Memory card involves risks of getting your data lost or deleted permanently if it’s damaged, become inaccessible or start giving read/write or formatting error. The misery is, there is not any manual method available other than using photo recovery software to retrieve deleted pictures from memory card.
Note: If you’re not interested to study more about these error messages, just directly go to the solution mentioned at the bottom.
Type of common SD Card errors
‘Memory card not formatted’ error is one of the leading causes of photo loss as it prevents user from accessing their stored photos, recorded videos or any other type of multimedia files. This memory card error clearly indicates that it can’t be used anymore to save or access photos.
Including the error mentioned earlier, there are more similar errors which leads to similar circumstances and you’ll need to take it seriously before leading to any final conclusion:
SD Card is “write protected”
Memory card is ‘write protected'
'No Memory Card' error
Memory Card Is Write Protected or Locked
This Card Cannot Be Used
The disk in drive is not formatted
The Drive is Not Formatted, Do You Want to Format It Now
Memory card file system is RAW
'You Need to Format the Disk in Drive'
All above mentioned memory card errors is related to internal problem with the card itself such as directory structure corruption, failing or file system corruption etc. and leads to photo loss situation from memory card.
These problems may arise whenever you try to access the corresponding device memory card when the system dialog box may appears which may ask you to format the drive first before start using it.
Is there anything I can do to fix memory card errors or related problems?
Well, as I’ve already stated, there is no manual ways of to get rid of various card related problems. However, there are few things you can do yourself to check and make sure that situation isn’t gone too bad for you.
1. Change USB Port or external card reader
Sometime SD card problems arises due to system problems itself such as damaged USB slots, corrupt card reader or faulty cables. Consider using different USB ports or system to see if problem isn’t with your memory card. You can also try to connect your memory card directly using the device on which, your memory card is inserted i.e. Digital Camera, Smartphone device, Tablets etc.
2. Simply remove your memory card and plug it back
It’s also possible that this error might have happened just because of improper removal of the card and can be easily resolved if you simply remove it and plug it back. This time, make sure that everything is connected properly and green or red light is clearly showing on the corresponding device.
3. Check if your system is not injected by any kind of virus/malware threats which is preventing your memory card from accessing. Consider running anti-malware or virus removal program on your system first and see if they can catch anything suspicious for you.
Will formatting the memory card fix everything?
No, not at all!! Keep in mind that formatting memory card will permanently wipes everything stored and your hope to restore them back in future. Don’t even try to fix memory card errors using any corrupt SD card repair software either. It’ll just make the situation worst and put your media files far away from the reach of recommended SD card recovery software.
How do I retrieve lost photos?
See if you’ve created any backup copy previously and stored all your media files. If so, it’s time to make it handy and consider restoring everything back on the computer system and later transfer it to your memory card after formatting.
It’s also possible that you may have already copied everything on the computer system. You’ll be in great trouble if you haven’t performed any of the steps mentioned earlier.
OK!! I’ve tried everything but nothing seems working, now what?
Just take a deep breath and prepare yourself for this new adventure. We’ll talk through series of steps to recover deleted photos from various type of cards such as Compact Flash Cards, SD Cards, Memory sticks, Micro SD cards etc.
You don’t need to worry about your data as its still clicking somewhere on the drive and can be seen only by using compact flash card recovery software. Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery is equipped with latest technologies and capable to detect various type of flash memory cards on the fly. Later, it performs smooth recovery from the corrupted or damaged SD card that is no longer accessible.
Just prepare few things before getting on board:
• Problem SD Card
• Connective Media: USB Cable that isn’t damaged or faulty or external card reader. You can also use the same device in which the memory card is inserted or plugged in.
• Free download trail copy of Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery and install it on your PC or Mac system. Trail version is used to scan the problem memory card and shows media files that it can actually recover. Keep in mind that you’ll need to purchase a premium license copy to have your media files recovered.
Ready to recover deleted files from memory card? Just perform few simple steps below and you are done:
• Double click on Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery icon on the Desktop created during installation.
• Click on the button stating ‘Recover Photo, Audio & Video’.
• On the next screen, all the internal and externally attached media will be listed including the system hard drive and its partitions as well as your memory card, probably named as ‘Removal Disk’.
If you can’t see your memory card under ‘Select Media for Recovery’ window, you’ll need to follow steps mentioned under fixing memory card related problems above.
• Click on or select your memory card and click ‘Scan Now’. Scanning process will begin scanning your problem media and shows list of files that it can recover for you.
You can see the preview of recoverable media files even when the scanning progress bar is rolling out.
Meanwhile, you can also stop the scanning process if you’ve found all your photos and documents that you’re looking for using the ‘Turn Off’ radio button. Click on ‘Yes’ when asked to abort the operation.
• Click on the ‘Deleted list’ from the left side pane to look for only deleted or RAW photos.
• Click on the check box placed against all the listed recoverable photos, videos or even folder that you wanted to recover.
• Finally, click on ‘Recover’ button located at the bottom to recover memory card photos and videos.
• That’s it!!
Please note that scanning process involves lot of calculations and may takes time, often little longer than expected. Moreover, turnaround time to complete the scanning procedure is also depends on the capacity of the flash drive.
Are you still facing some issues on recovering photos or stuck somewhere? Don’t bother and let us know the situation in comment box below.