Summary: iTunes error ‘iTunes could Not Connect to this iPhone. The value is missing’ appears when iTunes fails to detect your iPhone. If you are stuck due to missing value error, perform the 5 troubleshooting methods shared in this post to fix the issue.
The iTunes error ‘‘iTunes could Not Connect to this iPhone. The value is missing’ appears when iTunes fails to detect your iPhone.
The message can appear in iTunes in different situations such as,
- When your iPhone is disabled due to some reason and you try to connect it to iTunes
- When your iPhone is working fine and you connect it for backup or some other task
- When you try to restore or update iPhone using iTunes
The iTunes ‘missing value’ message can pop up with any iPhone model, be it iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone 8, iPhone 7, iPhone 6 or lower versions.
In any case, whenever, you are stuck due to missing value error, perform the below troubleshooting methods to get out of the situation.
How to fix – ‘iTunes Could Not Connect to This iPhone, the value is missing’
Method 1: Update iTunes
Updating applications and devices has proved to be the most workable solution to such problems. So, begin with getting the latest version of your iTunes.
Error, ‘iTunes Could Not Connect to This iPhone, the value is missing’ should get resolved after updating iTunes.
Steps to update iTunes
- Launch the iTunes on your computer
- Go to Help tab
- Click Check for Updates in the drop down
- iTunes checks for updates and install them.
Method 2: Remove restrictions on iPhone
Privacy & Restrictions on your iPhone can also lead to ‘value is missing’ iPhone error. Check Restrictions under Setting on your iPhone and turn them off.
Steps to turn off restrictions on iPhone:
- Open Settings > General > Restrictions
- Enter passcode
- Turn off Restriction
Method 3: Uninstall and Reinstall iTunes
If updating didn’t help, try reinstalling iTunes on your computer.
You can do this only on Windows PC. Apple doesn’t allow to uninstall iTunes on Mac machines.
Steps to uninstall iTunes on Windows PC
- Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
- Select iTunes and click
- Restart your computer after uninstalling the iTunes.
Further, uninstall all other items related to iTunes listed under Programs and Features by using this method. Remove Apple Support software, Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Application Support, and Bonjour and others.
Next, you can reinstall the latest version of iTunes from the Microsoft Store or download from Apple’s website.
Method 4: Use Recovery Mode
If ‘iTunes could not connect to this iPhone the value is missing’ error appears when you connect disabled iPhone, use Recovery Mode to fix it.
Since iPhone in Recovery Mode erases the existing data on your device, ensure that you have the latest backup in iCloud or iTunes. You can later restore your iPhone data from backup.
Steps to Recovery Mode:
- Connect your iPhone to computer
- Open iTunes
- While your iPhone is connected, force restart it, until the iTunes logo appear (To force restart use home and/or volume button depending on your iPhone model)
- In iTunes on your computer, you will receive a dialog box with two options – Update or
- Click Restore
Wait for the process to finish. Next, restore your iPhone from iTunes or iCloud backup.
Method 5: Put iPhone into DFU Mode
Bringing your iPhone to Device Firmware Update (DFU) Mode can also fix error ‘iTunes could not connect…. value is missing.’
Like Recovery Mode, it also leads to complete data loss. Thus, ensure that you’ve taken backup in iCloud before getting your phone to DFU Mode.
The process to DFU Mode is almost same as Recovery Mode. The only difference is that the screen remains blank in DFU Mode while Recovery Mode shows the ‘Connect to iTunes’ message.
Steps to put your iPhone device in DFU mode:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer
- Launch iTunes on computer
- Turn off your iPhone
- Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for about 10 sec,
- Release the power button
- Continue to hold the Home button until you see a message in iTunes – iTunes has detected your iPhone in recover mode. Your iPhone screen turns completely black. Once the iPhone is detected, use iTunes to restore or update.
After you restore iPhone with iTunes, exit DFU Mode. When you exit DFU mode, remain connected to iTunes. Hold down the Home and power buttons on your iPhone. Press the power button and your device reboots as normal.
Are you unable to restore iPhone data from iCloud after Recovery Mode or DFU Mode?
The message ‘iTunes could not connect to this iPhone the value is missing’ gets especially annoying if it appears on connecting a disabled iPhone to the computer. This can lead to loss of photos, videos, contacts, messages, call history etc. from your iPhone.
This post shared five ways to fix the ‘missing value’ error in iTunes in different situations.
You can resolve the problem simply by updating iTunes, removing restrictions on your iPhone or reinstalling iTunes.
In case these methods don’t work, bring your iPhone to Recovery Mode or DFU Mode. They are complex methods, but offer assured solutions to fix the ‘iTunes value is missing’ error.