Summary: Mac Mail and Outlook supports different data file formats for storing mailbox data, such as emails, contacts, attachments, etc. In this guide, you will learn the stepwise procedure to transfer Mac Mail emails to Outlook with the help of an MBOX to PST converter software.
Apple Mail, also referred to as Mac Mail, is the default email client in macOS machines. Outlook, on the other hand, is available for both Mac and Windows PC. The Mac Mail app stores the mailbox items, such as emails, attachments, contacts, etc., in MBOX file format. However, Outlook stores the data in OLM file on Mac and OST/PST File on Windows system, based on the type of email account configured.
If you want to transfer Mac emails to Outlook, there is no direct way to do so. The most efficient way to transfer Mac Mail emails to Microsoft Outlook is by converting the Apple Mail MBOX files to Outlook importable PST format by using an MBOX to PST converter tool, such as Stellar Converter for MBOX.
In this post, we’ll be discussing the step-by-step procedure to transfer Mac Mail emails to Outlook by using the MBOX to PST converter software.
Steps to Transfer Mac Mail Emails to Outlook
Follow these steps to quickly transfer emails from your Mac Mail to Microsoft Outlook with 100% consistency and without any risk of data loss.
Step 1: Find Mac Mail MBOX Files
Apple Mail or Mac Mail stores the MBOX files at the following location:
The Vx folder varies based on the macOS version. On macOS Mojave, the folder is V6. To navigate to this location and copy MBOX files for PST conversion, follow these steps:
- Open Finder app and then press Command+Shift+G to open ‘Go to Folder‘.
- Type ~/Library/Mail and then navigate to the subfolder to find files with .mbox extension.
- Copy all the .mbox files and transfer them to a Windows PC where Outlook is installed.
You can also export each email folder from Mac Mail to MBOX manually. To export email folders to MBOX files, follow these steps:
- Open Apple Mail.
- Right-click on an email folder and choose ‘Export Mailbox…‘
- Choose a location to save the email folder as an MBOX file.
- Repeat these steps to save all email folders as MBOX files.
- Then, copy these files to Windows PC.
Step 2: Convert MBOX Files to Outlook Importable PST
On Windows PC, where Outlook is installed, download and set up Stellar Converter for MBOX. Then launch the software and follow these steps:
- In Select MBOX, choose AppleMail from the ‘Email Client‘ dropdown.
- Click on the ‘Select Identity’ button and select the folder containing your Mac Mail MBOX files. The software adds all MBOX files from the folder for conversion.
- Select all the MBOX files in the list and then click on the ‘Convert’ button.
- The software starts converting the Mac Mail emails stored in MBOX files and lists them in a three-pane preview window. At this stage, you can click on any email item to see its preview before saving it.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To save or exportMac Mail MBOX files to Outlook PST, you must activate the software.
- Close MS Outlook, if running, and then click ‘Save Converted File‘ in the ‘Home’ menu.
- Select New PST save option and click ‘Next.‘
- Click ‘Browse‘ to choose a location on your PC and click ‘Save.‘
The software will save your Mac Mails from MBOX files to a New Outlook importable PST file.
Step 3: Import PST File into MS Outlook
Now you can import the PST file into your Outlook profile where you wanted to transfer the Mac Mail emails. The steps are as follows:
- In MS Outlook 2019, 2016, or 2013, go to File > Open & Export and click ‘Import/Export.’
- Choose Import from another program or File and click Next.
- Choose Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- Click Browse to select the .pst file, select desired option, and then click Next.
- Select the mailbox folder where you want to import the Mac Mail emails and then click Finish.
Outlook will start importing the contents saved in the PST file and display a progress bar. When finished, you can access the emails from Mac Mail in your Outlook profile.
Mac Mail and MS Outlook use two different data file formats to store mailbox data on the local drive. To transfer emails from Mac Mail to Outlook, you need to first convert the Apple Mail’s MBOX file to Outlook importable PST format and then import the PST file into Outlook. For this, you can use an email converter software, such as Stellar Converter for MBOX that converts the Mac Mail MBOX files to Outlook importable PST format. The software helps you quickly migrate your emails, contacts, attachments, and other mailbox data from Apple Mail to MS Outlook with 100% integrity and precision.