Summary: Apple has changed the way to put iPhone to DFU or Recovery Mode with the release of iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and its other variants. If you want to put your iPhone 12 into DFU or Recovery mode, read this post. It shares a step-by-step process of how to enter and exit Recovery Mode and DFU mode on iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max.
When you run out of solutions to troubleshoot iPhone 12, Recovery Mode or DFU Mode comes as a rescue. Whether iPhone stops booting or fails to restore, you can use the functions in iPhone and fix the issue.
But the method to bring iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro Max, or iPhone 12 Pro in DFU or Recovery Mode is different from the previous iPhone models.
This post will guide you on how to enter and exit Recovery and DFU Modes in iPhone 12 and its variants. But first, understand what these functions in iPhone are and how are they useful.
What is Recovery Mode and its use?
Recovery Mode uses iBoot to upgrade or restore your iPhone. iBoot is a bootloader program for iOS devices. Recovery Mode helps to install the same or above iOS firmware version that’s already on your iPhone. The iPhone screen in Recovery Mode prompts to connect iPhone to iTunes showing a computer image.
What is DFU Mode and its use?
Device Firmware Update or DFU mode lets your iPhone to connect with iTunes on computer without iBoot. As DFU mode doesn’t use iBoot, you can make changes in the operating system of the iOS device. An iPhone in DFU mode has completely black screen.
Putting iPhone into DFU mode is the solution when Recovery Mode doesn’t resolve the problem. DFU mode can restore or upgrade iPhone. This mode is also commonly used to downgrade or jailbreak iPhone.
Caution — you may lose all your iPhone data!
If you are entering DFU mode, make sure to back up your iPhone data. DFU mode permanently erases iPhone data. So always back up your videos, photos, messages, chats, Notes, etc., either to iCloud or iTunes.
However, if you have lost iPhone data and don’t have backup, then immediately download iPhone data recovery software — Stellar Data Recovery for iPhone. The software helps to restore lost or deleted iPhone contacts, call logs, photos, videos, text, FaceTime, audio, chats, Calendar, Notes, Safari bookmarks, etc. It is quick to recover and extremely user-friendly.
What is required to perform Recovery and DFU modes in iPhone 12 and variants?
- Windows laptop or Mac system
- Lightning to USB cable
- iTunes updated to the latest version on your computer
- On iPhone, you will use the 2 volume buttons (‘Volume up’ and ‘Volume down’) on left and a ‘Side’ button on the right
How to put iPhone 12 into Recovery Mode
Follow the below steps to enter Recovery Mode on iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max:
- Update iTunes to the latest version.
- Connect your iPhone to PC or Mac via Lightning to USB cable. Note: If you are connecting your iPhone to computer for the first time, then click on ‘Trust’ in the Trust This Computer’ dialog box and follow the prompts.
- Once your iPhone is paired with the computer, press Volume up button followed by the Volume down button and release.
- Press and continue to hold the Side button until you see ‘Connect to computer’ screen on iPhone. While on your computer, you would see the iPhone Recovery Mode message in iTunes, confirming that your iPhone has entered into Recovery Mode. The computer asks you to either Update or Restore iPhone. Click on any based on your requirement.
If you choose Update: iTunes will update your iPhone 12 to the latest iOS release. This won’t lead to any loss of data.
If you select Restore: It will erase iPhone data completely and renew your entire iPhone.
How to exit Recovery Mode on iPhone 12
It’s easy to exit Recovery Mode on iPhone 12, or iPhone 12 Pro and above. Simply follow the below steps:
- Disconnect your iPhone from computer.
- Press and hold the Side button until your iPhone automatically reboots to ‘Lock’ screen.
How to put iPhone 12 into DFU mode
Follow the below steps to enter DFU Mode on iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 mini, and iPhone 12 Pro Max:
- Connect iPhone to PC or Mac via USB cable. Note: If the ‘Trust This Computer’ dialog box appears, follow the prompts.
- Once your iPhone is paired with computer, press Volume up button, then Volume down button and release.
- Quickly press and hold the Side button for about 5 seconds.
- Along with the Side button, press and hold the Volume down button.
- Release the Side button and continue to hold the Volume down button for about 10 seconds.
- Once you see the ‘Recovery Mode’ screen in iTunes on your computer, you have successfully entered the DFU mode. The iPhone screen remains black in DFU Mode.
Note: If you see the Apple logo on iPhone, try again and repeat the above steps carefully.
How to exit DFU Mode on iPhone 12
If you want to exit DFU Mode on iPhone 12 and its variants, follow the below steps:
- Press the Volume Up button and quickly release.
- Press the Volume Down button and quickly release.
- Now, press and hold the Side button until Apple logo appears on iPhone. This indicates your iPhone has exited DFU Mode. In a few seconds, your iPhone would boot to the ‘Lock’ screen. Now, simply enter your passcode and continue to use your iPhone.
Whenever your iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and other variants show problems like being stuck at Apple logo, won’t upgrade, restore, or respond, you can use Recovery Mode and DFU Mode functions to resolve the problem. But don’t forget to back up your iPhone data before using these functions.
However, in any unfortunate incident of data loss while performing the functions, trust Stellar Data Recovery for iPhone – a software that brings back lost data on your iPhone secure