If you are running a business, much of your professional life would be depending on QuickBooks Pro 2011 or its other versions. QuickBooks is quite a versatile application that organizes your expenses, monitors your cash flow, builds invoices, and keeps you tax compliant. And it doesn’t end there; the application has a separate set of features catered especially to freelancers that help them focus on their work without worrying about managing transactions. Today, most of the business houses or professionals around the world, are using QuickBooks to take care of their financials.
But keeping all this glory apart, QuickBooks too is an application at the end of the day and is prone to the threats/errors as other software applications. It can get caught up in messy errors that can often get too tough to handle. Take the case of the QuickBooks Unrecoverable error 2010 / 2014 for example. Many users of this otherwise user-friendly software have been left baffled by the QuickBooks 2014 unrecoverable error. The application displays the following error before crashing:
Figure: Unrecoverable Error
Where XXX is one of 50 randomly-generated error codes
What should a user do when QuickBooks throws this error while attempting to open a file? Let us go through a few options that will help either avoid the problem or fix it.
Common ways to resolve the error
Stop QuickBooks from opening all windows at start-up
One of the most tried-and-tested methods of avoiding this problem is to stop the application from opening all windows at start-up:
- Press the Alt key while double-clicking QuickBooks application icon.
- When the system displays the prompt for the user password, release the Alt key and type in your password.
- Click OK, and when the application launches, press the Alt key again.
- Release the Alt
Note: When the application launches, remember to close all windows or simply click ‘Close all windows’ from within the application before exiting.
Open a sample file
If you are still unable to open your company file without facing the error, try opening a sample file as follows:
- Press the Ctrl key while double-clicking QuickBooks application icon.
- Continue pressing the Ctrl key till the application displays the ‘No Company Open’
- Click ‘Open a sample file’.
- Select one of the sample files and open it.
Note: If the application prompts you to initiate a restore/update operation, click on ‘OK’. If the sample file opens without any error, the company file that is throwing the error might be damaged or corrupted.
Copy the company file to your Desktop
Changing the location of the company file you wish to open is also an option you could try. The reason why this solution works is the limitation on the storage path of the file. Perform the following steps to change the location of your QuickBooks file:
- Open the folder in which your company file is located and use the Locate option to find the QBW file.
- Copy and Paste the file on Desktop.
- Launch QuickBooks while pressing the Ctrl key till the application displays the ‘No Company Open’
- Click on Open, browse to the file you copied on Desktop and click Open.
Note: If this doesn’t work, the QuickBooks company file may be damaged.
Use Auto Data Recovery
Restore the company file using the Auto Data Recovery option.
Troubleshoot the QuickBooks application
If all the above options fail, try troubleshooting the QuickBooks application.
- Run Reboot.exe to re-register QuickBooks objects in Windows.
- Manually repair the Microsoft.NET file framework installed on your system.
- Perform a clean re-install for QuickBooks.
- Run the QuickBooks Component Repair Tool to repair all your damaged files and components.
The QuickBooks 2012 R14 service pack allows you to fix all unrecoverable file errors. To update your QuickBooks installation with this service pack, perform the following steps:
- Press the Ctrl key while opening QuickBooks.
- Click Help –> Update QuickBooks.
- On the ‘Update QuickBooks’ screen, click Update Now.
- Select the New Features
- Click Get Updates.
- After the update is complete, exit the application.
Using Stellar QuickBooks® Repair Software
If none of the above methods is able to resolve the error, it is indicative of the fact that your QuickBooks company file has been severely damaged/corrupted. To repair it and extract all vital data from it, you’ll need a professional QuickBooks repair software.
In our opinion, Stellar Repair for QuickBooks Software is an extremely competent product to accomplish this task. The tool repairs severely damaged or corrupted QuickBooks data files (QBW) without hampering the file components. Further, it recovers all information of Customers, Company, Vendors, and Employees saved in QBW files.
- If you are facing this issue frequently then, try to reboot your computer.
- If problems occur while working on other than most recent release update, consider the latest QuickBooks version.
- Issue in the hosting environment could also be the reason.
One of the above-mentioned fixes should surely eliminate the QuickBooks unrecoverable error. However, if you’re still facing it, you might want to try reaching out to the QuickBooks support team to offer further help.