Summary: Sometimes, when trying to open QuickBooks Company File (QBW), users encounter a 'QuickBooks already has a Company file open' error message. This blog provides an insight into the error, possible reasons behind it, solutions to fix it. It also suggests the best QuickBooks repair tool you can rely on to restore your QBW file.
Like other software, QuickBooks is no exception as it occasionally throws errors while managing the huge and complex accounting data. The major pitfalls can be avoided easily when you know how to address those QuickBooks issues immediately.
QuickBooks Desktop is a prevalent Accounting software that is commonly used by Accounts professionals globally. This capable software provides multiple benefits in terms of maintaining financial records of small and medium-sized businesses in a streamlined manner. It is a highly useful software that stores all Company, Vendor, Employee and Customer data, such as templates, logos, letters and images in QBW file. Professionals can open this file anytime anywhere to access all the information that they may have stored in the past. However, there are times when ‘QuickBooks already has a Company file open’ error message is displayed on doing so, thereby preventing the QuickBooks QBW file to open.
Well, the entire error message that gets displayed is as follows:
Reasons for ‘QuickBooks already has a Company file open’ error
The several reasons as to why this error occurs are as follows:
- ‘Folder permission’ issue
- Many QuickBooks Desktop Company file is already open
- Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks Desktop Company (QBW) file
Solutions for ‘QuickBooks already has a Company file open’ error
The solutions to fix this error are as follows:
- Open the QuickBooks Company file directly from QuickBooks Desktop – From QuickBooks Desktop, open the QuickBooks Company file directly. This solution is helpful in case of ‘folder permission’ issues.
- Prevent QuickBooks Desktop windows from opening automatically – If there are many windows opened in the Company file, try to prevent all of those from opening automatically.
- Rename the TLG and ND files that accompanies QuickBooks Company file – If the TLG and ND files that accompany the QuickBooks Company file is damaged, rename both the TLG and ND files. The reason is, renaming these files help in opening the QuickBooks Company file.
- Relocate the QuickBooks Company file to another location – If the QuickBooks Company file is present in the network drive, transfer it to the local drive of the computer system that is being used. If the local file opens, troubleshoot the network configuration. Further, download and run the inbuilt ‘QuickBooks File Doctor’ tool.
- Check the Properties and File Extension of QuickBooks Company File – Check the properties and file extension. Make sure that the type of file is ‘QuickBooks Company file’ and the file-size is 7MB.
- Rename the QuickBooks Company File – Rename the QuickBooks Company file with a name that has not more than three letters. Also, the original file extension has to be kept the same.
Run Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software – Download, install, and launch Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software to remove this QuickBooks Desktop error. Use this software if the error occurs due to corruption in the QuickBooks (QBW) data file. It is a comprehensive software that repairs the damaged QBW data file quickly and easily due to its advanced internal underlying technology and interactive GUI.
Further, it has the following capabilities:
- Recovers all Company, Customers, Vendors, and Employees data
- Recovers payroll transactions, paychecks, etc. and supports various currencies
- Performs advanced recovery from the QuickBooks® backup (QBB) data file
- Provides a preview of all recoverable data present in the QBW data file
- Generates Log Report containing detailed information about the process step-by-step
- Repairs QuickBooks® QBW files created in QuickBooks® 2021 to 2007 version
- Supports QuickBooks® Simple Start, Premier, Professional, and Enterprise
- Compatible with Microsoft Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and 7
This software repairs the damaged QuickBooks (QBW) data file and saves the recovered data components in four quick and easy steps. These are: Select, Scan, Repair and Save.
Note – To use this software, create a blank new QBW file for storing all the recovered data of the QuickBooks® accounting software. If you do not do so, a message recommending the same will be displayed.
To fix the ‘QuickBooks company file already open’ error, all the above-explained solutions are valid. However, if this error occurs due to a damaged QuickBooks (QBW) data file, the error can be fixed only if the QBW file is repaired. This can be accomplished only by effective QBW file repair software. It is here that the use of Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software comes in. Thus, use this software to repair the corrupted QBW file and recover all its data components. Check for yourself how easy and quick QuickBooks data recovery becomes with this software.