Summary: This blog helps you to export Domino mail to PST. Also, it describes a workaround to export the mail file without converting it into PST file format.
Sometimes, organizations using HCL Notes (formerly IBM Notes and Lotus Notes) email client and Domino (formerly IBM Domino and Lotus Notes Domino) server may require to transfer the Notes/Domino mail file to PST file format. This may happen in situations such as:
- Microsoft Outlook or Office 365 users’ need access to mail data stored on Notes Domino server.
- Migration from IBM Notes to Outlook or Office 365.
You can directly export Notes mail file from Domino server to PST by using a professional NSF to PST converter tool.
However, a manual workaround is also available that helps to export Notes data to CSV file format, and it can be imported into Outlook. Now, let’s discuss both these methods.
Manual Method to Export Domino Mail
This method comprises two steps:
Step 1: Export Notes Data to CSV Format
NOTE: Make sure to back up Notes database (NSF) file before manually exporting the NSF data to CSV.
Follow these steps to export mail file from IBM/HCL Notes to CSV format:
- Open IBM Notes application.
- Click File, and then click Export.
- When the Export window is displayed, do the following:
- Browse the location where you want to save your CSV file.
- Expand Save as type drop-down and choose Comma Separated Value.
NOTE: You can also choose to export the Notes file to “Calendar file (.ics)” or “Structured text”.
- Assign name to the file you wish to export, and then choose Export.
- From the CSV Export dialog box, choose the desired options, and then click OK.
- Once the export process completes, select Finish.
Step 2: Import CSV File into Outlook
In this step, import the CSV file that you’ve exported earlier into Outlook by following these steps:
- Open your Outlook application, and click File.
- Select Open & Export, and then choose Import/Export.
- From the Import and Export Wizard, choose ‘Import from another program or file’ option, and then click Next.
NOTE: Choose ‘Import an iCalendar (.ics) or vCalendar File (.vcs)’ option when you want to import exported Calendar data into Outlook.
- From the Import a File dialog box, select the Comma Separated Values option, and hit Next.
- In the window that appears, click Browse to select the exported CSV file. Select any one of the options under the Options section, and click Next.
- Choose the destination folder in which you wish to import the CSV file, and click Next.
- Select Finish when the import process gets completed.
Your Notes emails will be imported into Outlook. However, the manual method has certain limitations:
- It does not support directly exporting Domino mail file to PST file format.
- The manual process can be confusing, as there are a lot of steps involved in exporting mail items to Outlook.
- It can lengthy and time-consuming, as it converts one NSF file at a time.
- Novices may require technical assistance to perform the manual procedure.
- Cannot export multiple NSF files to a single PST.
Use Stellar Converter for NSF Software to Export Domino Mail to PST
You can quickly and efficiently export Notes mail file to PST by using Stellar Converter for NSF software. Also, the software can help overcome the limitations of the manual methods, here’s how:
- Directly exports Domino mail to PST file format.
- Export all mail items emails, calendar entries, contacts in 3 simple steps: ‘Select’, ‘Convert’ and ‘Preview & Save’.
- Quickly converts multiple NSF files in a single process.
- The software’s UI is simple and can be operated by any user, without technical support.
- Exports multiple NSF files to a single PST.
Read this: How to use Stellar Converter for NSF?
Key Features of Stellar Converter for NSF
- Exports all Notes mailbox items like emails, attachments, contacts, journals, notes, etc.
- The Technician variant of the software exports Notes data directly to Office 365.
- Saves converted NSF files in multiple formats, including MSG, EML, RTF, HTML and PDF.
- Provides a free preview of converted NSF files.
- Demo version of the software converts and saves first 10 items per folder.
- Supports Lotus Notes version 10.0.1, 9.0.1, 9.0, 8.5, 8.0.2, 7.0, 6.5 and 6.0.
Providing Outlook or Office 365 users the access to Notes email, or migrating from IBM Notes Domino client-server platform, are instances when an organization might want to transfer Notes mail from Domino server to PST.
There is a workaround that can help you export Domino mail to Outlook manually, without converting it into PST. You can export Notes data to ‘CSV file format’, ‘Structured text’ or ‘Calendar file (.ics)’, and then import the ‘CSV file’ or ‘Calendar (.ics)’ file into Outlook. But, this manual method has limitations. It cannot export the data directly to PST, requires technical know-how and it is a lengthy and time-consuming process.
You can easily and quickly export Domino mail to PST by using Stellar Converter for NSF software. The software can convert all mail items, directly exports Notes data to PST, and does not require technical assistance.