Fix can’t send or receive messages with Outlook for Mac Issues
Summary: If Microsoft Outlook stops sending and receiving emails, the solution might be as simple as to check the settings and make changes. However, it could also be something more complicated than just a setting issue. Here are a few quick fixes and troubleshooting for your Outlook for Mac message sending and receiving problems.
Microsoft Outlook is one of the most preferable Mail alternatives for Mac users. This third-party email client helps you manage everything like, emails, contacts, tasks, calendar, and events seamlessly like a pro. Microsoft Outlook application uses either IMAP/POP3 or SMTP protocols to send and receive email messages. However, Outlook for Mac app requires so many other things to sync perfectly in order to work seamlessly with an email account. There are numerous other factors that can disrupt the normal working procedure of Outlook for Mac.
These interruptions can cause problems for the users like, Outlook for Mac not sending or receiving emails. If this issue arises, the user is required to identify the cause before using a troubleshooting technique to resolve the problem. Thus, in this post, we are trying to compile some most likely causes that can interrupt Outlook for Mac from sending or receiving emails, along with troubleshooting techniques to fix Outlook for Mac.
Tips to Troubleshoot Sending or Receiving Emails on Outlook for Mac
There are different reasons due to which Outlook for Mac is not sending or receiving emails; it can be an issue with the settings or wrong credentials, etc. We are going to discuss these issues subsequently, with their resolution.
Reason 1: Outlook for Mac is in Offline Mode
In case, your Outlook for Mac is in offline mode, you cannot send or receive email messages. Hence, you are required to ensure that your Outlook is online.
Resolution: To resolve the issue, you need to click on the Outlook tab and verify that Work Offline option is unchecked.
Reason 2. Items from the Exchange Account are saved in Outlook cache
If cache gets corrupted, then it is more likely to be a synchronization issue with Exchange server. This issue can interrupt and sometime stop the smooth running of Outlook for Mac completely. In this case, you are required to remove cache to troubleshoot Outlook for Mac.
Resolution: Remove Outlook cache in order to download all data items from the Microsoft Exchange account once again to Outlook for Mac. Here are a few steps given below to remove Outlook cache and download data again:
- Verify that your PC is connected to Exchange Server.
- In the navigation pane, press the CTRL button and hit a right-click on Exchange folder from which you want to remove the cache, and click on Properties.
- From the General tab, hit Empty Cache button.
- As soon as cache is empty, Outlook for Mac will automatically start downloading the data items from the Exchange server.
Note: The guidelines given above will delete all the information that is not synchronized with Exchange server, including the contacts’ mail certificate. Removing cache replaces the contents of a folder with the most recent data items from MS Exchange server. Thus, before deleting the cache, make sure that your Mac Outlook data is backed up.
Reason 3. Outlook is not linked with Server running Exchange Server
To check the Microsoft Exchange server connection, follow the mentioned steps given below:
- In your Mac Outlook application, click on the Tools tab and select Accounts to fix Outlook for Mac not sending or receiving messages.
- Navigate to Exchange account that is situated in the left-side of the pane. In case, if there is an issue with the connection, the indicator icon will become orange in color.
- If you are connected to the account successfully before, just try to connect with it from any other Exchange application, like Outlook on the web.
- Also, one can check the Exchange Server via connecting the Exchange Server administrator.
You may also like Fix Import Export option grayed-out issue in the Microsoft Outlook for Mac.
Reason 4. POP and IMAP Accounts Requires Authentication
POP and IMAP accounts are utilizing the outgoing mail (SMTP) server, which requires authentication.
Resolution: Few email services require the authentication for SMTP server. If you are sure that all your account settings are accurate, but you still cannot send emails, then try to turn on the SMTP authentication.
- Go to the Tools tab and click on Accounts.
- In the left side of the Accounts wizard, choose the Account.
- From the Outgoing Server section, click on More Options.
- Then, from the pop-up menu, choose the type of authentication and then enter the credentials.
Reason 5. The ISP or Network Firewall Blocks Connections to SMTP Server
You need to remember, the ISP or network has a firewall that blocks connections to your email service’s outgoing mail (SMTP) server.
Resolution: Check that if your ISP/ network admin can give an optional SMTP server to use for the POP or IMAP account.
- In case, if you already have the address of an alternate SMTP server, then enter it in the account.
- Click on the Tools tab and select Accounts.
- Then, from the left-side of Accounts wizard, choose the account.
- In Outgoing Server box, enter server name or address.
Note: If you are using a laptop in various locations, then the SMTP server you are using in one location probably will not work in other locations. Every Internet connection you use might have a firewall with its own restrictions.
Reason 6. Account Settings or Credentials are Incorrect
To make your Outlook for Mac work properly, you are required to fill accurate information regarding your credentials. If there is an issue with account settings, then you will face trouble in managing your Outlook for Mac.
Resolution: Make sure that the username, password, and all other settings are accurate in the account preferences section. We have mentioned a few steps to quickly fix Outlook for Mac:
- From the Tools tab, select Accounts option.
- Then, click the left-side of the Accounts box, and select the account.
- Make sure that you have entered the right username, password, and email address.
- If your account still does not work properly, contact your email service provider for more details about how to configure the account in Mac Outlook application. Your account may also require few special settings like SSL (Secure Socket Layer) to connect, or that you override the default port.
When Outlook for Mac is interrupted or stops sending/receiving emails then, it becomes troublesome for users. In this blog, we have discussed how you can resolve this issue. It is noted that most of the problems users come across in Outlook for Mac is related to wrong or expired password, incorrect details, and wrong connection settings, or sometimes, due to application’s misdemeanor.
We have addressed “can’t send or receive messages with Outlook for Mac Issues” in the above blog. Users who need to convert from Mac to Windows Outlook can use the automated OLM to PST Converter tool, i.e., Stellar Converter for OLM, to make the transition as effortless as possible.
If, no solution given above works for you, then try Stellar Converter for OLM, which is an automated solution to convert OLM files to PST format. This Mac OLM converter can export all mails, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes, etc., and convert Mac OLM files to multiple file formats. It is one of the most advanced OLM to PST converter available, offering 100% precision while maintaining mailbox integrity after conversion.