How to Export Apple Mailbox (MBOX) to Windows Outlook?
Summary: In this blog, we’ve explained the procedure to export Apple Mail mailbox data to Outlook for Windows. You’ll find a manual workaround to export mailboxes from Apple Mail to Outlook and an automated way to easily convert Apple Mail’s MBOX file to PST file.
Microsoft Outlook for Windows offers various impressive features that make it a preferred email client for many users. Besides, there are many other reasons that prompt the users to migrate to MS Outlook for Windows from macOS-based Apple Mail. However, it’s not easy to export mailbox data from Apple Mail to MS Outlook. This is because Apple Mail database file (MBOX) is not compatible with MS Outlook, which supports PST file format. Therefore, to export Apple Mail mailbox to MS Outlook, you need to convert the MBOX file to PST format.
Let’s delve deeper into how to export Apple Mail data to MS Outlook for Windows:
Methods to Export Apple Mailbox to MS Outlook for Windows
Before proceeding further, you need to export the Apple Mailboxes to MBOX file format. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open Mail on your Mac and select the required mailboxes.
- Select Mailbox > Export Mailbox
- Create a new folder or pick an existing folder where you want to save the mailbox data, and click Choose.
The mailbox data will be saved in .mbox files in the selected folder. Now copy these .mbox files and transfer them to Windows PC where you want to import them into Outlook.
Method 1 : Export MBOX Files by Using Eudora
Note: This method works for MS Outlook 2010 and 2007 versions only.
Step 1: Transfer Apple Mail File (.mbox) to Eudora
- Install Eudora software on your Windows system and transfer the Apple Mail .mbox file to the system.
- Rename the .mbox file to .mbx file.
- Move the .mbx file to this location:
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora
- Launch Eudora and double-click .mbx file to configure it for Eudora.
- Close Eudora.
Step 2: Import Mailboxes from Eudora into Microsoft Outlook
- Launch Outlook and go to File > Open & Export > Import and Export.
- Select Import Internet Mail and Addresses and click Next.
- Select Eudora (Pro and Light) 2.x, 3.x, 4.x.
- Make sure Import Mail checkbox is selected, and click Next.
Browse for Folder window will open.
- Click Eudora mail folder and click OK to start importing the mailbox.
Limitations of the Manual Method
Though this manual method can export the Apple Mail data to MS Outlook, it however has some limitations:
- It is tedious and time consuming. It requires you to install Eudora and perform a series of steps to execute the export process.
- With so many steps involved, there are chances of errors that may result in loss of mailbox data.
- This method doesn’t work for Outlook 2013, 2016, and 2019.
Method 2 : Use MBOX to PST Converter Tool
To overcome the hassle of manual efforts and to save time, use an automated MBOX to PST converter tool such as Stellar Converter for MBOX for exporting Apple mailbox to Outlook. The software easily converts all Apple Mail items such as mail, journals, drafts, calendar entries, etc. to Outlook importable PST format in a few clicks. You can also export mailbox items selectively by using advanced filters.
Steps to convert MBOX to PST by using the software:
- Download, install and launch the software.
- In Select MBOX window, select Apple Mail in Email Client drop-down list.
- Click Select File or Select Identity and enter the location of the file you want to convert.
- Click Convert to initiate the conversion process.
After the conversion process is completed, list of the mailbox items appears in a tree format on the left pane.
- Click Save Converted File in File menu to save the mailbox in PST format.
- In Save As window that appears, select New PST and click Next.
- When prompted to Choose Destination, click Browse and enter the location where you want to save the PST file.
Note: You can also select Existing PST if you want to save the mailbox data into an existing PST file.
- After the files are saved, the Selected Items Converted and Saved Successfully message box will appear. Click OK.
Now, you can import the converted PST file into your Outlook application by using the Import/Export wizard.
If you want to access your Apple Mail data in Windows Outlook, you have to convert Apple mailbox database (MBOX) to Outlook importable PST format. Since there is no direct way to convert MBOX file to PST, you need to use a reliable MBOX to PST converter such as Stellar Converter for MBOX. This software can convert multiple MBOX files and saves the converted data to a new or existing PST.