How to Put iPhone or iPad on Recovery mode? (Step by Step Tutorial)
Summary: DFU or Recovery mode is a way to recover your iPhone or iPad using a computer in case of technical issues. Read this post for a step-by-step process of how to enter and exit Recovery Mode and DFU mode on iPhone.
When you run out of solutions to troubleshoot your iPhone, Recovery Mode or DFU Mode comes as a rescue. Whether iPhone stops booting or fails to restore, you can use the functions in iPhone and fix the issue.
But the method to bring an iPhone in DFU or Recovery Mode varies in each iPhone model and iPad.
This post will guide you on how to enter and exit Recovery and DFU Modes in different iPhone and iPad variants. But first, understand what these iPhone functions are and their uses.
What is Recovery Mode and its use?
Recovery Mode uses iBoot to upgrade or restore your iPhone. iBoot is a bootloader program for iOS devices. Recovery Mode helps install the same or above iOS firmware version already on your iPhone. The iPhone screen in Recovery Mode prompts to connect iPhone to iTunes, showing a computer image.
What is DFU Mode and its use?
Device Firmware Update or DFU mode lets your iPhone connect with iTunes on the computer without iBoot. As DFU mode doesn’t use iBoot, you can make changes in the operating system of the iOS device. An iPhone in DFU mode has a completely black screen.
Putting iPhone into DFU mode is the solution when Recovery Mode doesn’t resolve the problem. DFU mode can restore or upgrade iPhone. This mode is also commonly used to downgrade or jailbreak iPhones.
Caution — you may lose all your iPhone data!
If you are entering DFU mode, make sure to back up your iPhone data. DFU mode permanently erases iPhone data. So always back up your videos, photos, messages, chats, Notes, etc., either to iCloud or iTunes.
However, if you have lost iPhone data and don’t have a backup, then immediately download iPhone data recovery software — Stellar Data Recovery for iPhone. The software helps to restore lost or deleted iPhone contacts, call logs, photos, videos, text, FaceTime, audio, chats, Calendar, Notes, Safari bookmarks, etc. It is quick to recover and extremely user-friendly.
What is required to perform Recovery and DFU modes in iPhone?
- Windows or Mac system.
- Lightning to USB cable.
- iTunes updated to the latest version on your computer.
How to put iPhone 6 and earlier versions in Recovery Mode
Follow the below steps to enter Recovery Mode on iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, and iPhone 4.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC using USB Lightning Cable and launch iTunes.
- Press and hold down the Home and Power button to turn the iPhone.
- Then connect the USB cable to iPhone and turn it on by holding the Home button.
- Continue to hold the Home button until a pop-up appears informing ‘an iPhone has been detected in recovery mode’ on your system.
- In Recovery mode, you can either restore the iPhone, set it up as new, or just recover your backups.
How to put iPhone 7 in Recovery Mode
It’s easy to enter Recovery Mode on iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus. Follow the below steps:
- Turn off your iPhone 7 and connect it to your Mac or Windows computer.
- Ensure iTunes or Finder is running on the system.
- Press and hold the Power and Volume down button for 10 seconds.
- While continuing to hold the Volume down button, release the Power button.
- Release the button if you see the iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode message on your system.
How to put iPhone 8 in Recovery Mode
If you want to enter the Recovery Mode on iPhone 8 and its variants, follow the below steps:
- Connect your iPhone 8 to your Mac or Windows system with a USB cable.
- Next, press and release the following buttons in a sequence Volume Up button, Volume Down, and Side button until your device reboots. Continue holding the Side button, even after seeing the Apple logo appear.
- Release the Side button once the Connect to iTunes logo appears on the iPhone’s display.
- Launch iTunes, and you should see a message stating, “There is a problem with the iPhone that requires it to be updated or restored.” You can choose to Update or Restore your iPhone’s software.
How to put iPhone 11 into Recovery Mode
To enter Recovery Mode on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max, follow these steps:
- Connect your iPhone with your Mac or PC and launch iTunes.
- Force restart your iPhone with the following steps:
- Press and release the Volume Up button.
- Press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side button.
- Make sure to release these buttons if you see the recovery mode screen with the “Connect to iTunes” screen.
- Then choose your iPhone in iTunes, and you will see a pop-up saying that your iPhone is in Recovery Mode. Here, you can either update or restore your iPhone.
How to put iPhone 12 into Recovery Mode
Follow the below steps to enter Recovery Mode on iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max:
- Update iTunes to the latest version.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac via Lightning to a USB cable.
- Note: If you are connecting your iPhone to the computer for the first time, click on ‘Trust’ in the Trust This Computer dialog box and follow the prompts.
- Once your iPhone is paired with the computer, press the Volume up button followed by the Volume down button and release.
- Press and continue to hold the Side button until you see the ‘Connect to computer’ screen on your iPhone. While on your computer, you would see the iPhone Recovery Mode message in iTunes, confirming that your iPhone has entered into Recovery Mode. The computer asks you to either Update or Restore your iPhone. Click on any based on your requirement.
