How to recover files deleted from Time Machine external hard drive?

February 7, 2018     34794 views     0     0

Download the demo version of Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - Professional software and go through the below-stated step-by-step guideline to recover files deleted (Backups.backupdb folders and enclosed files) from Time Machine hard drive.

Steps are as follows:

• Launch the Mac File Recovery software. Select the type of data that you want to recover.
  • Select the Time Machine External Drive as your location since this is where you want to restore the deleted data from.
  • Click Scan to start the scanning process.
  • After the completion of the scanning, the software will list the found files and folders in the Time Machine External Drive in a Tabbed view of scanned Tree – Classic List/ File List / Deleted List
  • Select a file or folder to launch its Preview.
  • Next, select all the desired files or folders.
  • Click Recover and specify Destination to start saving the recovered files.

Note: Try Deep Scan, in case if scan result is not satisfactory.

Cris Marincat
July 2, 2015 02:48 pm

I've used the deleted file recovery for a mac based external hard drive. It shows me a list of files. Is there any way to view this in folders? Because all the files I need to restore were in a time machine backup, but I believe the brilliant mac "cleaned up backups" leaving nothing beyond last week. I could also just try to find the downloads folder and a couple other folders.

July 3, 2015 08:45 am

Hi Cris,

Yes you can view your files in folders. Just look at the left pane of the software where files are classified as per folders. You need to browse these folders in order to preview your recovered files.

Jacob
July 20, 2015 11:35 pm

My issue is that the .sparsebundle file on my Time Machine volume is corrupted. My main hope is to find a few backed up files (rather than get the many weeks of system backups) from the sparsebundle. Is that possible? And what scanning option would you recommend?

July 21, 2015 04:35 am

Hi Jacob,

We recommend you to use Filter option of the Stellar Phoenix Mac data recovery once scan is finished. You can filter files on the basis of Classic List, File List and Filter List. Else, insert .(file extension) in the software search box and recover. Do let us know further query.

Randy Parker
September 16, 2015 12:54 pm

I have scanned a corrupted Time Machine backup partition on an external hard drive. The program had run for over 15 hours. When I returned to check the progress the program had terminated unexpectedly. No window, not running, period. What's going on?

September 17, 2015 05:12 am

Hello Randy Parker,

Could you please let us know as to what data recovery option did you ran on Time Machine drive using Stellar Phoenix Mac data recovery V7.0. There are couple of procedure which you can follow in case of scanning a corrupt media:

1) Scan your corrupt Time Machine hard drive using RAW Recovery feature of the software.

2) Else create a DMG Image file of the Time Machine drive using Create Image option and start scan on it.

Please apply above methods and do revert back in case of further query.

Ghiath
September 27, 2015 07:27 am

my problem is that the file recovered are encrypted and i want to decrypt them back

September 28, 2015 02:55 am

Hi Ghiath,

Could you please let us know what process did you followed to recover files? Also, were the files already encrypted before recovery? Or after recovery the files are asking for decryption?

Kindly provide us with the information and we will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks!!

Keith Ogden
January 13, 2016 12:39 am

Will your software allow me to recover data from a network mounted time machine drive. In particular, can I recover from a time capsule volume?

January 14, 2016 06:29 am

Hi Keith,

Current version of Stellar Phoenix Mac data recovery software doesn't allow recovery from Time Capsule or network mounted Time Machine. However, Mac Data Recovery next version will surly support Apple Time Machine Capsule. We will be releasing the next version very soon. Stay tuned.

Piyush
May 8, 2016 01:02 pm

Hello,

In response to one of the comment above, you mentioned that the future version of your SW shall support recovery from a Time Capsule disk mounted as shared drive. I installed the demo version of your current SW and it does not show the network drive / Time Capsule drive.

How close are you to releasing a support for recovery from a Time Capsule disk?

May 9, 2016 10:48 am

Hi Piyush,

Make sure that you are using Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery V7.1.0.0 Version. Below are steps to detect Apple Time Capsule in Mac Data recovery 7.1:

1. Open /Applications/Utility/Airport Utility
2. Connect your Apple Time Capsule & check connectivity, it prompts password to detect.
3. Once detected in system, Open Finder and Drive Pane in the Left Pane.You will see the Network drive there.
4. Click Network drive, You can see Folder name 'Data' inside it.
5. Open Data folder.
6. You can see Sparse Disk Image Bundle there.
7. Double click on Sparse Disk Image Bundle, It mount on Desktop as Time machine backup volume.
8. Run Mac Data Recovery Software, It will list & scan this Time machine backup volume.

