Summary: This Blog explains how using Staged Migration you can execute Exchange migration from an On-Premise environment to Online environment. It also guides you about Staged Migration. Read on to know more.
In the present era of advanced technology, more and more Enterprises are either bidding or are planning to bid goodbye to their current On-premise Messaging Environment and looking forward to switching to the Exchange Online. The reason for this migration is simply to eliminate the Server edition running capital cost, improve management overhead, and last but not the least, easy manageability.
The execution of this migration process depends on several aspects. These aspects are as follows—a number of users, organization-messaging environment, On-premise environment size, and expectations turning around coexistence, etc. There are othercertain approachesin addition to the third-party migration solution using which this migration process can encounter. One such efficient practice is Staged Migration.
Staged Migration: An Overview
Staged Migration is the migration approach that enables the move from On-premise Exchange 2003 or 2007 Deployment. The prime target of the type of migration is the users who wish to create a permanent mail coexistence along with on-premises environments as well as Exchange Online. To deploy Exchange Online, the users must deploy directory synchronization. The patrons with only Enterprise Exchange licenses can use it.
Who is the Primary Target of Staged Migration?
The medium-sized Enterprises, who wants to migrate Exchange mailboxes to Office 365 (Exchange Online) over a period, are the primary target of the Staged Migration.
When is Staged Migration Recommended?
The Staged Migration is recommended under following circumstances:
• Where there are more than 2,000 mailboxes • When the source email system is either Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
Things a Customer Should Consider Prior to Staged Migration
There are few pointers which a customer should consider before executing the Staged Migration process
• To ensure smooth working of staged migration, a customer should synchronize accounts using Azure Active Directory sync. These accounts are synchronized between Office 365 and on-premises Active Directory domain.
• The primary domain for the on-premises Exchange organization should be in harmony with Office 365 organization.
• Only user and resource mailboxes can be migrated. To enable migration of other recipient types, directory synchronization process is needed.
• If there is any Out of Office message, it will not be migrated.
• Connections to the Source Email System should not be limited.
Staged Migration of Email to Office 365
How Staged Migration works?
The following 11 steps are required to be followed to ensure seamless Migration of Exchange Mailboxes to Office 365
1. Staged Migration Preparation
It involves the following:
• Outlook Anywhere Configuration on on-premises Exchange Server
• Checking whether you can connect to Exchange organization
• Permission setting
• Unified Messaging disabling
2. Verification that On-Premises Domain is the Same as Office 365 Organization Domain
It involves the verification that on-premises domain is as same as the one that Office 365 organization own using the domain wizard.
3. Office 365 Users Creation Using Directory Synchronization
It involves the synchronization as well as the creation of On-Premises users in Office 365. To execute this action, you can choose either Microsoft Azure Active Directory Sync Services or Microsoft Azure Active Directory Synchronization Tool. Upon successful migration, the user accounts are being managed.
4. Mailbox List Creation For Migration
It involves the identification of the users whose on-premise Exchange mailboxes are to be migrated to the Office 365. To create a migration batch, comma Separated Value is being used. To run the flawless migration process, each CSV row file includes information about an On-Premises Mailbox.
5. Office 365 Connection Establishment to the Email System
In this step, a customer requires generating an Outlook Anywhere migration endpoint. This Migration Endpoint will be used by all the migration batches. It includes the credentials as well as setting that is required to connect host On-Premise Server.
6. Mailboxes Migration
In this step, a customer needs to create an individual Staged Migration Batch for each created CSV File.
7. Staged Migration Batch Start
In this step, you need to ensure that the Staged Migration batch is in the process. In this Migration Dashboard, its process can easily be analyzed. In case you find any issue, then you can review its log file.
8. On-Premises Mailboxes Conversion to Mail-Enabled Users
This Conversion step is required to enable that the migrated users can easily get to their email.