If you choose Update, iTunes will update your iPhone 12 to the latest iOS release. This won’t lead to any loss of data.
If you select Restore: It will erase iPhone data completely and renew your entire iPhone.
How to put Recovery Mode on iPhone 13
Entering Recovery Mode on iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro has the same steps as iPhone 12. To enter the Recovery Mode, connect your iPhone to your computer and do the following steps in quick succession.
- Press the Volume up button and release.
- Press the Volume down button and release.
- Press and continue to hold the side button until the ‘Connect to iTunes’ screen appears on iPhone.
How to put Recovery Mode on iPhone 14
To use recovery mode on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro, follows these steps:
- Connect your iPhone to your system with a Lightning cable.
- Now on iPhone, press and quickly release the Volume up, Volume down, and side buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
- Select your iPhone in the Finder/iTunes window and choose to update or restore your iPhone.
How to exit Recovery Mode on iPhone
It’s easy to exit Recovery Mode on iPhone. Follow the below steps:
- Hold the Home button and Lock button to exit DFU mode on iPhone 6 and earlier versions until your device reboots.
- To exit DFU mode on iPhone 7/7 Plus, hold the Side and Volume Down buttons until the device reboots.
- To exit the Recovery Mode on iPhone 8 or later version, press and hold the Side button until the “Connect to iTunes” screen disappears, and then iPhone should reboot back into iOS.
How to put Recovery Mode on iPad
To enter Recovery Mode on the iPad, follow these steps:
- Connect your iPad to Windows or Mac system using a USB cable.
- For iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the Home button and the Top/Side button until your iPad enters recovery mode.
- For iPad without a Home button: Quickly press and release the Volume Up button, Volume Down button, and the Top button. Keep holding the Top button until the iPad enters recovery mode.
How to put iPhone into DFU mode ?
Follow the below steps to enter DFU Mode on iPhone and its various version:
- Connect iPhone to PC or Mac via USB cable. Note: If the ‘Trust This Computer’ dialog box appears, follow the prompts.
- Once your iPhone is paired with a computer, follow these steps:
How to Enter DFU Mode on an iPhone 8 and later versions
- Press the Volume up button, then Volume down button, and release.
- Quickly press and hold the Side button for about 5 seconds.
- Along with the Side button, press and hold the Volume down button.
- Release the Side button and continue to hold the Volume down button for about 10 seconds.
- Once you see the ‘Recovery Mode’ screen in iTunes on your computer, you have successfully entered the DFU mode. However, the iPhone screen remains black in DFU Mode.
How to Enter DFU Mode on an iPhone 7
- Press and hold the Power and the Volume down buttons for 8–10 seconds.
- Release the Power button and continue to hold the Volume down button.
- Release the Volume down button once your iPhone has entered recovery mode.
How to Enter DFU Mode on an iPhone 6S or Earlier Versions
- Press and hold the Power/Sleep and Home buttons together for 10 seconds.
- Release the Power/Sleep button, but continue holding the Home button.
- Release the Home button once you see iTunes/Finder has detected an iPhone in recovery mode message.
Note: If you see the Apple logo on your iPhone, try again and repeat the above steps carefully.
How to exit DFU Mode on iPhone ?
If you want to exit DFU Mode on iPhone and its variants, follow the below steps:
How to Exit DFU Mode on an iPhone 8 or Later versions
- Press the Volume Up button and quickly release.
- Press the Volume Down button and quickly release.
- Now, press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears on iPhone. This indicates your iPhone has exited DFU Mode. Your iPhone would boot to the ‘Lock’ screen in a few seconds. Now, enter your passcode and continue to use your iPhone.
How to Exit DFU Mode on an iPhone 7
Press and hold the Power or Sleep button and the Volume down button until you see the Apple Logo.
How to Exit DFU Mode on iPhone 6 or Earlier versions
Hold the Home button and the Power button of the iPhone simultaneously until Apple’s logo appears on the screen.
Whenever your iPhone and its variants show problems like being stuck at the Apple logo, won’t upgrade, restore, or respond, you can use Recovery Mode and DFU Mode functions to resolve the problem. But don’t forget to back up your iPhone data before using these functions.
However, in any unfortunate incident of data loss while performing the functions, trust Stellar Data Recovery for iPhone – a software that brings back lost data on your iPhone securely.
If you use DFU mode to install something or restore your device, all your iPhone’s data will be erased.
An iPhone is disabled when a user enters an incorrect password too many times on the lock screen. You should be able to enter the recovery mode using the same steps mentioned above and restore your iPhone to regain access.
A computer is not necessary to enter the recovery mode on an iPhone. You only need to press the right buttons, depending on your iPhone model, to enter the recovery mode. However, to restore your iPhone – you will need a computer.