Summary: Outlook is a cross-platform email software that runs on both Windows and Mac OS. However, you can’t view OLM file (Mac Outlook) in Windows Outlook directly and need to convert it to PST first. In this post, we have provided stepwise instructions (manual method) for this conversion. We have also provided an advanced OLM to PST converter software to automate this conversion.
Microsoft Outlook is a top-rated email client application used by many individuals and organizations. It’s available for both Windows and Mac systems. While the UI, functions, and experience are the same in both versions of the application, there are some differences.
For instance, In Outlook 2011 and 2016 for Mac, the mailbox is exported in OLM format. In Windows Outlook, the mailbox is exported in PST file format. So, to view OLM file in Windows, you need to convert OLM to PST. There are two ways to perform this conversion- manual and automated. Below, we have explained both of these. But before we get to that, you need to know the OLM file’s location.
What’s the OLM file location?
The OLM file location depends on your Outlook for Mac version:
Outlook 2011 for Mac-
/Users/<username>/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/Main Identity
Outlook 2016 for Mac-
/Users/<username>/Library/GroupContainers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile
How to View OLM File in Windows Manually?
You can view Outlook OLM file in Windows Outlook by using a dummy Gmail account. You can send your OLM emails to the Gmail account and sync the Gmail emails with Windows Outlook. The entire process is explained in the instructions below.
- Create a new Gmail account.
- Open Gmail settings by clicking the Gear icon on the top menu, and select See all settings.
- In the Settings window that opens, open the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. In the IMAP access section, make sure that the Enable IMAP option is selected.
- Open Outlook for Mac and go to Outlook > Preferences > Personal Settings > Accounts. Then click the + button at the bottom to set up the Gmail account in the application.
- After the Gmail account is added, right-click the account’s INBOX folder. Then select New Folder in the menu and save a new folder with the name OLMtransfer.
- Select the OLM emails (already existing in Outlook 2016 for Mac) you want to view in Windows Outlook. Then, drag and drop these emails on the OLMtransfer folder. Now, these emails will be uploaded to the Google Server under your account.
- Open your Gmail inbox in a web browser to confirm that all OLM emails are successfully synchronized with the Gmail account.
- Launch Windows Outlook on another system and set up the same Gmail account in the application. Then wait for the application to download Gmail emails from Google Server.
- Once all emails are downloaded to the Gmail account in Windows Outlook, you can read the desired emails. In this way, you can view OLM file in Windows.
How to View OLM File in Windows with Automation?
If you want a simple method to view Mac Outlook’s OLM in Windows Outlook, you can use an advanced third-party software program. For instance, you can use Stellar Converter for OLM to view OLM easily. It’s not an OLM viewer tool- it’s more than that.
Stellar Converter for OLM is an advanced software application that can convert Mac Outlook’s data files (OLMs) into Windows Outlook-compatible PSTs. It offers the best solution to view OLM files in Windows Outlook as it’s fast, safe, and easy to use.
The following are some of the top features of Stellar Converter for OLM:
- Converts the entire OLM mailbox, including emails, attachments, contacts, etc. into the desired file format
- Converts OLM into PST, EML, and MSG
- Technician edition exports OLM mailbox to an Office 365 account directly. It also saves OLM in PDF, HTML, and RTF
- Automatically finds OLM files on the system
- Previews complete OLM mailbox before saving the data
- Generates log reports of all conversion tasks
Steps to Use Stellar Converter for OLM to View OLM in Windows
- Launch the software. In the Select OLM File window that opens, provide the OLM file’s location. You can also click the Find button to have the software find the OLM file automatically.
- Click the Convert button to initiate the file conversion process.
- Once the software successfully converts OLM, preview the mailbox data in the interface.
- Select the items that you want to convert and click the Save Converted Mailbox button under the top menu.
- In the Save As window, select the PST option and click Next.
- In the Save File window, select the appropriate save option and provide a location for saving the converted file. You can also perform selective conversion by clicking the Apply Filter link at the window’s bottom-left corner.
- Click Save to save the converted mailbox on your system.
After the file is saved on your system, you can open it on Windows Outlook directly by using Outlook’s Import and Export Wizard. Although you can use Stellar Converter for OLM as an OLM file viewer and as a converter software to convert OLM to PST, MSG, EML, HTML, PDF, and RTF formats.
You may find it challenging to view OLM in Windows Outlook. However, you can use a DIY manual method to access OLM mailbox in Windows Outlook. If you want to simplify the process, you can use Stellar Converter for OLM application to convert OLM to PST safely and directly. You can use this software (Technician edition) to convert OLM to other formats, such as HTML, PDF, EML, etc.