The tutorial explains the process to repair the Outlook profile in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007 and describes some common errors associated with Outlook profiles. It also summarizes the Inbox Repair tool along with its advantages and disadvantages.
Microsoft Outlook is your personal email organizer as all the emails, and other data components are stored on your hard drive. You can access the emails that are downloaded earlier without connecting to the internet. Therefore, all your mailbox data including emails, contacts, calendars events, notes etc. can be accessed anytime even if there is no internet connectivity.
Outlook users sometimes keep their Personal Storage Table (PST) files password protected to prevent others from accessing crucial data. PST is the data repository for MS Outlook. At times, your Outlook profile may undergo corruption, whereby you may face issues connecting to the email from Outlook. This could also be due to some issues in the profile which the application uses.
|Instant Solution: Try Outlook PST Repair Tool to reconstruct broken/inaccessible PST file in three steps.
Here are some resolutions to fix and repair the corrupt Outlook profile in all the versions of the application:
Repair a profile in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013, or Outlook 2016
Repair Outlook 2007 Profile
- Click on Tools and then go to Account Settings
- Select account profile in the Email tab and then click on Repair
- Next, follow the instructions and prompts as displayed in the wizard
- Once the process is completed, restart Outlook to sync changes
Following the above-mentioned procedure, you can resolve minor issues that cause interruption while accessing your Outlook profile. The procedure to repair your Outlook 2010 profile is given in the upcoming section.
Repair MS Outlook 2010 Profile
- In the Outlook window, click on the File menu
- Click the down-arrow sign available next to Account Setting
- Select Account Settings from the given options
- Select the Outlook profile on the Email tab and then click on Repair
- Next, follow the wizard as prompted further
The procedure to fix Outlook profile in Outlook 2013 and 2016 versions is similar to that of the 2010 version.
If the steps mentioned above don’t appear helpful in resolving the Outlook profile issue, you can check for the latest updates. If the updates are not installed for the current version of the application, the Outlook might begin to work abnormally.
How Can the Inbox Repair Tool Help?
Another cause for the Outlook profile to function improperly is the PST file corruption. Outlook is integrated with Inbox Repair tool often referred to as ScanPST.exe. This utility recovers data from the damaged PST file and helps gain access to Outlook profiles. The tool fixes corrupt Outlook 2013 profiles and is quite simple to operate as it works with just a few clicks.
Advantages of Inbox Repair Tool
- The utility is efficient and works accurately in case of low-intensity PST corruption
- Easy to find the ScanPST.exe utility via ‘Search Program and Files’ feature
- The utility is free and installed automatically on the machine once MS Outlook is installed
- Once the scan process is completed, the tool generates a log report that displays information about the items that are fixed
- Helps repair PST corruption issues and validate the internal structure of data components
Disadvantages of the Inbox Repair Tool
- The tool is unable to recover emails and other components of PST that are deleted accidentally or permanently
- Password protected files cannot be repaired using ScanPST.exe
- Integrity of data stored in PST cannot be ensured
- Inbox Repair tool does not repair large intensity corruption issues
- If corruption exists in the body section of emails, ScanPST.exe will not help
Outlook Profiles and Common Error Messages
In most cases, it is the corruption in PST file that makes PST profile inaccessible and calls upon the need to repair the Outlook files. Sometimes, due to high-level corruption, the tool fails to recover data from PST mailbox.
However, there are instances when the tool shows the error message saying “Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool does not recognize the file.” In such cases, only a third-party Outlook Recovery tools can help retrieve data from the corrupt PST file, thus making it accessible.
Apart from this, there are other error messages as well that occurs due to Profile errors. These error messages include:
Error 1: Cannot Start MS Outlook
While an attempt to start MS Outlook, if the app displays an error message: “Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window”, there are several issues which may trigger this error.
- As per Microsoft, the damaged Navigation pane settings file (i.e. profile name.xml) is MS Outlook profile name. If in case, the volume of this file becomes 0 KB, it becomes corrupt.
- If you attempt to start Outlook in the compatibility mode, or the Outlook data file gets deleted accidentally or intentionally, the corresponding error message takes place.
Error 2: Outlook Not Responding
When the application suddenly hangs, stuck in between or freezes all of a sudden, there are chances that either the user profile has turned corrupt, or the PST file is damaged. It occurs if you try to initiate another command while the Outlook is in operation or the mailbox exceeds the stipulated storage limitation.
If there is nominal corruption, it can be resolved with the built-in Inbox Repair Tool, but this utility would not help if the corruption is at a higher level.
However, in cases where the ScanPST.exe fails to recover Outlook mailbox data or is unable to bring the Outlook profile to the access mode, you can try using the Stellar Repair for Outlook. The professional tool comes with additional features that not only recovers data from damaged PST but also helps save the mailbox data in a more organized way, thereby reducing further chances of data loss.
Reference support office