Summary: OST (Offline Outlook Data File ) can’t be opened directly in any Outlook profile or account. When you add an account, it will be automatically created. Or you can recreate OST file when needed. To open OST (offline Outlook Data File) in Outlook 2019, 2016, or older versions, it’s required to convert the OST file to PST data file. You can export the OST mailbox data to PST via Outlook Import/Export wizard (if an associated account is available) or by using an OST to PST converter software tool. The software tool also helps you convert orphaned and inaccessible OST files. By using the software-based method, you can also directly export OST mailbox items to an existing Outlook profile, Live Exchange Server, or Office 365.
What is OST (offline Outlook Data File)file?
OST is an Offline Outlook Data file that can’t be opened directly in any Outlook profile or account. . It’s an encrypted file created when you set up an account in Outlook. The file binds to a particular profile and PC on which you have configured your account. However, you can import and open OST mailbox items in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007 after converting them to Outlook supportable PST format.
Personal Storage Table or PST is also an Outlook data file that you can open and import into your Outlook account.
You can Import outlook mailbox items in the PST format either via Outlook Import/Export wizard or by using a third-party OST converter tool such as Stellar Converter for OST. The software converts inaccessible or orphaned OST files. Further, it can export OST mailbox items directly to the existing outlook profile or new PST file.
In this post, we have discussed both methods to convert OST file(s) to PST and steps to open OST mailbox items after conversion in Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019.
Methods to Convert OST (offline Outlook Data File) to PST
Method 1: Outlook Import/Export Wizard
• Microsoft Outlook Installation
• Active Outlook Account
NOTE: Outlook does not export meta-data to PST such as message rules, blocked lists, and folder properties. Also, you can only export mailbox items from your accessible Outlook account. It can’t convert an orphaned or inaccessible OST to PST.
Follow these steps to export OST to PST via Outlook account:
- Open Outlook and go to ‘File>Open & Export>Import/Export’
2. From the options, choose ‘Export to a file’ and click ‘Next’
3. Choose ‘Outlook Data File (.pst)’ from the options and click ‘Next’
4. Select the mail account or choose individual mailboxes such as ‘Inbox’ or ‘Sent Items’ to export them (select one item at a time)
5. Click ‘Include subfolders’ checkbox and click ‘Next’
6. Then click ‘Browse’ to select a save location on your PC or external media
7. Click ‘Finish.’
You may enter a password to protect the exported PST file from unauthorized import. This step is optional. You may click ‘OK’ without entering the password.
This begins exporting OST mailbox items to PST Data File.NOTE: You may need to enter the password once again and then click ‘OK’ to begin exporting PST File (check screenshot).
After export, follow steps to open the PST file on different Outlook versions.
Open OST file in Outlook with OST Converter Tool
An OST to PST Converter tool such as Stellar Converter for OST can help you convert an inaccessible, orphaned, or encrypted OST file to PST, RTF, MSG, PDF, EML, and HTML formats. The software can open OST files without Exchange Server extract all mailbox items such as emails, contacts, calendars, notes, attachments, etc. in PST format with 100% precision.
- Microsoft Outlook Installation
Steps to convert OST to PST by using Stellar Converter for OST
- Download, install and launch Stellar Converter for OST software
- Click ‘Browse’ to select the OST file or use the ‘Find’ option to search and select OST file
3. Click ‘Convert’
4. After conversion, a message box appears. Click ‘OK.’ You may click on the mail items to
5. Under the ‘Home’ tab, click on the ‘Save Converted File’ button
6. Select ‘PST’ option and click ‘Browse’ to choose a save location
There are two editions of the software: Corporate and Technician. The Technician version also lets you export the converted OST mailbox items to Outlook profile, Office 365 account, or Live Exchange server.
7. Click ‘OK’ to begin exporting mailbox items
Steps to open ost file in outlook 2019, 2016, 2013 and older versions
- Open Outlook and sign in, if not already
In Outlook 2019, 2016 & 2013
- Go to ‘File>Open & Export>Open Outlook Data File
- Browse and select the converted PST file and click ‘OK’ to open OST mailbox
In Outlook 2010
- Click ‘File>Open>Open Outlook Data File’
- Browse and select the converted PST file to open OST mailbox items
In Outlook 2007 & 2003
- Click ‘File > Open > Outlook Data File’
- Locate and select the converted PST file to open OST mailboxes
To import PST to your Outlook account
- Select ‘Import/Export’ in Outlook 2019, 2016 & 2013
- Choose ‘Import’ option in Outlook 2010
- Click the ‘Import and Export’ option in Outlook 2007 & 2003
Then follow the PST import wizard.
You can’t open (Offline Outlook Data file) OST in any version of Outlook. You need to convert it to PST file. You can then open or import the PST file to access the mailbox items in Outlook 2019 and earlier versions.
To export an OST file to PST, use Outlook import/export wizard or a third-party software tool such as Stellar Converter for OST. But if an OST file is inaccessible or orphaned, use the software-based method to export OST file data to PST. By using the software, you can also export the OST mailbox items to other formats such as RTF, MSG, PDF, and EML or export OST items directly to Office 365 account, existing Outlook profile, or Live Exchange server.