Losing files from a system or storage device due to logical data loss reasons is not a major concern as you can use a file recovery software to recover the lost data. However, choosing the right software is a difficult task as there are plenty of file recovery software options available in the market. In this post, we have listed 10 best file recovery software for Windows 11, along with their features, pros, cons, and other details to help you choose the suitable file recovery software for your needs.
10 Best File Recovery Software for Windows
Here are some best file recovery software that we’ve shortlisted based on their features, functionality, and ease-of-use.
1. Stellar Data Recovery
Image Courtesy: [stellarinfo(dot)com]
Stellar Data Recovery is one of the best file recovery software when it comes to recovery from Windows systems and supported devices. The software can efficiently recover files, folders, documents, photos, videos, audio, etc. It is a DIY software and no specific technical expertise is required to perform the data recovery process.
Stellar Data Recovery can recover data from all types of storage devices, including HDDs, SSDs, USB drives, 4K drives, and optical media. It supports file recovery from hard drives of up to 16 TB. If your hard drive has suffered any physical damage, Stellar provides internationally accredited recovery Lab services.
- Recovers almost all data file types
- Customized scan options for quick recovery
- Two scan modes - Quick scan and Deep scan
- File recovery from lost/deleted partitions recovery
- File recovery from unbootable or crashed Windows PC
- Data retrieval from failed or broken RAID 0, 5, and 6 arrays
- Streamlined recovery from formatted, corrupted, or RAW drives
- File recovery from BitLocker-encrypted drives
- SMART drive monitoring to monitor hard drive health
- Free version recovers up to 1 GB data
- Need higher versions to access all the features
- Deep scan takes more time as it searches based on file signatures
Learn More ...
2. Disk Drill
Image Courtesy: [cleverfiles(dot)com]
Disk Drill is also one of the best file recovery software. You can recover files, folders, photos, and more, using this software. This software offers two scanning modes, i.e., Quick Scan and Deep Scan. The software can retrieve lost files from all kinds of storage drives with any file system. In addition, it has a Recovery Vault feature that enables the user to designate files and folders for better protection.
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface
- Recovery support for all disk-based storage media
- Provides byte-level backups of storage media
- Free trial version only recovers up to 500 MB data
- Partial RAID recovery available
Image Courtesy: [cleaner(dot)com]
Recuva is another file recovery software that can get back lost or deleted files from Windows PCs and external storage devices, such as hard disk drives, USBs, SSDs, and memory cards. The software consists of a Deep scan feature to scan the drives and restore lost or deleted files and folders.
- Simple and easy-to-use interface
- Allows to preview files before saving
- File recovery from hard drives, USBs, SSDs, memory cards, etc.
- Supports file recovery from formatted and corrupted hard disk partitions/volumes
- Recovery support for virtual hard drive volume is available
- Quality of files declines post recovery
- Advanced features are available only in the PRO version
4. EaseUS Data Recovery
Image Courtesy: [easeus(dot)com]
EaseUS Data Recovery is a data recovery software with an intuitive user interface. The software supports recovery from missing or deleted partitions and volumes. It can retrieve data from formatted, corrupted, or even RAW drives. It supports recovery of more than 1000 file types. However, there is no option to add a file type. You may preview the scanned files before saving it.
- Simple user interface
- Recovery support from formatted, corrupted, and inaccessible drives
- Dual scanning modes - Quick Scan and Deep Scan
- Bootable data recovery support available
- Smart disk monitoring available for Mac version
- The free version only retrieves data up to 1 GB (Get additional 1 GB by posting the software link on social media)
- No Disk Imaging utility
- No support for recovery from encrypted media
5. Active@ File Recovery
Image Courtesy: [file-recovery(dot)com]
Another file retrieval software that sums up in this comprehensive list of the best file recovery software is Active@ File Recovery. This software can get back your deleted or lost files from multiple storage devices, such as HDD, USB, SD, and SSD, including RAID volumes. The software performs signature-based scanning to retrieve maximum data from RAW, corrupt, or formatted disk drives. This software is the only data retrieval tool with an inbuilt Hex Editor, called ‘Active Disk Editor.’ The software supports more than 150 file types.
- Supports file recovery from deleted/damaged/formatted partitions and volumes
- Integrated Active@ Disk Editor to inspect raw disk sectors
- Data recovery support is available for drives with NTFS, ReFS, exFAT, FAT, HFS+, APFS, and UFS file systems
- The free version only recovers data up to 64 KB
- Damaged RAID data recovery is available in PRO version
- Bootable Windows Recovery in Ultimate version
Image Courtesy: [recoverit.wondershare(dot)net]
Recoverit is a data recovery software that can help you get back files, folders, and other data lost in case of accidental deletion, drive formatting, corruption, or virus attack. The software can help you restore data from missing or deleted partitions. It supports data retrieval from FAT, NTFS, Ext2, Ext3, HFS, HFS+, and HFSX file systems. Also, it supports recovery of over 550 file formats. The software also provides bootable recovery support to recover data from crashed or non-bootable Windows PCs.
- File recovery from external storage drives, pen drives, etc.
