Summary: In the current era, more and more Enterprises are thinking forward to move from an On-Premise messaging environment to Exchange Online (Office 365). Undoubtedly, many of them will migrate shortly. For any Exchange administrator, it is one of the tedious and challenging job requirement to migrate exchange mailboxes to office 365 and Certain factors that are encouraging them to consider this migration process is to enhance management overhead, ensure easy manageability, and reduce capital costs for running the Server edition. Inevitably, Several Methods are available to cater to the migration process. Among these, one of the efficient methods is Hybrid Migration.
Let us get deeper and explore about it.
Hybrid Migration: An Overview
What is Hybrid Migration?
Hybrid Migration is the migration process that enables On-premises mailboxes migration to On-site or an approach to ensure Exchange to Office 365 migration and vice-versa. With hands on this approach, an individual can easily transfer the already existing mailboxes between Exchange Server and Exchange Online. In this process, an individual does not need to create a new mailbox and import information.
What are the Benefits of Exchange-based Hybrid Deployment?
• Freedom to migrate either Exchange Online mailboxes to the Exchange organization or On-Premises Exchange mailboxes to the Exchange Online organization • No need to create new user mailboxes and import information
Hybrid Migration Requirement
• Prior to migration, proper permissions are required • Make sure that the Hybrid deployment between On-Premises and Exchange Online organizations are configured • Ensure On-Premises Exchange 2013 Client Access servers; the Mailbox Replication Proxy Service is enabled
The process to migrate exchange mailboxes to office 365 from On-Premise or vice-versa is simple and easy. Follow the steps below for a successful migration:
Proxy Server Enabling
Now, let us discuss each of these steps in detail.
1. Create Endpoint for migration
The first and foremost step, before executing remote move migrations both On-Boarding and Off-Boarding is to create Exchange migration endpoint. This endpoint includes connection setting for on-premises Exchange server, which runs the MRS proxy service. This MRPS service helps in executing remote migrations to and from Exchange online.
2. Proxy Service Enabling
In the scenario where MRS Proxy service is not enabled on the On-Premises Exchange 2013 Client Access servers, an individual first needs to enable it.
[accordion-item title=”+ The steps to enable Proxy Service are as follows: Click here“]
• Go to EAC and open it
• Now, navigate to the Servers
• Select Virtual Directories
• Choose Client Access Server
• Select the EWS virtual directory
• Click on Edit option
• Now, checkmark on to MRS Proxy enabled check box
• Click on Save option
• Click OK
3. To Move Mailboxes Use EAC
In the EAC on the Office 365 Tab, there is a remote migration wizard using it you can migrate Exchange Online mailboxes to the On-premises organization or can move the On-premises already existing user mailboxes into the Exchange Online organization. You can select any of these procedures.
Migrate On-Premises Mailboxes to Office 365
Steps are as follows:
• Go to EAC and open it • Now, navigate to Office 365 • Click on the Recipients • Select the Migration option • Click on Add option • Select Migrate to Exchange Online • Now, from Select a Migration Type window, choose Remote Move Migration • Click on Next • Under the Select the users’ window, click on Add + option • Choose the On-Premises User • Click on Add • Click on Ok and Next • Now, under Enter the Windows user account credential window, add credentials of on-premises administrator account • Click on Next • Now, under Confirm the migration endpoint window, check whether the FDQN of desired on-premises Exchange server is listed. • Under Move Configuration window, in the New migration batch name text field, enter the migration batch name. • Next, choose the Target delivery domain for the mailboxes that are migrating to Office 365 • Next, ensure whether Move primary mailbox along with archive mailbox option is selected or not • Go to Start the Batch option • Choose one Recipient • Make sure Automatically start the batch option is selected • Click on checkbox of Automatically complete the migration batch • Click New
Migrate Office 365 Mailboxes to On-Premises
Steps are as follows:
• Open EAC • Navigate to Office 365 • Click on Recipients • Click on Migration • Click on Add • Choose migrate from Exchange Online • Under the Select the user window, choose the Select the users that you want to move option • Click on Next • Click on Add + icon • Choose Exchange Online users that are to be migrated to the on-premises organization • Click on Next • Under the Confirm the migration endpoint window, check the listing to ensure FDQN of your on-premises Exchange server is listed • Click Next • Go to Move Configuration window • Under the New migration batch name text field, enter migration batch name • Under the Target delivery domain for the mailboxes, enter target delivery domain • Now, go to Start the batch page • Choose one recipient for receiving batch complete report • Ensure Automatically start the batch option is selected • Next, Checkmark the box for Automatically complete the migration batch
4. Complete Migration Batches Removal
Once the process to move the mailbox has been completed, the next important step is batches removal. The reason for this removal is to reduce errors possibilities in scenarios where same users are moved again. Steps are as follows:
• Open EAC • Navigate to Office 365 • Select Recipients • Select Migration • Click on Completed Migration Batch • Click on Delete option • Confirm it by clicking on Yes
5. OWA Re-enabling for Offline Access
Outlook Web App is one of the great attributes. Offline access in Outlook on the Web allows you to access mailboxes easily even in the scenarios when they are not connected to a network. In circumstances when you are migrating Exchange mailboxes to Exchange Online, you have to reset offline access setting in the browser to use Outlook on the web offline.
The Migration Process is complete.
With hands on this manual method, certainly, an individual can migrate mailboxes to Office 365, but certainly, like other manual methods, there are limitations associated with Hybrid Migration method:
Need some help for migrating Exchange Mailboxes to Office 365?
To combat these limitations, the best solution is the use of a reliable and secure third-party tool. The reason being, it is fully automated and is easy, fast, and efficient.
EDB to PSTConverter is tried and tested solution. It will make your migration journey not only hassle-free and easy but also comfortable. Stellar Converter for EDB is the trusted choice when it comes to Exchange Mailboxes to Office 365 Migration. You can try the demo version of the software from here:
Stellar Converter for EDB: An Outline
An excellent utility designed to convert Online as well as Offline Exchange EDB files into PST Files. With hands on this powerful software, a user can quickly change MS Exchange Server Mailboxes to Office 365. Using this software, the user can extract quickly and seamlessly Exchange Mailbox Data such as Attachments, Contacts, Emails, Notes, Calendars, Tasks, To Do List, etc.
• Secure and user-friendly • Archive mailboxes conversion support • Allows conversion of multiple EDB files • Supports offline EDB data to live Exchange Mailbox • Offers added support to save converted mailbox to Office 365 • Facilitates specific mails searching from the converted file • Facilitates user mailboxes selective conversion to PST file • Offers option to salvage converted data in different formats such HTML, RTF, and PDF formats • Offers preview support for mailboxes and mailbox items such as – Emails, Notes, Contacts, Calendar, Sent Items, Attachments, etc.
• Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 16, Windows Server 12, Windows Server 8 Support • MS Office 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 • MS Exchange Server 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2000, 5.5
The Way Forward
Inevitably, Hybrid Migration is one of the well-known process aimed to cater Exchange to Office 365 migration or vice-versa. However, it is bit lengthy, complicated, and, above all, requires technical knowledge. Therefore, all those who wish for an easy, simple, fast and reliable solution, Stellar Converter for EDB is a sure-shot.
Eric Simson is an Email Platform Consultant and is associated with Stellar Data Recovery from last 6 years. He writes about the latest technology tips and provides custom solutions related to MS Outlook, MS Exchange Server, Office 365, and many other Email Clients & Servers.