Entourage email client though discontinued by Microsoft is still what many Mac users use to communicate regularly. But that’s the problem with products that are no longer supported by the developer companies – you can have a real tough time working around nasty errors in such applications especially since there isn’t much help from customer service. This post has been designed to help users who are facing problems with Entourage errors. Herein, we’re shedding light on a particularly obnoxious Entourage error and introducing you to an easy solution.
Well, we will be discussing here to resolve Entourage error 39 – to help some of the users of the application. Do read till the very end to find out about a reliable solution which can eradicate all Entourage errors including the above error for you.
Entourage error 39 – primary causes
When working with Entourage, someday you might come across an unexpected error saying:
ERROR: Failed to open database [Head] ERROR: Corruption opening database [16003:”]
As is pointed out in the error message, the main cause behind this error is a corruption in the Entourage identity database. Trying to work around the error by using the inbuilt Entourage Rebuild utility though recommended can often lead to a more cryptic message that says:
The end of file was reached error -39
This error can occur when you’re trying to send an email or when you’re trying to launch Entourage. However, once it does arise, you won’t be able to continue working on your mailbox without resolving it. The first thing that you should do in case of this error is to stop using your Entourage mailbox and follow the procedure described in the next section.
Manual method to resolve Entourage error 39
Note: These steps will create a new database Identity for your Entourage installation.
Step 1: Exit all applications
Step 2: Hold down the Option key and click the Outlook icon in the dock. This will open the Microsoft Database Utility.
Step 3: Click the plus [+] sign to add a new identity, and then type a name for the new identity.
Step 4: Set the newly created identity as the default. To do this:
- Select the newly created identity
- Click the Action button;
- Select Set as Default
Step 5: Exit the Microsoft Database Utility, and then restart Outlook.
Step 6: Create the rule and see whether the problem is resolved.
Step 7: If this works with the new identity, export the old data as .OLM file and import it into the new Identity.
Once the above procedure has been followed, you shouldn’t face error 39 in Entourage again. However, if it still persists, the corruption in the identity database might be too severe and need more sophisticated repair techniques.
Recommended method to resolve error 39
The most suitable way of dealing with Entourage error 39 is to repair the database file with a reliable and competent product like Stellar Phoenix Entourage Repair. This advanced software uses simple but effective algorithms to repair severely damaged Entourage database files and restore corrupt and inaccessible mailbox items like emails, attachments, calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes, without any data loss. The tool is compatible with every version of Entourage and comes equipped with a fully interactive GUI so it is extremely easy to work with.
Here are the steps to repair Entourage database file with this tool:
- Download, install and launch Stellar Phoenix Entourage Repair
- From the main screen, click on ‘Browse’ to locate and select the Entourage database file to be repaired
- Click on the Play button to initiate the scanning process
- The next screen shows the scanning progress. You may stop the scan at any time using the Stop icon on the scan-progress interface
- Once the scan finishes, a mini log report of the scan results will be displayed on the screen. Click on Close to exit it
- In the software’s left-hand panel you will see a tree-view list of all recoverable items. Click on any item to preview it in the right-hand panel
- When satisfied with preview, select the items you wish to recover and click on the Save button from the menu
- You will be prompted to select a destination folder to save the repaired file. Pick a destination and click on ‘OK’
- When the file has finished saving you’ll get a confirmation message
That should do it.
A few final lines
While it is recommended to stop using discontinued applications, sometimes making the switch simply isn’t worth the time and effort involved. Thus, if you’re using an application like Entourage that doesn’t have support from the vendor and you get stuck, remember that there are applications like Stellar Phoenix Entourage Repair to help you out.