- Preview recoverable files before saving
- Bootable data recovery feature is available
- Restores data from formatted or corrupt hard drives
- Provides recovery support for 1000+ file formats for data recovery
- Free remote technical service
- Bootable media recovery utility with Pro version
- The free version lets you recover data up to 100 MB data
- Recovered files are of somewhat low quality
7. R-Studio Data Recovery
Image Courtesy: [r-studio(dot)com]
R-Studio is a data recovery software primarily designed for professionals, IT experts, and professional users. The different software versions are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It also has a SMART monitoring tool. A more simplified version of the software, called R-Undelete, is also available.
- Multi-language GUI
- Create Disk Image utility available
- Data retrieval from failed or broken RAID 0, 1, 4, 5, and 6 arrays
- Supports all major formats of documents, emails, archives, photos, videos, etc.
- File recovery from lost, deleted, or formatted hard drive partitions
- Offers SMART monitoring tool
- The interface and comprehensive features may be confusing for some users
- Slower recovery process
8. MiniTool Power Data Recovery
Image Courtesy: [minitool(dot)com]
MiniTool is a powerful data recovery software, which is designed for partition data recovery. The software interface is highly intuitive and user-friendly. The software can restore data from external storage devices. It also supports recovery from RAW drives. It can also retrieve files from crashed Windows PCs. It has a ‘Previous Recovery Result’ feature that allows multiple recoveries on a single full scan of a device.
- Bootable recovery feature is available
- Quick scanning speed
- Recovery from damaged DVDs and CDs
- Multiple file recovery simultaneously
- Free version allows recovery of up to 1 GB data
- Unable to minimize the window while the program is operating
- Poor preview functionality
- Unable to mount recovery results
9. Data Rescue 6
Image Courtesy: [prosofteng(dot)com]
This file recovery software comes with a suite of advanced recovery features. The interface is simple and easy-to-use. The software enables you to restore the data from corrupted, formatted, or even crashed Windows PC. It features a bootable recovery drive utility, which lets you get back data from non-bootable systems. The software facilitates recovery of 150+ file types. The hex viewer allows you to have a preview of files before retrieving them.
- Recovers data from formatted or corrupt storage drive
- Dual scanning available – Quick scan and Deep scan
- Cloning hard drive option
- Search and filter functions to locate and restore files based on size, type, or name
- Pro version automatically check for RAID configurations
- Create Recovery Drive utility available to restore data from non-bootable PC
- No free file recovery software version is available
- The Standard version limits the user to 5 drive retrievals
10. Remo File Recovery Software
Image Courtesy: [remosoftware(dot)com]
This data retrieval software can efficiently get back your data from Windows 11. The tool offers support for multiple files system, custom undelete features, and provides overwrite-protection. The Save Recovery Session feature of the tool lets you scan the entire drive or partition and retrieve data from the saved recovery session at your convenience. The software can restore 300+ file formats.
- Equipped with Preview files option
- Save Recovery Session available
- Recovery support for all storage drives, such as HDDs, SSDs, etc.
- Includes Quick and Deep scan
- Technical support available
- No Bootable Drive Recovery option available
- Preview file feature doesn’t work for documents
- Recovery from formatted partitions available only in the Pro edition
- No data recovery with the free version
|Software||Free Recovery||Dual Scan||Bootable Recovery||Lost/ Deleted Partition Recovery||SMART Drive Monitoring|
|Stellar Data Recovery||1 GB||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Disk Drill||500 MB||✓||NA||✓||NA|
|MiniTool Power||1 GB||✓||✓||✓||NA|
|Data Rescue 6||NA||✓||✓||✓||NA|
We have mentioned above 10 best file recovery software for Windows. Based on the features, pros, and cons, you can select a data recovery software for Windows that suits your specific requirements. All these software are capable of recovering data lost due to any logical data loss reason, such deletion, formatting, etc. Which File Recovery Software have you selected? How was your experience? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
1. What is the best data recovery software for Windows 10?
Here is a list of best data recovery software for Windows 10:
- Stellar Data Recovery
- Wondershare Recoverit
- Recuva Data Recovery
- EaseUS Data Recovery
- Disk Drill
2. Can I recover files from formatted hard drive using a data recovery software?
In most cases, data recovery from formatted hard drive is possible using a data recovery software, like Stellar Data Recovery for Windows (also available for Mac). However, you need to take immediate steps to recover the data before it gets overwritten. Take the following precautions:
- Stop using the hard drive immediately.
- Don’t save anything on your hard drive until data is recovered.
For more details, read: Is there any way to Recover Data from a Formatted Hard Drive?
3. Is there any free software for data recovery?
There are a number of free data recovery software available for use. But, there utility is limited as some of the advanced features are available only in the paid versions. Here is a list of best free data recovery software for Windows:
- Stellar Data Recovery Free Edition for Windows
- EaseUs Data Recovery
- Disk Drill
- Active@ Data Recovery
- MiniTool Power
4. Is it safe to use a data recovery software?
Data Recovery Software are absolutely secure as they don’t affect the existing data on your system and device. They recover the lost data from the spaces on the hard drive where it was stored prior to the loss. However, the only condition you need to keep in mind, while selecting a data recovery software is that it should come from a reliable brand and with assurance of secure data recovery, like Stellar Data Recovery.