M4V, a video file container format developed by Apple Inc. for encoding video files in its iTunes store. Its usage is limited to Apple products only (iPhone, iPod, MacBook, iTunes store etc.) to support video files. Due to its great compression and low-bandwidth requirement, it is one of the most popular video container format streaming on the internet.
Generally, the files purchased from iTunes store are protected by using Apple’s FairPlay DRM copy protection aiming to restrict piracy and unauthorized distribution of the files, which means that the protected files cannot be played on non-Apple devices. To play M4V videos, you need to have an authorized iTunes account to purchase the video; however, M4V files can be played on different media players simply by changing the file extension from .m4v to .mp4 if not DRM – protected.
What might corrupt or damage M4V video files?
- Abrupt shutdown of the device.
- Unsupported media player.
- Faulty Codecs.
- Bad segments in the hard drive.
- Compatibility issues (Slow processors, outdated video card drivers).
- Files downloaded from unreliable sources with bad patches.
- Malicious spyware, virus intrusion.
Below are some suggestions that can be followed to fix the corrupt or damaged M4V files:
- Faulty Codecs: Codecs are programs that encode or decode received data for faster transmission and are activated only when a specific multimedia file requests for it to be activated. If the codec is absent or isn’t functioning properly, then the associated multi media file won’t be able to work properly too. Missing codecs will hinder the video file to work properly when you try and open it. Therefore, download and install the correct codec packs.
- Download from a reliable source: If you have downloaded the video file via uTorrent, then the chances are that you haven’t downloaded the reliable or appropriate torrent file. You don’t have to download the file again.
- Update Video Drivers: Not having the latest version of video drivers can also hinder the working of M4V files. Thus, it is advisable to use the updated video drivers and to check for the availability of the latest drivers.
- Memory Upgradation: Consider upgrading the memory system as sometimes, lack of storage results in improper processing and working of the video files. Furthermore, additional memory provides the system with some useful resources or the missing features to smoothly run the M4V files.
If none of the above suggestions works, then you should go for a professional and reliable video repair tool i.e. Stellar Repair for Video . It is one of the most powerful tools to fix corrupt video files.
Whatever be the reason behind corrupt M4V files, Stellar Repair for Video repairs your files so that you can enjoy seamless viewing experience.
Some of its notable features are:
- Repairs video files stored on any storage media such as hard drives, external hard drive, memory cards, etc.
- Repairs multiple video files simultaneously.
- Provides a preview of the repaired files before saving.
- Compatible with both Windows and Mac OS.
- Easy to use Graphical User Interface.
Steps to install the software:
- Download and Install Stellar Repair for Video
- On the main interface, Click “Add file“
- More files can be added to the list by clicking Add File button available below. Once all the files are added enter Repair
- Scanning of video files are in progress with a stop button to discontinue the process
- A message appears with video file successfully repaired. Next, you can Preview the video file in the software
- Save the file to the desired location after a successful recovery.
Now it’s easy to fix corrupt M4V files with Stellar Repair for Video even if other methods don’t work out. In a few simple steps, you can repair corrupt or damaged M4V files with ease; however, even after successfully repairing the corrupt files, there is a likelihood that it can get corrupt again; in all these scenarios, Stellar Repair for Video software easily serves the purpose.
- Keep updated backup of M4V files
- Use updated antivirus
- Make use of proper conversion technique
- Do not play M4V files on unreliable media players
Some of the causes such as corrupt header file, virus intrusion, improper read or write operations, power failure, download issues etc. can corrupt your video files but Stellar Repair for Video software is a reliable option that you can count on in such situations. This is an effective tool as it not only repairs multiple corrupt files effectively but also saves your time.