab
- Click the ‘Erasure Algorithm’ drop-down list to view 17 different international data erasure algorithms
- Select the algorithm that you want to set as default and then click ‘Apply’
- Algorithm settings changed successfully message box is displayed. Click OK
- Click the ‘Home’ tab
- Click on ‘Erase Now’ and then browse the location of file(s) or folder(s)
- Click the required checkboxes to select the located files and folders
- Click the ‘Erase Now’ button to erase the selected files and folders using the default data erasure algorithm
- Wait till the erasure process is finished. Click ‘Yes’, when prompted, to reboot the system
You can also erase other data like internet activities, system traces, application traces, and unused space using the default algorithm or by changing the algorithm from the Tools tab.