Action sports, documentary, or music, Virtual Reality (VR) or 360-degree videos bring immersive experience for viewers. The technology excites, as you can experience real-time video content and choose what and where to look in a video.
Google introduced 360-degree in YouTube videos and so have Vimeo and Facebook. Companies like Amazon are also bringing it to enhance the shopping experience of its users.
However, not every computer, smartphone or browser can play 360-degree videos. There are specific device and platform required to upload and play them. But, mostly users are ignorant about this. This is apparent from the fact, that since the advent of 360-degree VR videos, there are several complaints of these videos not working.
This post, shares how to fix 360-degree videos not working in different situations. The video issue can emerge in computer, Android, or iPhone….Read on to know how to fix them as per your case.
- 360 video not working on computer
- 360 video not working on phone
- 360 video not working on YouTube
360-degree video not working on computer
1. Use a 360-degree video repair software
You recorded 360 degree VR video with your GoPro. However, when you play it on computer, it is jerky, shaky, lagging, blurry or not opening at all. It’s so because your video has turned corrupt and needs a repair. Read more on how to repair blurry video
You can repair such corrupt or damaged 360-degree videos by using a video repair software.
How to repair corrupted 360-degree videos:
- Download Stellar Repair for Video software on your PC or Mac
- Add the corrupt 360-degree VR video file
- Click Repair and save
2. Update PC graphics card drivers
Ensure your graphics card drivers are updated. There are chances your system has old graphics card drivers, which don’t support 360-degree videos playback.
Steps to update the graphics card driver on PC
- Open Device Manager
- Under Display Adapters, find your graphics card
- Right-click on your graphics card, and select Update driver
- If a new version of a card driver is available, it is installed
- Once the process finishes, restart your computer
Read more on how to fix NVDIA graphics cards problem.
3. Turn on hardware acceleration in PC
Are you trying to watch 360-degree videos on Windows computer? Check if the Windows’ hardware acceleration is turned on.
- Go to Control Panel> Display> Change display settings> Advanced Display Settings.
- Click on Troubleshoot If the hardware acceleration slider bar is far left move it to full, towards right.
- Next, click OK and restart your computer.
- Now play the 360-degree videos on your PC.
4. Play in a compatible browser
A 360-degree video can only play in browsers that support HTML 5 format. If you are able to watch YouTube videos in other browsers, it indicates the current browser doesn’t support 360-degree videos format. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Opera can play 360-degree videos smoothly.
5. Update your browser
Even if you are using the supporting browser, ensure it’s the updated version because older versions don’t support HTML 5 format. Thus, they won’t be able to play 360-degree videos.
6. Add Metadata before uploading 360-degree video to YouTube
Does your 360-degree video fails to upload on YouTube?
Probably the video is not enabled for YouTube upload, i.e. it doesn’t have a required metadata for 360° playback. Use a 360 Video Metadata App to enable the video for YouTube.
How to upload 360-degree videos on YouTube?
360-degree video not working on Phone
- Check your Internet connection
May be your mobile data or Wi-Fi is not working properly. So check your Internet connection in first place, when YouTube 360-degree videos are not playing.
- Restart your phone
Turn off and on your Android or iPhone. Sometimes a simple restart also fixes video playability issue in YouTube.
- Calibrate Gyroscope on Android
YouTube videos not working on Android is a common complaint. But do you know an Android phone should have a Gyroscope sensor for watching 360-degree videos?
Gyroscope sensors sense angular velocity and detect the orientation of the phone. If the VR videos are not working on phone, check if your device has a Gyro sensor or not.
Use apps like Google Cardboard and VR Checker that check devices for Gyroscope sensors and 360-degree videos support.
- Calibrate Gyroscope sensor
If your Android phone has Gyroscope and still the 360-degree videos are not working on it, calibrate the sensor. This should fix 360-degree VR videos not working in YouTube or other channels.
To calibrate Gyroscope on Android phones, go to Settings > Accessibility. Select Gyroscope calibration option. Now try playing the videos on your Android device again.
- Update your Android smartphone / iPhone
Whether you use an Android device or iPhone, update it to the latest version. Updates help to fix bugs and ensure the device plays VR videos smoothly.
360-degree video not working on YouTube
- Update YouTube Video app
Are your 360-degree videos not working in YouTube App on phone? Update the app from Play Store.
- Open Google Play Store
- Tap Menu > My apps & games
- Apps with an update available are labeled ‘Update’. Find YouTube App and tap Update
- Reinstall YouTube App
If both your phone and YouTube app are updated, try once reinstalling YouTube App.
- Go to Settings on your phone
- Select Apps & Notifications
- Scroll to YouTube app. Tap Uninstall
- Click OK
You can next reinstall YouTube from Google Play Store.
- Clear cache data in YouTube App
The temporary files in your YouTube app may be interrupting smooth play of 360-degree videos. Clear the YouTube’s cache to delete these temporary files.
Under Settings on your Android or iPhone, select Apps folder. Click to follow YouTube > Storage > Clear cache. The location path may differ with your phone model.
Next play your videos in the app. The 360-degree videos not working problem should be resolved.
Hope you found this post helpful. Do share with our readers in the comments section below, how you were able to fix the ‘360-degree videos not working’ issue.