Export Outlook for Mac 2016 to Windows Outlook PST
Summary: The blog explains the manual process to export Outlook for Mac 2016 to Windows Outlook PST. It also outlines how you can easily and quickly convert Outlook for Mac data file (.olm) to Outlook data file (.pst) by using an OLM converter.
When working with Outlook on Mac, you may require to export its data to Windows Outlook PST file format. This may happen in any of the following situations:
- Your users need to access OLM files on Outlook for Windows client.
- You need to move data from Mac to Windows PC.
However, Microsoft Outlook for Windows does not support the Outlook for Mac data file (.olm). There is a manual way following which you can export OLM to PST.
How to Export Outlook for Mac to PST Manually?
IMPORTANT NOTE: The manual process involves a lot of steps and can be time-consuming. But, if you urgently need to export OLM to PST file format, skip to the next section to learn how you can quickly perform OLM to PST conversion by using Stellar Converter for OLM. Else, you can directly download the software below.
You can export Outlook 2016 MAC to PST manually by following these steps:
NOTE: In Outlook for Mac 2016, email messages, contacts, calendar and other items can be exported to archive file.
Step 1 – Export Outlook OLM File
NOTE: This is an OPTIONAL step and helps backup OLM file. You can skip this step and directly proceed with the next step to export Outlook for MAC data to PST.
- Open Outlook in your Mac system, from the Tools tab, click Export.
2. In Export to Archive File (.olm) window, select the items you want to export, and then click Continue.
3. In the dialog box that appears, under ‘Save archive file (.olm) as:’ specify the name of the file and location where you want to save it.
4. After Outlook finishes exporting the selected data, click Finish.
The selected items in the OLM file will be saved as an archive .olm file at the desired location.
Step 2 – Set up Gmail in Outlook for Mac
NOTE: Before proceeding with this step, make sure you have a Gmail account with IMAP setting enabled.
1. Open Outlook for Mac application, click Outlook > Preferences.
2. In Outlook Preferences window, choose Accounts under Personal Settings.
3. In Accounts window, click the plus (+) sign in the lower left corner (as shown in the image below). Select E-mail from the drop-down menu.
4. When prompted, enter your Gmail account information, and then click Add Account.
5. The Gmail account will be added to your Outlook account.
Step 3 – Move Outlook for MAC data to Gmail
- In Outlook 2016 for Mac, right-click the newly added Gmail folder, and select New Folder.
2. Rename the folder, and then click File > Import.
3. Next, click the mailbox folder you want to export.Right click the items from the selected folder, and choose Move > Choose Folder.
4. Right click the items from the selected folder, and choose Move > Choose Folder
5. Find the Gmail folder, and click Copy.
All your OLM file data will get added in the new Gmail folder.
Stage 4 – Export OLM Data from Gmail to Outlook PST
1. Open your Windows Outlook application, and configure the same Gmail account you have set up in Outlook for Mac.
2. Choose File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
3. From Import and Export Wizard, choose Export to a File.
4. Select Outlook Data File (.pst), and then click Next.
5. In Export Outlook Data File window, select the Gmail folder that contains OLM file data, and hit Next
6. Choose the location of your Outlook data file (.pst), and click Finish.
Your OLM file data will now get exported to PST file.
Limitations of Manual Process
While the above mentioned manual process can help you export Outlook 2016 for Mac data to Windows Outlook PST, it has a few limitations:
- Require Gmail configuration.
- It is lengthy and time-consuming.
- It may require technical assistance.
- It may result in data inconsistency
How to Overcome the Limitations of Manual Process?
You can overcome the limitations associated with the manual method by using a specialized OLM to PST converter such as Stellar Converter for OLM software. Here’s how:
- You don’t need to configure a Gmail account.
- The software quickly converts all of the OLM file data to PST in 3 simple steps: ‘Select OLM file’, ‘Convert’, and ‘Preview & Save’.
- The software’s user interface can be operated by any user without technical assistance.
- The OLM converter converts OLM to PST, while keeping the mailbox data intact.
Most Mac users face difficulties in moving from Outlook for Mac to Windows Outlook and now that you have understood the difference between the manual method and the software tool, you can easily reach the conclusion that Outlook 2016 Mac OLM file can be easily exported to PST and it’s equally easy to import data with Stellar Converter for OLM.