Summary: Are you getting video error code 0xc00d36c4 while playing AVI, MP4 file, etc., on Windows PC? This post shares 8 ways to fix video 0xc00d36c4 error. Also know step-by-step, how Stellar Repair for Video efficiently fixes 0xc00d36c4 error.
- ‘I am getting error code 0xc00d36c4 in MP4 files on Movies & TV app.’
- ‘Android video shows 0xc00d36c4 error on Windows 10 PC.’
- ‘Error Code 0xc00d36c4 not playing AVI files after I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10.’
- ‘My GoPro video in USB flash drive is not playing. It throws 0xc00d36c4 error.’
Whether your videos are from a smartphone, GoPro, or other cameras, error code 0xc00d36c4 may pop up while trying to play them on Windows PC.
It is usually encountered after a Windows installation or when you are playing video from a storage device such as a USB flash drive or DVD. Sometimes videos in Groove, Xbox, or Movies & TV app also show this error. Users can also encounter the error while playing DVD/CD music in Windows Media Player.
Figure: Error 0xc00d36c4 message in Windows
What is error 0xc00d36c4 in videos?
The message: This file isn’t playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt. 0xc00d36c4.’ is a Windows error that can occur due to the following reasons:
- The media player does not support the video file format
- The file extension is incorrect
- The Video file is corrupt
- The display adapter driver is outdated
- System drivers are outdated
- Windows Media Player has a copy-protected feature enabled (in case of DVD/CD videos)
How to fix error 0xc00d36c4 in videos?
The error usually occurs due to an incompatible file format or codec. Thus, workarounds involve either converting the video file format or installing the supporting codec. In case, the video doesn’t play even after converting the video or installing the codec, troubleshoot the system drivers.
If none of these methods work and you still receive ‘this file isn’t playable 0xc00d36c4 error’, then the video file has turned corrupt and needs to be fixed with the help of video repair software.
8 Methods to fix Video error 0xc00d36c4
1. Play the video in another compatible media player like a VLC player
2. Download the missing codecs from the Internet
3. Convert the video file format
4. Disable Copy Protection in Windows Media Player
5. Remove and reinstall all USB controllers.
6. Update the display adapter driver
7. Repair with a Stellar Repair for Video software
8. Try AVI repair in VLC Media Player to fix error 0xc00d36c4
Method 1: Play video in another media player
The error code 0xc00d36c4 mostly occurs due to unsupported file format or codec. Playing the problematic video in another media player often fixes this issue. The most preferred player in such cases is VLC Media Player. It is configured to play most of the video file formats.
Other than VLC, you can use Winamp, QuickTime, Windows Media Player, KMPlayer, or Windows Media Center, etc.
Method 2: Download the missing codecs
The video error could be because one or more supporting codecs are not installed on your computer. So download compatible codec(s) for that particular video file format.
To automatically download codecs for Windows Media Player, follow the below steps:
- In Windows Media Player 11, go to Tools > Options >Player.
- Select the Download codecs automatically check box. Click
- Now play the video file. If prompted to install the codec, click
You may also choose to download a codec pack from a third-party vendor. Just make sure you choose a trusted vendor and site.
For more information about codecs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Method 3: Convert the video file format
Converting the problematic video to another file format can play your video. Use a secure video file converter tool that’s free from malware. There are both online converters and desktop converters like Stellar Converter for Audio Video and VLC Media Player.
Below are the steps to convert video using VLC Player:
- Open your video file with VLC.
- Go to Media. Select Convert/ Save.
Figure: Media option in VLC Player
- After that, add input files or streams that require to be transcoded.
Figure: Add file VLC Media Player
- Press Convert/ Save.
- In the Convert window, select Browse to provide the file name and location against the Destination file option.
Figure: Convert window in VLC
- Add profile or click Edit Selected Profile – the wrench icon to change or add particular profile settings.
- Next, click Start. Your converted video file will be saved at the specified location.
Method 4: Disable Copy Protection in Windows Media Player
Does the error 0xc00d36c4 pops up every time you try to play CD/DVD or a mobile phone music on your PC?
It could be due to the ‘Copy Protection’ feature of Windows Media Player. Thus, turn-off this feature to fix error 0xc00d36c4 in music files.
