How to Perform IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration
Summary: If you plan to migrate IBM Lotus Notes to Microsoft 365, use an NSF to PST converter software, such as Stellar Converter for NSF (downloadable below) or Microsoft Online Notes Inspector (MONTI). In this guide, we have discussed four different methods in detail to help you with the NSF to Office 365 migration process.
Microsoft 365 has gained popularity in the recent past due to several benefits it offers over email platforms, such as HCL Note, formerly known as IBM Lotus Notes. Both small and large businesses are now migrating to Office 365 from other platforms, especially those using IBM Lotus Notes. This is because managing Lotus Notes is not only difficult, but it also lacks several features.
Office 365 provides a collaborative environment where users can cooperate with their team members or customers and communicate better with Skype for Business that comes with Microsoft 365. Moreover, users can access and work from anywhere as Office 365 is cloud-based and available for mobile devices.
Overall, Microsoft 365 handles emails and performs other tasks significantly better. However, migrating IBM Lotus Notes (HCL Notes) data items stored in NSF file formats to Office 365 requires the necessary technical skills to execute the transfer process properly, minimize downtime, and avoid any data loss situation.
|Tip: Use Stellar Converter for NSF to migrate Lotus Notes data to Microsoft 365 without downtime. The software is purpose-built to help Notes users export data directly from an NSF file to O365 in a few simple steps while preserving the data integrity. Download the software demo version from the below link to ascertain its functionality.|
This blog covers various methods to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365. Follow the one you find most suitable for your need.
Methods for Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration
Following are the methods to migrate IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365.
Method 1: Migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365 using MONTI
Microsoft Online Notes Inspector or MONTI is Microsoft’s official guide to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365. It’s an 86-page long guide that explains the entire process of Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration. You can download the MONTI.exe file from here.
- Once downloaded, double-click on the MONTI.exe file and click ‘Browse’ to choose a save location on your system.
- Then click ‘Unzip’. This will extract the MONTI documents to the selected location.
- Navigate to the folder location and go to Office 365 Deployment Tools\MONTI\Docs folder.
- Now open the MONTI 3.2 Configuration Guide and read it to learn Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration process.
This process is quite overwhelming, and not all users can execute this. It will take a lot of time to understand the documentation, and you might end up making errors or losing data in the process. However, if you still want to try it, read the documentation carefully and understand it fully before proceeding with the transfer.
Alternatively, you may follow much easier methods explained below for Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration.
Method 2: Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration using IMAP
Using IMAP Connector in IBM Lotus Notes is another way to migrate IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365. You can employ this manual method when you want to move your business communications to Microsoft Office 365. Follow the four steps as explained below:
Step 1: Create a backup of Lotus Notes NSF files
The first step is to create a backup of all existing users’ mailboxes stored as NSF files. Creating backup before migration is necessary to avoid data loss, which may occur due to discrepancies during the transfer procedure. You can create Lotus Notes archives for backup.
Step 2: Create new mailboxes
Once you have created a backup, the next step is to create new mailboxes for every user having an existing profile in the Lotus Notes desktop email client.
Step 3: Enable IMAP TCP/IP Port for all users
The third step is to enable IMAP for all users. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Open Domino Administrator in IBM Notes.
- Next, click on the Configuration tab.
- Open the Server document for the server that runs the IMAP service.
- Click the following tabs sequentially: Ports – Internet Ports – Mail tab
- Enable the default IMAP TCP/IP Port. To do so, you will have to alter the ‘TCP/IP port value status’ to ‘Enabled’ in the Mail (IMAP) column (By default, the IMAP clients get connected to TCP/IP port number 143 on the Domino server).
- Finally, click on ‘Save’, and then exit.
Step 4: Connect with IMAP Connector
Lastly, use the IMAP Connector to synchronize emails in Office 365 from the Lotus Notes email client.
Once you execute all four steps, migrating to Office 365 environment from Lotus Notes becomes possible. However, this procedure involving IMAP Connector is not without its limitations.
Limitations of IMAP-based Migration Method
The Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration using IMAP Connector bears the following limitations:
• If the Notes client is behind firewall and proxy, it will not connect to the Internet.
• If the Lotus Notes email client is disabled, it will not permit IMAP connection.
• If the IMAP Connector restricts the transfer of calendar entries, then one has to perform it manually.
• The manual creation of calendar entries takes more time and slows down the transfer process.
• The migration with the use of IMAP protocol moves only online data to Office 365.
• The IMAP Connector can move emails of maximum 1 GB size.
• It involves applying various filters that are costly and complex.
Method 3: Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration using NSF to PST Converter Tool
The methods explained above have their limitations and can’t be performed by just any user. It requires technical expertise and understanding of Office 365 or Microsoft and IBM Lotus Notes to execute the process successfully. Moreover, these methods aren’t feasible if you need to migrate multiple accounts or mailboxes from Lotus Notes to Office 365.
