Summary: If you have deleted photos from SD card of your mobile phone or camera, remember that they are not lost permanently. This post shares how you can recover deleted photos from SD card in a few simple steps by using an effective Stellar Photo Recovery Software.
SD cards are commonly used in Android phones, DSLRs, digital cameras and other devices to save photos. But often you tend to delete the SD card photos in haste, realising the blunder later. Sometimes, the photos get deleted due to formatting or virus attack when you connect it to an infected system. Whatsoever the reason, losing your precious photos due to deletion can be quite frustrating.
Common situations that lead to deletion of photos from SD card:
- Accidental deletion of image files from SD card.
- Formatting of SD card in camera, Android phone or computer.
- Virus infection in SD card.
- Continuously clicking photos when SD card is running out of space.
- SD card is over-used in multiple devices and turns corrupt.
Can I recover deleted photos from SD card?
Yes. The good part is, SD card photos are not lost permanently after deletion. You can still restore them with the help of an efficient SD Card recovery software to recover deleted photos from SD card.
What happens to photos stored on SD card when deleted?
Photos deleted from SD cards, SDXC, SDHC, memory stick, and other media continue to exist as long as there are no read/write actions performed.
Overwriting of SD card or memory card permanently wipes off the deleted photos and makes them non-recoverable even by the best of photo recovery technique. Thus, it is advisable to stop using SD card immediately once you realize that you have lost data on the SD card.
How to Recover Deleted Photos from SD Card?
Backup comes as rescue when you want to recover deleted photos from SD card. If you don’t have one, use SD card recovery software. A professional SD card photo recovery tool comes with powerful capabilities and algorithm to trace deleted or missing photos from SD cards. Such tools can also detect failures or dying SD cards that are no longer visible under ‘My Computer’ or appearing as a RAW drive under ‘Disk Management’.
Best photo recovery software for SD card
Stellar Photo Recovery is a great tool that effectively scans the SD card of any capacity and recover deleted photo files with their actual names and date timestamp. It recovers photos from memory cards of DSLRs, camcorders, Android phones, iPhones, action cameras, and drones, etc.
You can restore photos of virtually any format with 3 simple steps — ‘Select’, ‘Scan’, and ‘Recover’. If your deleted image file type is not in the supported formats list, the software has provision to add it by using the Add Header feature. You can recover widely used JPEG as well as uncompressed RAW files from Sony, Canon, Nikon, or Fuji, etc.
Why use Stellar SD card photo recovery software:
- Recovers from formatted, inaccessible & corrupt SD cards
- Recovers from BitLocker encrypted SD card on Windows PC
- Allows customized scanning to deliver quick & exact results.
- Allows saving SD card scan to resume scan later at any convenient time.
Pre-requisites to use SD card photo recovery software:
- A Windows / Mac system to install the software
- USB card reader to connect SD card to computer
- A spare drive, media or location on your hard disk to save the found photos.
Steps to Recover Deleted Photos from SD Card
- Connect SD card to computer via card reader.
- Download Stellar Photo Recovery on your PC/ Mac.
- On home screen of software, select SD card.
- Click ‘Scan’. Once the scanning is completed, you’ll be able to see all the existing as well as deleted files of the drive and its preview on the right side of the window.
- Once the scan process finishes, Preview found photos.
- Click ‘Recover’
- In the dialog box, click ‘Browse’ to select location to save the found photos.
Currently, the software supports up to 5TB of devices. As your SD card is of relatively smaller size, it’ll take minimum turnaround time to scan and restore photos.
Watch this video to recover deleted photos from SD card
Recover photos from Backup
In case you have a backup on Cloud or hard drive, it is much easier to recover from there. An SD card is used for storing your digital photos. However, whenever you take new photos, it is always advisable to create a backup.
You can use Google Drive, iTunes, iCloud, external/ internal hard drive or any other suitable backup option for your SD card.
Whatever way you choose to use, keeping backups is essential to secure your data in Android devices, desktop, laptop, other digital cameras, and mobile devices.
Tips to avoid losing photos from SD cards
- Don’t remove SD card from device while in use.
- Don’t use same SD card on multiple devices.
- Store SD card in dry & cool space at room temperature.
- Stop clicking more photos when the SD card storage is nearly full.
- Install antivirus on your computer.
- Keep multiple backup of your photos.
Deletion is the most common reason for the loss of photos from storage media including SD card. But with professional photo recovery software — Stellar Photo Recovery, you can recover pictures from any type of SD card, whether they were lost due to accidental deletion, formatting, or corruption.