To recover the data from a crashed hard disk, either you need a working machine with Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery software installed in it or a Stellar Phoenix bootable DVD that comes along with the software.
To recover the data using installed copy of Stellar Phoenix, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Click on Start New Scan button on the main user interface.
2. Now select your hard drive and choose Quick Recovery option.
3. The software scans and displays all the lost files/folders of the selected volume in a tree view.
4. Select files/folders that you wish to recover.
5. Click on Recover button or right click on files/folders and select the Recover option to recover the selected files/folders.
6. Specify the location where you want to save the files.
The recovered files/folders are saved at the specified location.
Note: In case the volume is not displayed, then follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Select your hard drive in the software and choose the Search Lost/Deleted Volumes option and click on Start Scan button to start the scanning process. The software scans and displays all the lost/deleted volumes.
2. Select the volume that has to be scanned for data from the list of displayed volumes.
3. Three scanning options are available:
Select the desired option. After selecting the scanning option, follow steps 3 to 6 mentioned above to recover your data.
Now, if you have a bootable DVD, then you can boot the machine with it and then run the recovery software to recover data (by following the steps mentioned above). However, in case, the bootable DVD is not available then you need to connect the crashed hard disk to another machine that has the software installed in it and then recover data by following the steps mentioned above.