Hope this helps!!! Do let us know your further query.

Ben
July 22, 2016 06:28 pm

How to recover a common folder stored on the Time Capsule?

July 26, 2016 06:50 am

Hi Ben,

1) Select sparse disk image bundle and double click the image bundle to mount it on the Mac desktop.
2) Run the software and select Time Capsule.
3) Choose Recover Data << Quick Recovery or Advance Recovery.
4) Let the software completes the scan.
5) Preview folder and recover files.

Hope this resolves your query.

René
July 31, 2016 08:39 pm

I have got a network mounted time machine. I can see it in the finder and can navigate to the sparse bundle. I would like to recover deleted backups from my time machine and installed your software for that purpose (the trial version to check if it can actually see something). However, the time machine is not visible in your software.

August 1, 2016 02:53 am

Hi René,

Because software doesn't support data recovery on network mounted Time Machine hard drive.

John C
August 2, 2016 03:42 am

I'm looking for the ability to archive my oldest TM backups as a fallback to worst case scenario. Any suggestions on using your (or other) software to do this? Thanks

August 2, 2016 04:52 am

Hi John,

Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery software recovers files deleted or lost from a Time Machine backup hard drive and Time Capsule Sparse Bundle Disk Image. This software isn’t a backup application however you can create the disk image of your hard drive using the ‘Create Image’ module, which can further use as a backup.

Hope it helps...

Ryan
December 1, 2016 03:42 pm

While formatting and reinstalling MacOS Sierra to my MacBook Air, I accidentally formatted (quick method in DiskUtility) my Time Machine Partition. Just prior to formatting the drive I had backed up my Air, so if recoverable it should be exactly what I need. What would the best search settings be to recover the Time Machine backup volume, or just the files required for my Air, that resided on the formatted external disk?

Ryan
December 2, 2016 01:10 am

I'm trying to recover a Time Machine backup on a volume that was formatted. I did a recover and it found the Lost Volume. However, I am not sure which option to select next, to scan for the time machine backup folders, to restore.

December 2, 2016 06:31 am

Hi Ryan,

You can run “Recover Data << Advance Recovery” on your recovered lost volume. Advanced Scan recovers lost files or data from formatted volumes. It takes more time in scanning but has better recovery results.

Robert Aschermann
March 23, 2017 10:23 pm

I have a 2TB image of a corrupted Time Machine drive on a 2TB external USB 3.0 drive. I have run the Advanced Recovery method because the Quick Recovery method kept crashing out. I have also enabled the option to use HD space in addition to RAM. It took about 6 hours to scan the disk image for the first step of the recovery. I have now been on a step called "Updating and filtering directory entries" for about 3 hours. How long should this take. It doesn't look like the process is hung, but it also doesn't look like much is happening.

March 27, 2017 03:33 am

Hi Robert,

Kindly try to recover the data directly from the Time Machine drive instead of the image of the corrupted drive.

If you want to recover the data from the image of the corrupted Time Machine drive then you should use the option "Search Lost/Deleted Volumes".

Good Luck!

Gus Miller
April 6, 2017 09:05 am

I've accidentally formatted a 2tb external drive. I've tried the advanced search on the 'Search lost and deleted' option, it took several hours and found 1 volume and then several hours later only recovered a few files that totalled 154mb.

However when I try the 'Deleted Recovery' option it's now showing me which files it has found, but it's taking over 24 hours and has got to 464GB and has completely slowed down. Is this normal? or is there something I could else I could be doing? Should I just stick it out for a few days?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

April 10, 2017 11:15 am

Hi Gus,

As you mentioned you accidentally formatted the Time Machine hard drive but you choose to run ‘Search lost and deleted’ which is for deleted and lost partitions. In your case, you haven’t lost any partition. For formatted hard drive recovery you should choose ‘Recover Data << Advanced Scan.

About the slow scan process, your hard drive is 2 TB in size and hence software will take the time to complete the scan. Moreover, it's a Time Machine disk which usually takes more time to get scanned as compared to other HFS hard drives.

Since you have initiated the deleted recovery, it is advisable to let the software complete the scan.

Please feel free to share your further queries.

don
December 28, 2017 12:13 am

Can I get back a deleted partial (white) time machine file?
-Thanks

December 28, 2017 04:04 am

We request you to contact our technical support team , we are sure that our team will able to help you.

Warm Regards