Summary: In this blog post, we have provided the simplest and easiest method to open MBOX file in Outlook. The easiest way is to first convert MBOX files to Outlook importable PST files by using an advanced MBOX to PST converter software and then import the PST into Outlook. We have also provided a manual method to open MBOX file in Outlook.
Many email clients, such as Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Opera Mail, etc. save the users’ mailbox data in MBOX files. On the other hand, Microsoft Outlook saves the users’ mailbox data in its proprietary file format called Personal Storage Table (PST). You can’t open MBOX in Outlook directly as Outlook doesn’t support the MBOX file format. To open MBOX in Microsoft Outlook, you need to first convert MBOX files to PST by using an MBOX to PST converter and then import the PST into Outlook.
How to Open MBOX File in Outlook?
The easiest way to open MBOX file in Outlook is by converting the MBOX file to PST format by using an advanced MBOX to PST converter application, such as Stellar Converter for MBOX. You can then import the PST into Microsoft Outlook. This way, you can open MBOX file in MS Outlook.
Why Stellar Converter for MBOX?
Stellar Converter for MBOX offers several useful features that help in smooth MBOX to PST conversion. Some best features of the software are:
- Supports all popular MBOX-based email clients, such as Apple Mail, Eudora, SeaMonkey, Thunderbird, Netscape, Spicebird, Pocomail, etc.
- Converts MBOX files to PST with 100% accuracy
- Offers advanced filters for selective data conversion
- Previews MBOX emails and other mailbox items before saving
- Saves MBOX mailbox in a new or existing PST file
- Converts multiple MBOX files into PST in a single batch (Technician edition)
- Exports MBOX data to Office 365 account (Technician edition)
- Saves MBOX data in RTF, PDF, and HTML formats (Technician edition)
Steps to Convert MBOX to PST by using Stellar Converter for MBOX
To convert MBOX file into Microsoft Outlook PST format by using the software, follow these steps:
- Launch the software. In Select MBOX window that opens, select the email client whose MBOX file you are using. Then, click the ‘Select File’ option and browse the MBOX file stored on your system. If you don’t know the MBOX file’s location, click the Find file button.
- After selecting the MBOX file, click the Convert button to initiate the file conversion process. After the file is converted, the software will list all the contents of the MBOX file.
- In the preview window, select the items that you want to save in PST. Then click Save Converted File button under the Home tab.
- In the Save As window, select the New PST or Existing PST option and click Next.
- Provide a location for saving the converted file and click OK to save the file.
Once you have converted the MBOX file into PST, you can import the PST file into Microsoft Outlook by using Outlook’s Import and Export Wizard.
How to Open MBOX in Outlook Manually?
You can also use a manual method to open MBOX in Microsoft Outlook. The manual method is time-consuming, requires attention to detail, and may not be 100% accurate.
To open MBOX file in Outlook manually, follow these steps:
- Install Thunderbird on your system.
- Create a dummy account in Thunderbird in which you can import the MBOX file.
- After you’ve set up the dummy account, right-click Local Folders and select Settings from the menu.
- In the Account Settings window that opens, click the Browse button inside Local Folders tab. Provide the folder where the MBOX file is saved.
- Restart Thunderbird. The emails saved in MBOX file will now appear under the Local Folders tab in the main window.
- Set up a new Gmail account in Thunderbird and drag-and-drop the MBOX file’s emails in the Gmail account’s Inbox.
- After all MBOX emails are copied to the Gmail account, close Thunderbird.
- Launch Outlook and set up the same Gmail account you used earlier. All the MBOX emails that are copied to the Gmail server will be downloaded to your Outlook account.
You can’t open MBOX emails in Microsoft Outlook directly. This is because MBOX file format is not supported in Outlook. To open MBOX in Outlook, you can export MBOX mailbox to Outlook PST by using a powerful MBOX to PST converter software. This is the easiest method to open MBOX file in Outlook. Alternatively, you can use the manual method to open MBOX file in Outlook. However, this method is time-consuming and tedious, especially when you want to export a large number of MBOX emails. Additionally, you need to be technically adept to apply this method.