Storage device failure is nothing new. Especially when it comes to USB Flash Drive, the online forums are full of queries. When it arises, it immediately creates an urge to fix. Indeed, it is a tedious task, but you cannot sideline it. You have to spend several hours on it as it involves your precious data.
7 Ways to fix USB Flash Drive and Recover Files
Way 1: Connect it to a Different Port
Yes, it might sound stupid to some but it is a solution. There might be a scenario that your Port has some issue. So, a simple attempt to plug in the USB Flash Drive to a different port can work like wonder and protect you from doing unnecessary actions.
Way 2: Use Disk Management
Another approach to fix the issue is to use Disk Management. It includes a list of all drives.
- Go to Disk management
- Select Start followed by Create and format hard disk partitions
- From the list, choose the desired USB drive
- Verify whether Partition Status for the drive is healthy or not
Way 3: Repair File Structure
Another reason for USB Flash Drive failure can be file structure damage. Once it is fixed, the problem gets resolved automatically.
- Connect USB Drive with Port
- Go to My Computers followed by Removable Disk Icon
- Right-click on Removable Media (USB Drive) and open its Properties
- Select Tools
- Click Check Now button and Checkmark both (Automatically Fix File System Errors and Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors)
- Click Start to initiate scanning
- Click Close
Way 4: Reinstall the Drivers
At times, the drivers that run flash drive does not work in a defined manner due to corruption. As a result, the system fails to detect your storage device. Thus, reinstalling the drivers is another smart trick.
- Go to My PC
- Click Manage
- Select Device Manager
- Double-Click to open the Disk Drives
- Right-Click on the desired flash drive.
- Hit Uninstall
- Hit Ok
- Disconnect the desired flash drive
- Restart your PC
- Reconnect your flash drive
Way 5: Assign a New Drive Letter to Your Drive
Sometimes the action like changing the drive letter can also work. You have to follow the following steps for it.
- Right-click My Computer
- Select Manage
- Choose Disk Management from Computer Management window
- Select your Drive and right-click on it
- Click on Change Drive Letter and Paths
- Choose Change
- Click Yes
Way 6: Use CMD
It is one of the most well-known methods to fix damaged USB flash drive. This ensures repair without data loss.
- Connect your Drive with System
- Under search bar, type cmd
- Hit Enter
- Right-click cmd. Exe
- Type in either “chkdsk /X /f USB drive letter:” or “chkdsk USB drive letter: /f ” to repair damaged the drive.
- At the end, a message: Windows has made corrections to the file system will pop-up.
Way 7: Fix Damaged/Corrupt USB Flash Drive using Stellar Data Recovery- Standard for Windows
If all the afore-mentioned solutions fail to resolve the issue or have resolved the issue but as a consequence has erased the data, you can try Stellar Data Recovery- Standard. This last resort works like a charm. With hands on this, you can not only fix the issue and recover the data but can also ensure 100% integrity.
If you talk about its functionality, it is quite easy. All thanks to its simple GUI. Steps are:
- Download, Install, Register and launch the software
- Select the type of Data and Location
- Click Scan
- Preview and Recover
If you wish to evaluate its features, functionality, and capability, you can try the free-of-cost Trail version. You have nothing to lose!
Follow this guide to fix damaged or corrupt USB Flash Drive. This curated list has been tried, tested and approved by leading technocrats to resolve this issue. If you think there is any hack missed out, please feel free to reach us through the comments section.