Summary: What would a user do if the QuickBooks file doctor stopped working while fixing QBW file issues? This blog tells the required actions one should take to resolve QuickBooks errors. Also, it suggests an alternative to File Doctor tool to repair a QBW file.
Intuit QuickBooks is a software solution designed to manage inventory, sales, and other financial requirements for small and medium sized businesses. The application includes features like merchant services, product & supplies, training solutions, marketing tools, etc. Each and every solution is developed, based on different industries and their needs. It helps you manage customers, vendors, monitor expenses, track change orders, jobs status, create invoice & reports, and do much more. The software provides many other capabilities in addition.
But sometimes, QuickBooks gets stuck in nasty errors that can prevent users from working on it smoothly. In such cases, Intuit’s File Doctor application can come to QuickBook’s rescue. However, sometimes, this utility itself faces troubles like the ‘File doctor stopped working’ error. Let us explore why this error occurs and what are its solutions.
What is the “File doctor stopped working” error?
QuickBooks File Doctor software is a combination of “QuickBooks 2014 R4” application and other newer versions. The software application is designed by Intuit to provide error repair and fixes for other minor glitches within QuickBooks. There are a few instances where users have encountered issues with the software as it stops working, crashes, hangs, or shows an exception. When such an occurrence happens, the application throws an error which says, “File Doctor is not working”.
Reasons behind this error
Common reasons that make this utility to stop functioning properly at times are:
- You are trying to access the incorporated files.
- Trying to restore files but it is not successful.
- Updating the files.
- The error can reflect when you try to convert the old version of the company files over a network.
- During the installation phase when you miss out on few QuickBooks files.
- The error shows up when the files are damaged, misplaced, and corrupted.
For fixing the issue, you must try and fix the QBW files.
Solutions to resolve this error
Solution 1: Launch QuickBooks file doctor manually
Sometimes, the issue might be as simple as a fault within the launch command receiving end. So try launching the application manually as shown below:
- Launch the application and wait until the system displays ‘No Company Open’ screen.
- Go to File –> Utilities –> ‘Repair File and Network Problems’.
- In the dialog box that appears, click on OK. The QuickBooks file doctor restarts the application with administrator rights.
- On the dialog box that appears, click Yes.
- Click the wrench icon to open the QuickBooks file doctor application, and click Continue.
- Type your user credentials to log into your file. QuickBooks file doctor will now start working on repairing your file.
- From the Advanced Settings options, select ‘File Diagnosis Only’.
- Click Next.
- After the system prompts, open your file and check for issues or Repairs Needed.
If this method doesn’t work to resolve the error, proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2: Restore the backup of the corrupted QBW file
Sometimes when QuickBooks file doctor is launched automatically, it fails, showing up the error. To resolve this, follow the below steps:
- You must initially do a backup for the files that are damaged. The backup helps in replacing the corrupted files with the saved ones.
- You need to open QuickBooks and click on the “File” option, followed by clicking on the “Open or Restore Company” option.
- Now click on the option that states “Click Open or Restore a Backup Copy” and proceed by clicking on the “Next” button.
- Select the option “Local Backup” and click on the “Next” button.
- A drop-down menu will appear on which you must browse and select the backup file location.
- You must select the file that has a “.QBB extension” and then proceed by clicking on “Open” and finally on “Next”.
- A “Save In drop-down” menu will appear from which you have to select the location for restoring the files.
- You must put the name of the file in the name field. A “Save as” field will automatically pop up with the entry of the “*.QBW” file.
- You must press the “Save” button to complete the restoration procedure.
Note: In case the above step does not work, opt for the recovery option using “Auto Data Recovery”.
Solution 3: Use Auto Data Recovery
QuickBooks files are auto-examined by the ADR (Auto Data Recovery) functionality within a couple of hours after their generation. For files working without any error, a backup is stored automatically in the Auto Data Recovery folder. The backup stays stored for 12 hours/24 hours or as long as the QuickBooks application is open.
In case of the error still existing, you can use this option for recovering the files and restoring them back to when they worked fine.
Solution 4: Turn off hosting mode and configure antivirus software
To make sure that File Doctor is running properly on your system, you have to turn off your system’s hosting mode. Then change the Security Firewall level to allow remote connections from your system. To do so, follow the below mentioned steps if you are using McAfee antivirus:
- Open McAfee software and click on ‘Web & Email Protection’.
- Now go to Firewall. Click on Ports and System Services. After that click on the ‘Add’ button.
- Then type eMule under Services Name. In Local TCP/IP ports, type the TCP data for your QuickBooks application.
- Under the Local UDP Port, type the TCP data for your QuickBooks application.
- Under Open ports to, you have to choose All PCs.
- Then finally click on Save button and restart your system.
In case you still face the error, even after configuring antivirus software as required, you can contact the customer executive staff for further help, and they can provide complete resolution on the same.
What to do if all manual solutions fail?
If all the above attempts fail to resolve the “File Doctor is not working” issue, in order to fix QuickBooks errors you can use automated and reliable product Stellar Repair for QuickBooks Software. Backed by powerful scanning and repair algorithms, this software offers a sure-shot solution to the “File doctor stopped working” problem. By quickly scanning and repairing damaged .QBW files and making QuickBooks operational again, it proves to be a worthy alternative to File Doctor.
Software working process:
The repair procedures mentioned above including QuickBooks Repair software fix severe/critical QuickBooks errors, most of the times. The chances of an error occurring depends on the file sizes on the network. There are chances of the software application to crash or hang while the file size on the network is high; however, this can be resolved easily by following the solutions mentioned above. If nothing works, then you need to contact the Intuit support team to get professional help. You can contact them and provide relevant details such as the product version and the issue.