Summary: Outlook stores the mailbox items, such as emails, contacts, attachments, etc., in .OST Outlook data file format. Events such as hardware failure, malicious attacks, or system crashes may damage the OST file and lead to a data loss situation. Thus, it is critical to backup .OST files to protect emails as they contain valuable business information. In this guide, we’ve discussed the procedure to backup OST file by using Outlook options and an OST to PST converter tool.
Backup is important for data protection. When it comes to Outlook emails, backup helps when the Outlook data file, such as OST or Offline folder, becomes inaccessible or gets damaged. This may occur due to various factors, like Outlook or system crash, abrupt system shutdown, hardware or software issues, virus intrusion, etc.
In such situations, you can restore .OST file from backup. However, to back up the OST file or its content, you can either copy the OST file to a different location or export the mailbox items, such as emails, contacts, attachments, etc., from the Outlook OST file to PST format via Outlook Import/Export wizard.
Methods to Backup OST File
We’ve discussed two methods to backup OST files in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007.
Method 1: Copy the OST File to a Safer Location
The easiest way to backup OST file is to copy the file from its default location to your backup drive. Refer to our guide to find the OST file location for backup.
Although one cannot access, import, or open OST files in another Outlook profile, you can use a third-party tool, such as Stellar Converter for OST, to access, open or export emails from your backup OST file to Outlook importable PST file at any time.
You can also search and restore specific emails from OST file backup to other multiple formats, such as MSG, EML, RTF, HTML, or PDF and view them using applications, like a web browser. Thus, you don’t need to restore the entire mailbox from the OST file.
You can also use the software to import the emails from OST file backup directly into Office 365 or live Exchange server.
Method 2: Export Mailbox Items to PST via Outlook Import Export Wizard
When the Outlook profile is active and the OST file is in sync and connected to the Exchange server, you can export the mailbox items from the Outlook OST to PST format via Import/Export wizard. The steps to take backup of Outlook are given below.
How to Take Backup of Outlook 2007 OST File?
To backup OST to PST file in Outlook 2007, follow these steps:
- Navigate to File and click Import and Export….
- Choose ‘Export to a file’ and click Next.
- Choose the Personal Folder File (.pst) option and click Next.
- Select the folder you want to backup, check ‘Include subfolders,’ and click ‘Next.’
- Click ‘Browse’ to choose a save location and then click ‘Finish.’
- Enter the file name and password (if you want to password-protect the OST file backup) and click ‘OK.’
This will backup Outlook 2007 OST file to PST.
How to Take Backup of Outlook 2010 OST File?
To back up the OST file in Outlook 2010, follow these steps:
- In Outlook 2010, go to File and click Open > Import.
- Click ‘Export to a file’ and click ‘Next.’
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) from the wizard options and click ‘Next.’
- Select the email folders you want to backup, click ‘Include subfolders’, and click ‘Next.’
- Click ‘Browse’ to choose a save location and click ‘Finish.’
This will backup OST file emails to PST format.
How to Take Backup of Outlook 2013/2016/2019 OST File?
To back up OST file in Outlook 2019, 2016, or 2013, follow these steps:
- Navigate to File > Open & Export and click on Import/Export option.
- Select Export to a file from the options and then click on the Next button.
- Select ‘Outlook Data File (.pst)’ and click ‘Next.’
- Select the desired email folders or profile that you want to back up and check the Include Subfolders checkbox. Then click Next to proceed.
- Click on the Browse button to select a location and choose the “Replace duplicate with items exported” checkbox. Click Next to proceed.
- Enter a password when prompted. You may also click OK without entering the password to start the OST file backup to a PST file.
This will backup .OST file emails to PST file in Outlook 2013 and later versions.
However, Outlook Import/Export wizard is inefficient when you are required to backup multiple Outlook accounts. It is not feasible to back up OST from each account. You can install the Stellar Converter for OST– Technician edition to backup multiple OST files to PST via its Batch Conversion option. It allows you to add multiple OST files and converts them to corresponding PSTs for backup.
Also, if your OST file is inactive or your Outlook profile is disabled or deleted from the Exchange server, the Outlook Import/Export wizard won’t work. An inactive OST file enters into the orphaned stage and thus, becomes inaccessible. In such cases, you can use Stellar Converter for OST to back up the emails from inaccessible, encrypted, or orphaned OST files to PST or other desired formats.
The software also allows to back up large OST files to PST, with 100% integrity and precision.
In this guide, we’ve discussed methods to backup OST file to safeguard your emails from damage due to events, such as system crash, malicious attack, etc. You can create an OST backup by converting OST to PST. Although you can export or convert OST to PST via Outlook Import Export wizard, it won’t work when the OST file is inactive or your profile is deleted. Also, you are required to perform the steps multiple times when it comes to backup multiple Outlook OST files.
A much efficient way is to use an OST to PST converter software, such as Stellar Converter for OST. It not only converts multiple OST files to PST but also extracts mailbox items from an orphaned or inaccessible (inactive) OST file. It supports all Outlook versions, such as 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019.
You can download the free demo version to evaluate the software. The free version provides you detailed preview and lets you explore all options. Once satisfied, you can activate the software and backup all your OST files.