‘I have lots of photos taken from DSLR during our recent vacation. I transferred the photos to the laptop. But was shocked to find almost half of the JPEG photos have a grey box over them. The JPEG images appeared perfect in camera. It is very upsetting. Is there a way to fix grey box in photos or greyed-out Photos?’
Memories are priceless and it is natural to be upset about the distortion in photos. JPEG pictures can often appear distorted with grey bands or missing parts over them.
There could be several reasons for the grey box appearing over your JPEG photos such as below:
- JPEG files did not transfer or copy completely
- Abrupt power shutdown during transfer of photos
- JPEG pictures are corrupt
- You have used an unsafe photo recovery tool that has led to corruption in recovered JPEG photo.
- Your JPEG storage media (hard drive, SD card, CF Card, memory card etc.) is logically or physically corrupted
How to repair half-grey photos
- Download the JPEG files again
- Restore JPEG pictures from backup
- Use a third-party JPEG repair software
- Repair with Command Prompt
- Repair corrupt JPEG with Hex Editor
- Open greyed-out JPEG in Image Editor
- Download JPEG files again
Sometimes incomplete download or transfer of JPEG photos due to abrupt shutdown of computer, disconnection of storage media in the middle of the process can cause JPEG images to appear partially. Try downloading the pictures again.
- Retrieve JPEG from your backup
Maintaining backup is an overt advice for all kinds of photo loss situations. If you follow it then retain the correct JPEG photos from your backup folder in your PC, flash drive, SD card, or memory card etc.
|Did JPEG turn grey after importing from Lightroom? Backup works in critical situations like when you edit the photos in Photoshop or Lightroom and they turn half grey after import. If you edited the copy of JPEG file, you are safe. You still have the original JPEG picture and can edit it again in Lightroom or Photoshop.
3. Fix grey box in photos with Stellar Phoenix JPEG Repair
JPEG photos covered with grey bands or having missing parts are efficiently repaired with Stellar Phoenix JPEG Repair.
Remember, most third-party repair programs are not smart enough to analyse and fix completely unreadable JPEG files with corrupt header/ JPEG data, invalid JPEG file structure, unknown or invalid JPEG marker, missing SOS marker etc. Stellar Phoenix JPEG Repair is one tool that fixes corruptions in JPEG header, file data, or file structure while maintaining the original quality of the image.
Even the most severely corrupt pictures can be retained with its thumbnail recovery feature.
|Why you should choose Stellar Phoenix JPEG Repair
- Quickly repairs an unlimited number of photos at a time
- Preview repaired photos
- Extracts thumbnails of severely corrupt photos
- Supports all types of cameras and storage devices
- Available for both Windows and Mac systems
Steps to repair half of JPEG missing, grey box in photos or greyed-out Photos
- Download Stellar Phoenix JPEG Repair and connect the storage media to the computer
- On the home screen of software, select Add File option
- Select the files for repair and click Repair
- Save your repaired photos to the desired location
4. Repair half grey JPEG with Command Prompt
Command Prompt fixes minor corruptions in pictures on Windows PC. Try this fix to resolve missing parts in JPEG photos.
Steps to repair with Command Prompt
- Type and search for CMD in Windows Start
- Right click Select Run as Administrator
- Open command prompt, type sfc/scannow and hit Enter
- Once the scan and repair process finishes, restart your PC
View your JPEG pictures again, the problem should be resolved.
5. Repair corrupt JPEG with Hex Editor tools
HxD, Hex Workshop, or Cygnus are Hex Editor programs that are used to change the binary data of corrupt JPEG file. Also known as Byte Editor, this method is for more technically inclined users who have knowledge of ASCII encoding. You can change the data which is in form of 0 and 1. Even a single wrong byte in a JPEG file can cause corruption in the image and make it distorted. Choose Hex Editor to repair JPEG pictures that show grey boxes or display partially, only when you are familiar with binary coding.
6. Open greyed-out JPEG files in Image Editor
Try fixing the issue by opening the half grey JPEG picture in an image editing software like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. Make some minor change and ‘Save As’ the photo to the same location, overwriting the original file. Most of the time this is helpful, as it writes the missing data in the image file, which might be absent in the original JPEG file.
Grey box in photos or greyed-out photos problem can be easily fixed by Stellar Phoenix JPEG Repair software. The ability to repair missing header, invalid data or file structure etc., in JPEG pictures make this software a preferred tool for image editors and other users compared to other options available in the market. Moreover, it is safe, incredibly easy to use, and fixes hundreds of JPEG photos in a few minutes.