Summary: It's very unsettling when your device doesn't mount or recognize the SD Card. This post shows how you can fix the 'SD card unrecognized' error. Learn how you can restore your data with the help of Stellar Photo Recovery.
Your SD card stores lots of valuable information such as photos, videos, audio or even a series of your favorite sitcom, etc. As soon as you insert the SD card into your android phone, you are unable to access the content stored on it. Why? Because the android phone does not recognize or SD card won’t Mount.
To substantiate that your SD card is working fine, you reboot your android phone, keep ejecting and inserting the SD card over and over again, but to no avail. You even connect the SD card to your laptop, and yet it is unable to read the card either.
It might seem that the SD card is damaged but, this can be due to hardware issue as well. Therefore, check whether the card slot/ USB port/card reader is working fine. It could be that:
- The card slot is damaged
- The USB cable is broken; or
- The USB port is not working
Even if the SD card cannot be read using another handset or laptop, then your SD card might be faulty, and you need to replace it with a new one. Problem solved! Right? Actually, the dilemma is how to recover data stored on the SD card.
How to Fix “SD card won’t Mount or Recognized” error on Android Phone?
When you insert the SD card into your android phone, then the phone automatically mounts it; however, your phone might be unable to recognize the SD card. Here’s how you can fix SD card won’t mount error on Android Phone.
Fix 1: Mount your SD card on your Device:
You can format your SD card and make it accessible. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Go to Settings menu on your android phone
- Click Storage and then select Format SD card < Mount SD card
This step may resolve any software issues, and you might be able to access the SD card, but there is a probability that you may lose your data as well.
Fix 2: Disk Management Utility:
Use Disk Management utility to access the SD card on your system. It is used to manage the drives installed in your system like flash drives, internal and external hard drives, and is used to format and partition drives, to assign drive letters, delete partitions, change a driver’s file system, etc.
Your SD card might work, if in case you choose to format or you choose to change the drive letter associated with it.
- Connect the SD card to your system.
- Open Disk Management utility and locate your SD card.
- Right click on the card and select Format. However, to assign a new drive letter, select “change drive letters and paths” and assign a new drive letter to your concerned SD card.
- Re-Insert the SD card into your phone, and it will work.
Note: After formatting, all data on the partition will be lost.
Fix 3: Perform Chkdsk:
- Connect your SD card to your system.
- Open My Computer/This PC and note the driver letter assigned to the SD card.
- Now, run Command Prompt and type in the following command line:
Chkdsk [SD card drive letter]: /r
This will check for any errors associated with the SD card and fix it.
Few steps mentioned above formats the SD card, however, you may lose the data stored on it. If the data is not that important, you can proceed with these steps; else, leveraging a reliable SD card recovery software would serve the purpose
Stellar Photo Recovery is a comprehensive recovery software which assists you in recovering lost photos, videos, and music files.
Some of its salient features are as follows:
- Recovers photos, videos, audios from damaged, corrupt, or inaccessible storage media.
- Recovers lost or deleted HD-MOV, MXF movies, and Adobe EPS files.
- Capable of recovering from internal and external media, USB sticks, Memory cards, etc.
- You can create a sector-by-sector image of the selected media.
- Retrieve deleted photos with their original date, camera model/name, and file name.
Recovery Process with Stellar Photo Recovery:
- Connect your SD to your system and run Stellar Photo Recovery software.
- Select the location from where you want to recover. Click Scan to start the scanning process.
- A dialog box of ‘Scanning Completed Successfully!’ displays the scan results – number of files found and size of the data. In the left-pane of main window, all the recovered data is listed. You can preview them in the right pane. Note: If you do not see the required photos in the list, opt for Deep Scan option at the bottom.
- Click Recover. You can also choose to recover only the selective photos – select photos that you need, right click, and click Recover.
- In the dialog box, specify the location to save the image files. Click Save. All the photos get saved at the specified location Click Save. All the photos get saved at the specified location.
Important: You can select the specific file format and specific region (starting and ending sector) for the scanning process to be faster.
The Process is complete!
To prevent SD card errors, avoid using a single SD card on multiple devices and always follow the prescribed way of insertion and ejection. On top of that, have a backup of your files so that in such circumstances, you can restore them quickly even if you lose your data or face “SD card won’t Mount or Recognized” Error