Thus, if you want to migrate single or multiple mailboxes on Lotus Notes to Office 365 seamlessly, use an NSF to PST Converter.
Stellar Converter for NSF – Technician avoids all the limitations associated with the manual procedure. Also, it lets you convert and export the NSF mailboxes directly to Office 365 accounts. This helps with seamless Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration and provides you with an enhanced user experience.
It also migrates emails, contacts, attachments, notes, and all available mailbox data items with consistency. Further, it gives you the option to save converted files in PST, EML, MSG, RTF, PDF, and HTML formats. The software supports Lotus Notes 10.0.1, 9.0.1, 9.0, 8.5, 8.0.2, 7.0, 6.5 and 6.0 versions.
To use Stellar Converter for NSF- Technician for Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration, follow these steps:
- Run the software. Click Browse and locate the NSF files on your system.
- Click Convert to begin the file conversion process. The software will display a progress bar when converting the data. Once done, it will preview the NSF items in a three-pane window.
- Preview the NSF file’s contents and select the folders that you want to migrate to Office 365. Then click Save Converted File.
- In the Save As window, select Office 365. Then click Next.
- Enter your Office 365 credentials and click OK. The software will automatically move Lotus Notes to Office 365.
The software takes significantly less time to migrate NSF database to Cloud Office 365. To know about how it works, you can also watch the product video below.
Download Stellar Converter for NSF and migrate a few email items in office 365 for free.
Method 4: Migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365 using CSV File
This is an additional method that you may follow for Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration. In this method, you export the emails from IBM Lotus Notes to CSV format and then import it in Microsoft 365 account. This method is suitable for the migration of one or a few Lotus Notes accounts.
- Run Lotus Notes email application and open the NSF file that you want to migrate to Office 365.
- Click on File > Export.
- Browse and select a location where you want to save the CSV file.
- From the ‘Save as type:’ drop-down, select ‘Comma Separated Value’.
- Then click on Export.
- In the CSV Export window, choose the documents you want to export. Then click OK.
This will convert and save NSF data to a CSV file. Now you can import this CSV to your Office 365 account.
This guide helps IBM Lotus Notes users migrate their mailboxes to Microsoft 365 using various methods explained above. Although all manual methods explained in this post help you perform Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration, there are several limitations and data consistency issues that you may experience during and after Lotus Notes migration. Also, these methods only help migrate emails from Lotus notes. You may not be able to migrate other mailbox items, such as contacts, calendar, notes, etc.
To avoid these issues and migrate Lotus Notes to Office Notes while maintaining data integrity along with attachments and other mailbox items, you must use an NSF to PST converter software, such as Stellar Converter for NSF. It helps you migrate NSF (Lotus Notes) mailboxes directly to Office 365 accounts in a few clicks. It also saves time & resources, and doesn’t require any technical skills; just access to IBM Notes and Microsoft 365 accounts is required.
Best Selling Products
Stellar Converter for OST Corporate
Powerful Tool to Convert Inaccessible OSRead More
Stellar Converter for OST Technician
Advanced Tool to Convert OST, & Split orRead More
Stellar Converter for GroupWise
Powerful software to extract emails, attRead More
STELLAR TOOLKIT FOR OUTLOOK
Manage Outlook Data Files A CombinationRead More
One of my Canada based client would like to migrate more than 140 user accounts from lotus notes email to Office 365 exchange. Could you please confirm your tool provides these 3 features?
1. Read/Unread emails as per the source. If mail read in source then it should be read after migration. If unread then it must be unread at destination.
2. Does it migrate calendar recursive events?
3. Calendar Event: If we mention the location as one of the existing resource name in the event does it migrate same at destination if we have same resource name exist at destination.
4. I am not sure if it is possible if they set out of office configuration (Auto email ) in source and migrate it to destination.
Happy to see that all Lotus notes mailboxes are accessible from Office 365 at Windows 10 PC. now our team can start work on Office 365.
Congrats on the successful migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365. For any technical issue, you can reach at support[@]stellarinfo.com or call +1-877-778-6087
are you sure Stellar NSF to PST converter will perform the migration in an accurate manner?
You can verify the performance using the free demo of Stellar NSF to PST converter. We follow complete transparency to ensure 100% customer satisfaction.
But, I can’t execute without the assistance of an expert.
In this situation, Stellar Converter for NSF is an excellent option for you.
Share a complete guide for Lotus notes to Office 365 conversion.
Read the complete tutorial: Read More
Should I install IBM Lotus Notes before using Stellar Converter for NSF Software?
IBM Lotus Notes installation is a mandatory requirement.
I want to switch from lotus notes to office 365. My mailbox is more than 2 GB in size. With the help of this software, I successfully converted large lotus notes mailboxes to office 365. Thanks Stellar!!