SD Card Read–Write Speed, Error and Recovery
Summary: This blog explains the importance of SD Cards Read-Write speed, errors, and recovery. Go through it to have a better understanding of SD Card and its key elements.
SD Cards, be it Secure Digital Standard-Capacity (SDSC), miniSD, microSD, Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC), miniSDHC, microSDHC, or Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) serve as a great storage device. Out of the several aspects, the Read speed and Write speed are its most important features that determine the speed at which data can be read and written on it.
An Insight: SD Card Read-Write Speed
- Write Speed – One of the most vital specifications of SD Cards is the Write speed. This is because it is the rate at which a digital camera can write data to be it photos or videos on the memory card. If the speed is high, the number of photos that can be written on the card or the shot-to-shot time may increase significantly. The quicker the camera can write data to the card, the quicker the buffer in the camera becomes free and you can start capturing photos and shooting videos again.
- Read Speed – Another vital specification of SD Cards is the Read Speed. This comes into the picture when you wish to view the photos or videos saved on it. It is also important when you need to transfer them to any other computer or device.
An important note – If SD Card is used in the camera, the write speed of the SD card should match the high writing speed of the camera. The reason being, if a camera has a low transfer rate and a high write speed, the SD card will not be of much use. Thus, the low speed of the camera can be a controlling factor.
When buying an SD Card, either for personal or professional use, you must check its read and write speed. Also, you must buy the one that has both high Write Speed and Read speed, depending on your and gadget requirement. This is because high Read and Write Speed enhances the performance of SD Cards. However, you may encounter errors in your SD Card irrespective of the type, manufacturer, or storage capacity.
Errors in Your SD Card
SD Cards are not immune to getting corrupt. Therefore, you can encounter errors with it anytime either due to physical or logical corruption issues. Some of the errors are as follows:
- SD card unexpectedly removed
- The card shows not formatted
- SD card is damaged. Try reformatting it
- Read/Write error on SD card
- A Blank SD card is blank or has an unsupported file system.
Causes – The several reasons for SD card damage are as follows:
- Mishandling by users
- Virus attack or intrusion of malicious code
- Use of same SD Card in different devices
- Improper ejection of the SD card from the respective device
- Closure of camera during reading/write process of SD Card
- Disruption in the process of data transfer
- Corruption issues in the file system
- Dust or oil stain on the surface of SD Cards
- Presence of bad blocks
- Manufacturing defect
What Happens On Encountering Errors with SD Cards?
If you have encounter errors while working with SD Card, it signifies that the SD Card has become damaged or corrupt. This makes your attempt to access the stored data a failure. And, you lose all your life cherishing memories in no time. To this, SD Card Recovery becomes essential.
SD Card Recovery Solution
SD Card Recovery means recovering inaccessible data from corrupt or damaged SD cards. To do so, you can employ a top-notch solution called Stellar Photo Recovery. The software can recover all data, be it a photo or video file saved in any format, and is compatible with both Mac and Windows OS. Also, it makes the process hassle-free and quick through its easy-to-use interface. To use it, you need to download, install, and activate the software through registration key online or offline. Next, follow the steps stated below:
- Connect the SD Card to either your Mac or Windows system depending on the system and software you have.
- Launch the Stellar Photo Recovery (Windows) or Stellar Photo Recovery (Mac).
- Select the SD card from where you want to recover. Click Scan to start the scanning process.
- A dialog box of ‘Scanning Completed Successfully!’ displays the scan results – number of files found and size of the data. In the left pane of the main window, all the recovered data is listed. You can preview them in the right pane.
Note: If you do not see the required photos in the list, opt for the Deep Scan option at the bottom.
- Click Recover. You can also choose to recover only the selective photos – select photos that you need, right-click, and click Recover.
- In the dialog box, specify the location to save the image files. Click Save. All the photos get saved at the specified location Click Save. All the photos get saved at the specified location.
Now that Stellar Photo Recovery software and the steps to run it have been explained for SD Card recovery, you can easily recover the inaccessible files from a corrupt or damaged SD Card. Employ the tool to see the amazing recovery results for yourself.
My Card is continuously asking to format, what should I do?
The issue could be the driver of the computer, Try updating the driver. Or, try accessing the SD card to another PC, this will tell you if the device you were using is defective or not.
What UHS-I SD card would you recommend with a least 65MB/s write speed?
Hi Steve, You could check out the SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Memory Cards. They have a maximum write speed of 90 MB/s.
Great information! This blog helped me to know the reasons or solutions to read and Write Speed enhances the performance of SD Cards. Everyone else had me going on my computer fixing files. It’s so simple to fix. Thanks!
Hi Dave, Thanks for reading our blog and share your valuable feedback with us!
Hi Sumona, I had I upgrade my MacOS and when I plugged SD card to my computer I’m getting “SD card Access Error”? Any help would be appreciated.
Hi Please check the SD card into another computer or tried different SD card reader.
I recently came back from New York photo event and took 1500 photos. I downloaded the pictures via camera to computer and now the computer got corrupt and lost all files. Please help…
Hi Jordan, I suggest after repair your computer you can try our software demo version and see the preview lost or deleted photos. Thanks!
I had that problem on my SanDisk Extreme pro 32 GB micro SD card. Thanks for providing SD card solution to recover corrupt or inaccessible data.
Hi Jaclyn, Thanks for your valuable feedback!
I had an issue with my Nikon D90 camera, Which SD card compatible to this camera. Does anyone have preferred card for maximum performance that best utilize for D90? Any help would be appreciated.
Hi Juana, My suggestion SanDisk Extreme SD memory cards best for D90, which would be fully compatible with your camera.