9. Direct Email Routing to Office 365
Email System uses the MX Record to search the delivery location of Email. Initially, it is set to the On-Premise email system, but the moment the migration process is completed, it is to be directed to Office 365. Usually, MX record requires 72 hours to get adapt to the change.
10. Staged Migration Batch Deletion
During this step, a customer needs to ensure that all the email being routed are perfected to the Office 365 Mailboxes. Upon successful verification, Staged Migration batches can be deleted quickly by following certain simple steps.
11. Post Migration Tasks Completion
Certain Migration tasks that need to be accomplished. These tasks are such as Office 365 user migrated accounts activation via licenses assignment, Autodiscover DNS record creation to get to mailboxes effortlessly, and On-Premises Exchange Servers decommission.
Steps Involved in Migrate Exchange Mailboxes to Office 365
1. Go to Exchange admin center
2. Navigate to Recipients and select Migration
3. Click on New+ icon and select Migrate toExchange Online option
4. Select a Migration Type screen will pop up. Here, select Staged Migration option
5. Click on Next
6. Now, Select the users screen will pop up. Here, just browse and choose the desired CSV File that you want for the migration batch.
7. Now, Office 365 Verification process will take place for CSV validation. It ensures the following—it is not empty, it is back by comma-separated format, it does not include more than 2,000 rows, it uses the required Email Address column, and does all rows have same column number as the header row.
8. A screen with a number of CSV file listed users will be displayed.
9. Click on Next.
10. Confirm the Migration Endpoint screen will pop. Here, authenticate the migration endpoint information
11. Click on Next
12. Move Configuration screen will pop up. Here, type the name of the migration batch and click on Next.
13. Start the Batch screen will pop up. Here, select the desired option—Auto Start or Manual Start.
14. Now, click on New to create the migration batch.
15. Now, go to Exchange Admin Center, select Recipients, and further select Migration
16. From the Migration dashboard, choose the desired batch and click on Start option
17. If the Migration Batch has started successfully, you will be encounter with a Syncing status on the dashboard.
The Staged Migration Process is Complete.
An Alternative Solution
Undoubtedly, this migration approach is remarkable, however, it is a bit lengthy too and involves manual intervention. It implies that those who are technically skilled can easily use it without any effort, whereas those who are not may likely encounter the risks. Therefore, to combat this situation, there is one software recommendation—a Third-Party Software.
Third-Party Software Solutions are not only easy, fast, and efficient but are free from the manual intervention. Thereby, there is a little risk of errors associated with it. One such recommendation is EDB to PST Conversion software by Stellar Data Recovery.
Steps to Migrate Exchange Mailboxes to Office 365 with the help of Stellar Converter for EDB:
Select Offline EDB option from Home screen.
Select EDB file by clicking Browse button. Click on Start button to proceed further.
Check the Preview of Exchange mailboxes.
Click on Save then select Office 365 option available, click on OK
Provide Office 365 Email ID and Password credentials and click on OK
A new screen will appear to Map Mailboxes. Click on the mailbox which you need to export and click Export
You can now view your Exchange Mailboxes data into Office 365 application.
Stellar Converter for EDB: An Outline
A true companion of all those who wish to convert MS Exchange Mailboxes to Office 365. This noteworthy software solution also converts both Online and Offline Exchange EDB files into PST files. This do-it-yourself conversion tool assists in the smooth extraction of all the essential Exchange Mailbox Data ranging from emails, attachments, to contacts.
This user-friendly tool is compatible with Office 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 and MS Exchange Server 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2000, 5.5. The best thing about this software is its ability to save the converted files into varying formats. These formats are HTML, MSG, RTF, EML, and PDF.
The Way Forward
Staged Migration is the process that occurs as an Office 365 deployment process. This process occurs over time, and it migrates Exchange mailboxes to Office 365. The procedure of this migration is a bit complex and lengthy process. Therefore, a software recommendation— Stellar Converter for EDB is also highlighted to make migration journey bit easier and convenient. This tool is 100% authenticated, easy, fast, efficient, and reliable.