Summary: This blog will discuss about the QuickBooks abort error. It will explain the possible reasons behind the occurrence of this error and solutions to fix it. If you need to access the QuickBooks Company file (QBW), but QB keeps aborting, try Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software to repair and recover your QBW file.
QuickBooks is an accounting application that is used to keep track of day-to-day business transactions. This includes managing sales and tracking expenses. Using this program, a business’ accounts team can generate specific reports with ease, which can aid in proper planning and tax filing. QuickBooks includes multiple solutions which can be useful for every type of business, irrespective of their size and volume. This is a flagship product from Intuit, which has been in the industry for the last two decades.
However, such an impressive feature suite doesn’t mean that QuickBooks is impenetrable. Some of the nastiest errors can find their way into the defenses of the desktop accounting application and halt its normal working. Take the example of QuickBooks Abort Error.
What is QuickBooks Abort Error?
QuickBooks aborts when it is unable to proceed any further and crashes while the save process is going on or any changes are made to its company files. It is basically the software asking the user to abort the ongoing transaction and resume by restarting the software. Such an occurrence damages the QBWUSER.ini file and results in regular crashes as QuickBooks keeps aborting.
What Causes the Abort Error in QuickBooks?
There are multiple reasons for the occurrence of QuickBooks abort error:
- Damaged or missing QBWUSER.INI files, hardware issues or a damaged Windows.
- Firewall and Antivirus installed in your system clashing with the QuickBooks processes and making QuickBooks abort its current task.
- Configurations of different versions of QuickBooks clashing within a multi-user setup.
- Multiple computers hosting the QuickBooks company file.
- Sleep or hibernation mode is turned on while the computer is saving the company files.
- A disruption between the flow of data between devices storing the files. (This happens only when the files are saved and stored on different devices whereas your computer is on the network)
Now let us see how to resolve the abort error in QuickBooks with some common fixes.
Solutions to fix QuickBooks Abort Error
Solution 1: Download and Run QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool
Download and install QuickBooks diagnostic tool. This tool mainly analyses and highlights faulty Windows components and fixes problems within them. Once it is downloaded, install and run the tool. Finally, restart your computer and then launch the desktop version of QuickBooks application. This would fix the problem for most of the users. However, if not, then follow the next solution.
Solution 2: Disable your Antivirus Application as well as your Windows Firewall
Antivirus software and Windows Firewall are designed to block security threats for your system and thus, inadvertently, they sometimes block certain programs from running on your system. This can cause QuickBooks to keep aborting. Therefore, you need to disable your Windows Local Firewall and installed Antivirus so that they can allow updates and other information shared by Intuit for QuickBooks to download automatically. After making this change, the local machine must be restarted in order to allow the changes to take place. If you are unable to do so, contact your antivirus software provider for more details. They may provide you with possible steps to allow QuickBooks to run on your system.
Solution 3: Rename QBWUSER.ini file on your System
This method is used if the user is unable to open a company file stored on the network location.
- Locate the folder where QBWUSER.ini file is stored. It should be stored at path \Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- If you can’t find it, it means that the file or the folder is hidden. Enable the hidden files and you’ll be able to see the file now.
- To rename the file, right click on the file or folder and select Rename.
- Change the name of the file by adding something like .old at the end of the file name. It should look something like “QBWUSER.ini.old”.
- Furthermore, change the name of .ecml file known as Entitlement Data Store to “Entitlement Data Store.ecml”.
- After changing the names of the above-mentioned files, open a sample company file. If you can’t open this sample file, copy and paste it to another local folder.
This should solve the problem.
Solution 4: Restore QuickBooks from Backup
If all the above-mentioned steps fail, try to restore QuickBooks from your system’s Backup. While doing so, create an Admin user for your Windows. In most of the cases, this will resolve the root cause of ‘QuickBooks aborts’ error and it won’t reoccur. But if you’re still facing the error, try to fix the issue as soon as possible using the below mentioned automated QuickBooks recovery tool.
Solution 5: Use Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software
If none of the above-mentioned techniques work and QuickBooks keeps aborting, avoid any ore hit and trial methods and quickly download Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software. Equipped with the most technically advanced scanning and repair techniques, this professional product is sure to rid your application of all error-causing issues and make it run as smoothly as new. Read more about the product from here.
Download now and Free Preview your corrupt file :
So this was how you can fix the QuickBooks abort error by using the above solutions. If you ever run into this error, you should try to resolve it as soon as possible as further delay may crash your system. If manual repair techniques don’t work, you can always rely on Stellar Repair for QuickBooks Software to save the day by efficiently fixing QuickBooks errors or you can always contact QuickBooks support to professionally fix issues with their application.