Summary: Upgraded to new iPhone? But unable to transfer your old iPhone’s data to the new one? This post shares the best ways to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone. Use this step-by-step guide to transfer photos, videos, messages, contacts, chats, etc., between all iPhone variants, be it iPhone 12, 11, X, XS, 8 plus or older.
‘I have just bought the new iPhone 12. My old iPhone 8 has about 60GB data. It is mostly photos and videos. What is the best way of transferring my photos, videos, contacts, messages, and other data, to my new iPhone 12?’
For iPhone lovers, getting a new iPhone is a charm. But transferring the old iPhone data to a new iOS device can sometimes become cumbersome. Your iPhone data transfer process may fail or get stuck in between. Or you may not have a clue as to how to get your precious photos, videos, music, etc., from the old to the new iOS device.
No worries. This post answers all your queries. Here we will share the best methods to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone. Whether you’re upgrading to new iPhone 12, iPhone 11, iPhone X, or other, you can use these methods to get your old iPhone data on your new iOS device.
Let’s get into the detailed steps of each method.
How to transfer all your data from an old iPhone to a new iPhone
The best way to transfer everything from the old iPhone to the new iOS device is through Apple’s backup utilities – iCloud and iTunes. Also, there’s another faster and easier way too, i.e., Quick Start, if you’re using the latest iOS.
The iPhone to iPhone data transfer process is simple. But you have to ensure a couple of things:
- Your old iPhone should run on the latest iOS.
- You have the latest backup created in iCloud or iTunes.
This will free you from the new iOS device compatibility issues, thereby avoiding any glitches during the iPhone data transfer.
Best 3 ways to transfer everything from old iPhone to new iPhone
How to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone using iCloud
Update your current iPhone’s iOS and create the latest backup in iCloud. And then transfer everything from photos, videos, contacts, messages, Safari bookmarks, Calendar, FaceTime, WhatsApp, Kik messages, etc., to the new iPhone.
You don’t need to connect your iPhone to PC or Mac to back up your data with iCloud. Just keep your iPhone connected to Wi-Fi and plugged into power throughout the process.
|What data can you transfer via iCloud backup?|
Almost everything including apps data, Contacts, Call History, Calendars, Notes, iMessage, text (SMS), MMS messages, photos, videos, iCloud Photos, device settings, home screen and app organization, Apple services like music, movies, TV shows, mail, and apps, etc.
Step 1: Back up your old iPhone data to iCloud:
- Turn on Wi-Fi on your old iPhone.
- On the old device, go to Settings > (your name) > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Turn on iCloud Backup.
- Tap Back Up Now.
- Turn-off your old iPhone after the backup process ends.
Step 2: Transfer old iPhone data to the new iPhone using iCloud backup
- Insert your SIM in the new iPhone.
- Turn on your new iPhone.
- Tap Wi-Fi network and follow the instructions until you see the Apps & Data screen.
- Tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Sign in to your iCloud account using Apple ID and password. If you have App Store or iTunes content using different Apple IDs, sign in to each, when asked. If you don’t remember the Apple passwords, skip by choosing ‘Don’t have an Apple ID or forgot it’.
- Tap Next > Agree > Tap Agree again.
- Choose the recent backup and wait for the restore process to finish.
How to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone with iTunes
To transfer all your data from an old iPhone to a new iPhone, first, back up your previous device in iTunes. Next, transfer the data to your new device.
Make sure you have updated the old iPhone to the latest iOS and have a recent backup in iTunes.
|What data can you transfer via iTunes backup?|
iTunes include photos, movies, audio, videos, contacts, call logs, app data, App Store purchased application data, Keychain, Network settings & preferences (Wi-Fi, hotspots, VPN settings), Memos & Calendar, Bookmark, and Safari history.
Music from iTunes Store is not included in iTunes backup. Plus, Face ID, Touch ID, Apple Mail data, Apple Pay data, and other information saved in iCloud are not part of iTunes backup.
Step 1: Back up your old iPhone data to iTunes:
- Connect your old iPhone to your trusted computer.
- Open iTunes. Ensure you have the latest iTunes version.
- Select your iOS device and click Summary.
- Check in This Computer under Backups.
- Click Back Up Now. Wait for the process to finish.
Note: To check and confirm if the backup is complete: Go to iTunes Devices Preferences. Under Device Backup,your device name, date, and time of backup created in iTunes should appear.
Steps 2: Transfer data to new iPhone using this iTunes backup
- Insert SIM card into new iPhone and turn it on.
- Connect your new iPhone to your trusted computer.
- Tap the Wi-Fi network and follow the instructions until you see the Apps & Data screen.
- Select Restore from Mac or PC.
- On iTunes on your Mac or Windows PC, select Restore backup. Choose your recent backup from the list. If your iTunes backup is encrypted, enter the password when prompted. If you have forgotten iTunes backup password retrieve from here. Next, wait until the data transfer process to the new iPhone finishes.
|Is some of your data missing or deleted from iPhone?|
If you notice some of your photos, videos, messages, contacts, etc., are deleted or not found in iPhone, use a secure iPhone Data Recovery software – Stellar Data Recovery for iPhone. The DIY software restores lost and deleted data from iPhone, iTunes, and iCloud. You can easily recover your contacts, call history, photos, videos, chat messages along with attachments, Notes, App documents, etc. It is helpful as you can choose and restore the specific data that you want rather than recovering everything from the iCloud or iTunes backup.
The Toolkit version of the software has an additional function to erase sensitive data permanently from old iPhone so that it doesn’t fall into wrong hands. It’s smart to use the software if you are planning to sell off, give away, or dispose your old iPhone.
How to transfer old data to new iPhone through Quick Start
Quick Start is a smart Apple feature that offers direct device-to-device data migration. It’s a quick and easier way to transfer iPhone data. Just keep both your old and new iPhones at close proximity for a few minutes and follow the prompts. With Quick Start, you can set up a new iOS device using the old iPhone’s information and further, transfer all your data from old iPhone to new iPhone. Quick Start also lets you transfer Apple Pay, Siri, and Apple Watch data and other settings from your current iPhone to the new one.
Before you start:
- Make sure you are using iOS 11 or above version on both current and new iPhone.
- Insert the new SIM in the new iPhone. In case you are going to use the same old SIM, take it out of the old iPhone and insert it in the new phone.
- Turn on the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in both the iOS devices.
- Fully charge both the iPhones.
Follow the below steps to transfer iPhone data using Quick Start:
- Turn on both the iPhones and keep them close to each other.
- The Quick Start screen appears on your old iPhone and gives the option ‘Set up New iPhone’ using your Apple ID.
- Tap Continue. Wait for your new iPhone to show an animation (a blue ball of particles).
- Hold your old iPhone over the new one to capture the animation using viewfinder.
- Wait for the message ‘Finish’ on new device name and tap on it.
- Enter your old iPhone passcode on your new phone and follow the on-screen instructions to set up Touch ID/ Face ID on your new iPhone.
- Click on Transfer from (Device) to begin data transfer from old iPhone. Wait until the iPhone data migration finishes.
Note: It may take long to transfer complete iPhone data, depending upon your Internet connection and the amount of data.
You love your new iPhone but do not want to part with your photos, music, videos, apps, settings etc., which you captured or downloaded in your old iPhone. Get on to one of the above methods and transfer the desired data to your new iPhone. You can transfer everything from old iPhone to new iPhone with iCloud, iTunes, or Quick Start.
Choose any of the given ways as per your convenience.