Summary: The Blog highlights the importance of SmartMedia Cards in storing and transferring data and describes the scenarios that lead to Photo or Video loss. It also explains the steps for SmartMedia card recovery using an efficient photo-video recovery application.
SmartMedia Cards, developed by Toshiba are originally known as solid-state floppy disk card (SSFDC) that uses flash memory for storing data. With the ability to support a number of devices, it makes data portable and transferable among various smart gadgets and systems. Available in different storage capacities, SmartMedia Cards allow saving a considerable amount of data, and that too, within a very affordable range.
A major advantage offered by SSFDC cards is that it read, write, or erase data in smaller segments or blocks, say 256 or 512 bytes at a single instance; hence, selection over what data has to be saved becomes quite easier.
On the contrary, one major drawback is that the SmartMedia Cards are too sensitive to corruption; therefore, inappropriate handling can lead to loss of data. Let’s now examine some of the common data loss scenarios and ways for corrupt or damaged memory card recovery.
Common Photo or Video Loss Scenarios
Sometimes there are instances that lead to photo or video loss from SmartMedia or SSFDC cards. If you find yourself trapped in any of the following situations, all you need to do is look forward to SmartMedia card recovery using reliable photo recovery method.
- Ignoring errors messages such as memory card full can cause card damage and data corruption
- Pulling the memory card inappropriately out of smartphone, digital camera and other smart devices
- Ejecting SmartMedia card out of the device when read/ write operation is in process or without following appropriate eject procedure
- When pictures are captured quickly without waiting for them to be written completely on the card also results in card corruption
- Inserting single SmartMedia card in multiple devices such as cameras, smartphones, tablets or other similar devices
- Accidental card formatting or deletion of images and other multimedia contents while transferring pictures to other device or computer.
What to do in case of Data Failure?
It all depends on the intensity of corruption as that decides what recovery methods to employ. If the data loss is minimal, the lost components can be recovered using built-in data recovery strategies. You can even run Chkdsk for detecting the cause behind SmartMedia corruption. Read more on Corrupt SD memory card recovery
However, in case of higher level corruption, the integrated photo recovery functions and utilities fail to recover lost photos and videos and hence, you will need to utilize a third party professional Photo Recovery Software.
Why Third-Party Photo Recovery Software?
The importance of professional photo recovery applications can only be determined when all other data recovery methods fail to recover data. Since integrated or built-in recovery methods offer limited functions, the professional tools provides extensive features to retrieve every single bit of lost or deleted data from SmartMedia Card and other data storage media.
Now recover your lost images and other multimedia components from SSFDC or SmartMedia Cards and all internal and external storage media with Stellar Photo Recovery software. It supports NTFS, ExFAT and FAT32 storage devices for recovery of lost photos or videos.
With the help of photo recovery application, you can perform rapid recovery as it allows recovering specific files and does not demand scanning the entire media to recover all incorporated data. This helps execute the recovery procedure quite efficiently, and the user can recover important files first.
Steps to SmartMedia Card Recovery
Let’s take a look at the functional criteria of the tool to understand it in a more detailed manner. Before initiating the photo recovery procedure, it is mandatory to connect the SmartMedia Card to the computer using a card reader
- Download, install and launch Stellar Photo Recovery.
- Select the drive or storage media to scan and recover from and click Scan.
- You can choose to customize the recovery process through Advanced Settings icon on top. You can select a specific file type, add new file type or edit Header to scan for exact results.
- A dialog box of ‘Scanning Completed Successfully!’ appears. In the left-pane of main window, all the found files and folders are listed. The bottom-right pane lists the files stored in the selected folder. Select a file and preview in the right pane.
- If the required photos, videos or audio files are not in the list, opt for Deep Scan at the bottom and click Recover. Select appropriate files that need to be recovered and then click on Recover. In the dialog box, specify the location to save the media files and click Save.
- With this, the photo or video recovery procedure is completed; you can then navigate to the provided storage location to check the recovered data contents.
The Bottom Line
Although, third-party photo recovery applications are an efficient way to recover lost or deleted photos or videos, yet it is always recommended to back up data following a strict backup strategy so that it can be restored instantly in case of data failure or corrupt device.