Don’t dispose your old or outdated storage drive without knowing its consequences! There are points on which you need to rethink and act wisely to avoid data breaches. The storage device that you wish to dispose might have stored crucial documents or extremely sensitive data. Doing this may result in the stored data leakage and you might suffer from pecuniary loss, identity theft, or other kinds of cybercrime. So, its best to wipe hard drive using recommended ways.
Using Windows inbuilt functionality such as Shift & Delete keys combination to remove all the files & folders from your storage drive or formatting the entire drive doesn’t erase data permanently. Because at the time of deletion, the pointer that points to the file is updated in the master file table (MFT); and during formatting, a new file system is created. In either case, data stays intact on the hard drive but is not accessible from the operating system. These lost data can be easily recovered using a data recovery software or service.
For that reason, complete wiping of storage devices (hard disk drive, solid-state drive, memory card, optical drive, etc.) using a professional data erasure software is a must. After wiping hard drive data completely, try to repurpose, recycle, or resell the drive instead of throwing away as scrap so that you can reduce e-waste and protect the environment.
Who Needs to Wipe Data?
Data eraser software serves various industries and legal authorities and assures full data wiping regardless of the storage device nature or wiping frequencies. Major areas where the erasure software may better serve its purpose include: banking, financial services, & insurance (BFSI); information technology enabled services (ITES); healthcare industry; research & development center; government bodies or regulating authority; educational institutions like schools, colleges, & universities; recyclers and refurbishing companies; hotel & travel industry; automotive supplies; consulting firms; telecom; manufacturing sectors; and others where the need for data wiping utility may arrive.
Why Using Permanent Data Wiping Software is Crucial?
Permanent hard drive wiping software like BitRaser for File or BitRaser will better handle almost any type of data wiping requests, promises to deliver highly satisfactory results, and maintains the level of confidentiality as required by the business. Governing bodies strictly ask you to adhere information security standards & policies to stop data breaches. There is a list of international laws and company policies that ask or run a complete audit to ensure that proper storage drive disposal techniques have been followed accurately. Non-compliance with laws and regulations can lead to punitive fines (especially after implementation of GDPR), which makes all the more necessary to use a permanent data wiping software that follows strict standards.
Importance of a complete data wiping software:
- Compliance: You can wipe data using a permanent data wiping software without breaking the industry rules or statuary compliances needs.
- Standards: BDSG, GDPR, SOX, HIPAA, GLBA, JPIPA, EU-DPA, ISO27001, IT-Act, PCI-DSS, and ISAE 3402-3416. You can implement data wiping standards mandated by international standards-making bodies.
- Reporting: You can share the data erasure live report to the concerned persons. Additionally, you can get permanent data wipe certification, which assures authorities about the complete data eraser.
How to Completely Wipe a Hard Drive (Software Approach)
Data present on a hard disk drive or any other data storage device needs to be securely wiped. There exists professional data eraser software that erases data fully without leaving any chance for recovery through any means. The Software approach is always advised against other permanent data clearing methods such as degaussing, shredding, or physical destruction of the storage device, as the software approach facilitates reuse of the drive, does not generate electronic waste, and meets the regulatory compliance.
Two such software products available internationally for data eraser are BitRaser for File and BitRaser developed specifically to wipe hard drive need of home users and businesses respectively. These software products are considered as the best and secure wiping solutions available in the online market that handles your data security seriously. The tool guarantees to permanently destroy data stored throughout the storage area and leaves no traces of deleted or formatted files to any data recovery experts or proficient recovery programs.
BitRaser for File
BitRaser for File is a user-friendly file wipe software suitable for erasing files, folders, volumes, system traces, application traces, internet activities, etc. The software is really helpful to wipe hard drive data for home users.
BitRaser for File Capabilities
- Permanently erases files & folders beyond the scope of recovery
- Supports 17 data eraser standards including DoD & NATO
- Allows you to schedule the file eraser task
- Provides a checkbox to create a certificate on the search file option
- Offers add erasure list to erase files & folders in a single step
- Provides option to erase unused drive space for optimizing hard drive
- Compatible with Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP and Windows server 2012, 2008, 2003
BitRaser for File Working Steps
- Download, install, and launch BitRaser for File on your PC
- Opt for the Erase Now option from the left tree-view pane
- Select the files & folders or the complete volume
- Click ‘Erase Now’ to erase selected items
BitRaser is a certified data erasure software that wipes data securely and at a high speed from storage devices such as PCs, laptops, SSDs, HDDs, Servers, etc. The software is really beneficial for a business to meet internal/external corporate audit needs with trackable reporting.
- Erases up to 32 drives at one go
- Supports 27 International erasure standards including DoD & NIST
- Allows you to add up to 5 customized erasure algorithms
- Provides comprehensive audit trail, reporting, & certification
- Supports erasure of all drives – SATA, PATA, SSD, SAS, SCSI, IDE, USB
The most important concern for all in this digital world is how to securely wipe their storage devices so that it does not fall into the wrong hands. With BitRaser for File and BitRaser, you are in full control and flawlessly perform wiping of hard drive completely in just a matter of time. Further, you can run auditing reports to ensure that no traces of data has been left on the concerned storage device. In addition, manage IT assets disposal process, mitigate risks associated with highly confidential data stored, and save time & useful resources. The software products help you ensure that there is no way out to retrieve the files once the data has been erased from the concerned storage device.