Steps to disable copy protection in Windows Media Player:
- Open Windows Media Player.
- On the top-left, click Organize tab.
Figure: Windows Media Player Organize tab
- From the drop-down, select Options.
- In the Options window, click on the Rip Music tab.
Figure: Windows Media Player Rip Music window
- Under Rip settings, uncheck Copy protect music.
- Click OK.
Now when you play your music from DVD/ CD or external device, error code 0xc00d36c4 won’t appear.
Method 5: Remove and reinstall all USB controllers
‘This file isn’t playable 0xc00d36c4 error’ can also be due to system conflict between the connected external media (SD card, USB pen drive, etc.) and your computer.
To fix the video playback error, try reinstalling the USB controllers of your system.
Steps to remove and reinstall USB controllers on Windows:
- Press the Win+X key and select Device Manager.
Figure: Device Manager options in Windows
- In the Device Manager window, scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and double-click on it.
Figure: Universal Serial Bus controllers option in Device Manager
- Now, right-click on each USB device one-by-one under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and select Uninstall.
Figure: Uninstall USB device option
- Next, restart the computer. The USB controllers will be reinstalled.
Now, connect your USB device to a computer, and check if the video 0xc00d36c4 error is fixed.
Method 6: Update the Display Adapter Driver
As the error code may occur due to hardware conflict, you can also try once updating the display drivers. This may fix the video error.
Steps to Update the Driver are:
- Go to Device Manager.
- Right-click on your driver.
- Click Update Driver Software.
- Click Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
Figure: Update driver option in Device Manager
Tip: If the current driver is up-to-date, just to be on the safer side, uninstall the driver first and then reinstall it.
Method 7: Repair with a Stellar Repair for Video software
If the error code 0xc00d36c4 issue is not resolved with the above methods, your video is probably corrupt. The only way to fix is by using advanced video repair software such as Stellar Repair for Video.
The widely used software is completely safe to download. It effectively repairs any video that is not playing or throws errors like 0xc00d36c4.
The do-it-yourself tool can work on all types of videos, be it game files from Xbox, videos exported from editing software, or those saved on your hard drive or USB player. Shot with any camera, mobile phone, or drone, the software can repair all sorts of corrupt video files.
Simply add the corrupt video in the software, click on the Repair action button and let the software do its work.
Step-by-step: How to Repair video files that show Error Code 0xc00d36c4
Step 1: Click on Add File to add the corrupt video.
Step 2: Click Repair.
Step 3: Preview the repaired videos and click Save Repaired File.
Method 8: Try AVI repair in VLC Media Player to fix error 0xc00d36c4
Free VLC Media Player has an AVI repair feature. Try the function to fix the video error 0xc00d36c4 in AVI files. If your video file is other than AVI, you can rename it to AVI and then fix it using the media player.
Note: Create a copy of the original video and use that to repair in VLC.
Steps to fix video files with a VLC media player:
- Rename the video file to AVI, if it is another format.
- Launch the VLC Player.
- Click Tools on top.
- From the drop-down, click and follow Preferences > Input or Codecs.
Figure: Tools option in VLC
- Select Always Fix across Repair AVI Files.
Figure: Preferences window in VLC
- Click on Save at the bottom.
Now, check if the video error is resolved.
Copy and Paste Hack you may try to fix code 0xc00d36c4
Does the error code 0xc00d36c4 occur while trying to open the video saved on DVD/CD, USB drive, etc.?
Simply copy your video file from the external storage to the computer drive and then play. This hack has actually worked for many!
To Sum Up
Error code 0xc00d36c4 while playing videos is either due to unsupported video format or codec or corruption in the video file. It could also occur because of computer conflict with USB devices. Troubleshooting the error should begin by installing the supporting codec or converting the video file format to another. If these methods do not help, reinstall or update the drivers using the above methods.
If still you continue to get 0xc00d36c4 error, it means the video file is corrupt. It needs a video repair software to fix the problem. You can simply use Stellar Repair for Video software. The tool has a proven success record of fixing corrupt video files that show error 0xc00d36c4 error code while playing.
For any query reach us through comments in the box below.