Summary: When the Outlook error 0x80070057 occurs, you may not able to send/receive the emails. In this post, we’ve mentioned various methods to fix error 0x80070057. We have also mentioned an advanced Outlook repair tool that can help resolve the error by repairing the corrupt PST file.
MS Outlook users sometimes experience errors that may stop them using certain Outlook functions or freeze the application. The error code 0x80070057 is one such error. The error usually occurs while performing the sending or receiving operations or connecting the Outlook with the mailbox server. Due to this, the users are not able to send or receive the emails. This error may also occur when the user selects the auto-account setup to configure a new profile in Outlook instead of manual method, there are problems with Windows installation, or there is corruption in Outlook data file (PST).
How to Fix Error Code 0x80070057 in MS Outlook?
Below we’ve mentioned some effective methods to fix error 0x80070057 in Outlook:
Method 1: Reinstall MS Outlook Email Client
Sometimes, the error code 0x80070057 in Outlook occurs due to a problem with Outlook installation. In such a case, you can reinstall your Outlook application. Follow the given steps:
- Close the MS Outlook application.
- Go to Control Panel > Program and Features.
- Uninstall the MS Office program and re-install the latest pack.
- Restart your system.
Method 2: Run Outlook in Safe Mode
You can run Outlook in safe mode and try to check if any add-in is creating the issue. If you find out that a particular add-in is the cause of the problem, you can uninstall the same. Follow the below-mentioned steps to run Outlook in safe mode:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, type outlook /safe and click OK.
- Further, in the Choose Profile dialog box, select your Outlook profile. Click OK.
- This will open the Outlook application in Safe Mode.
Method 3: Use System File Checker (SFC) to Repair System Files
The System File Checker (SFC) tool is an in-built utility in Windows that helps to scan, detect, and repair corrupted Windows system files. The corrupted files sometimes cause an issue in Windows installation and functioning of other installed applications, such as Outlook. You can use this utility to repair the system files. Follow these steps:
- In the search bar, type cmd.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- In the command prompt window, type sfc/scannow and follow the given instructions.
Method 4: Repair Outlook PST File
The error code 0x80070057 may also occur due to a corrupt PST file. You can use the Outlook in-built Inbox Repair Tool or scanpst.exe to repair the corrupt PST file.
You can find the scanpst.exe at the below-mentioned locations:
- 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office1X
- 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office1X
- 64-bit Outlook: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office1X
When found, follow the given steps:
- Double-click the scanpst.exe to launch it.
- Select the corrupt PST file and choose Start to begin the scanning process.
- When the errors are displayed, choose the Repair option.
If the above method does not work, it means that the Outlook data file is severely corrupted. In such a case, you can use an advanced PST file repair software, such as Stellar Repair for Outlook. The software is easy-to-use and can repair severely corrupt PST file of any size in a few simple steps.
Benefits of Using Stellar Repair for Outlook
- Repairs severely corrupted PST files of all sizes
- Recovers all mailbox items, such as emails, calendar items, notes, etc.
- Offers preview of Outlook mailbox before saving it
- Saves the repaired data in multiple formats, like PST, MSG, HTML, EML, PDF, and RTF
- Recovers deleted items from PST file
- Splits and compacts large-sized PST files (Technician edition)
- Exports repaired mailbox data to Office 365 (Technician edition)
The Outlook error 0x80070057 may occur due to various reasons, such as problem with Windows installation, outdated disk drivers, corrupt Outlook PST file, etc. You can follow the methods mentioned in this post to fix error 0x80070057. If the error occurs due to corrupt PST file, you can use Inbox Repair tool to repair the file. However, this utility has certain limitations. As an alternative, you can use an advanced PST repair tool, such as Stellar Repair for Outlook. The software can easily repair even severely corrupt PST files of any size and recover all the mailbox data.